J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: nut-job on February 20, 2009, 07:18:46 AM
The last thing I want to hear in the trio-sonatas is inner peace.  I was that fascinating counterpoint in my face.  Passion, I'm not sure that's helpful in this music.

There is no drama in these sober and playful works, and accordingly Herricks interpretation is nice and -as Don pointed out - uplifting.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

Quote from: nut-job on February 20, 2009, 08:14:31 AM
Since the set is out of print, this is just gratuitous torture.

I have every confidence that Harmonia Mundi will reissue the set. 

nut-job

Quote from: premont on February 20, 2009, 08:56:49 AM
There is no drama in these sober and playful works, and accordingly Herricks interpretation is nice and -as Don pointed out - uplifting.

Actually I have Herrick's, and it is nice.  Johannsen is best, IMO.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on February 20, 2009, 06:49:47 AM
I agree about the inner peace, a fine way to put it, and this quality suits many of the works well e.g. the triosonatas and many of the chorale preludes, but elsewhere I miss some passion.

I agree with you, Premont. Last night, when I was listening to Herrick to play the "Dorian" Toccata and Fugue, I thought the same.

A problem with these organ works is their colossal range. Someone could entitle a complete set, as Harold Bloom, Bach: The Invention of the Human. Complete Organ Works. That would be great because every human emotion seems present in them; but who can express all of them, the whole spectrum?

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 20, 2009, 09:00:05 AM
I have every confidence that Harmonia Mundi will reissue the set. 

I have the Lionel Rogg Complete Organ Works on LP released by EMI.  Did he record any set with HM?

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on February 20, 2009, 02:33:16 PM
I have the Lionel Rogg Complete Organ Works on LP released by EMI.  Did he record any set with HM?

Yes Sir.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 20, 2009, 02:37:06 PM
Yes Sir.

Has EMI ever released his set on CD?  The Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland section of this EMI CD just sounds great ...

jlaurson

Quote from: Bulldog on February 20, 2009, 08:02:25 AM
I've had this cycle for many years and  never tire of listening to it.  For my money, Rogg beats out just about all other contenders.  Be warned that it isn't "complete" by today's standards. 

Oh, goody... because I am getting that, very soon.

And inspired by all that Bach-organ-talk, I got this today to shorten the wait:

Not bad... "grand", but mildly underwhelming given how much I like his Art of the Fugue.

Coopmv

It appears the only set by Marie-Claire Alain that is more readily available now is her first recording.  I noticed a set of the Bach Organ Works by her was available during the MDT sale on the WarnerMusic box sets back in January.  It was probably the first or the second recording as the price was too low to have been the third recording ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 20, 2009, 07:47:37 PM
It appears the only set by Marie-Claire Alain that is more readily available now is her first recording.  I noticed a set of the Bach Organ Works by her was available during the MDT sale on the WarnerMusic box sets back in January.  It was probably the first or the second recording as the price was too low to have been the third recording ...

I doubt very much, that it is the first, as I newer have seen it released on CD.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 20, 2009, 02:41:14 PM
Has EMI ever released his set on CD?  The Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland section of this EMI CD just sounds great ...

Only parts of it. A twofer with extracts are to be released soon.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 20, 2009, 02:33:16 PM

He recorded Bachs organ works three times (until now)

1) For the Swiss radio 1962 on the Metzler organ, Grossmünster, Zurich, released by Oryx (only LP)

2) For Harmonia Mundi 1970 on the J.A.Silbermann organ, Arlesheim

3) For EMI ca. 1976 on different organs, among which the Metzler organ in Cathedral Sct. Pierre, Geneve and the Marcussen organ, Monastery Church, Sorø. More complete recording than the two first set´s. Originally Quadrophonic recording on LP, very few items from this has been released on CD. I only remember the CD quoted by you and the twofer which is to be released soon.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on February 20, 2009, 11:34:36 PM
He recorded Bachs organ works three times (until now)

1) For the Swiss radio 1962 on the Metzler organ, Grossmünster, Zurich, released by Oryx (only LP)

2) For Harmonia Mundi 1970 on the J.A.Silbermann organ, Arlesheim

3) For EMI ca. 1976 on different organs, among which the Metzler organ in Cathedral Sct. Pierre, Geneve and the Marcussen organ, Monastery Church, Sorø. More complete recording than the two first set´s. Originally Quadrophonic recording on LP, very few items from this has been released on CD. I only remember the CD quoted by you and the twofer which is to be released soon.

I just wonder what EMI is waiting for.  IMO, that set should be quite good, though I have not listened to the set in over 20 years.  The records, just as all my other LP's, are in pristine condition (played only once).

Coopmv

This certainly looks like a DVD I should have.  I imagine there will be English subtitle ...

Coopmv

The Bach Trio Sonatas are some of my most favorite organ works.  I particularly enjoy the performance by Marie-Claire Alain on this second cycle recording I bought in the late 80's.  She was absolutely fantastic on the organ and here are the CD artworks on the original CD ...

jlaurson

Quote from: Coopmv on February 21, 2009, 09:23:51 AM
The Bach Trio Sonatas are some of my most favorite organ works.  I particularly enjoy the performance by Marie-Claire Alain on this second cycle recording I bought in the late 80's.  She was absolutely fantastic on the organ and here are the CD artworks on the original CD ...

Just listening to Weinberger's E-flat Trio Sonata. A bit fast, for my taste... It's a cycle that impresses me lots as a whole, but in individual parts I can't say that it features a lot of my favorite interpretations.

Coopmv

Quote from: jlaurson on February 21, 2009, 09:28:50 AM
Just listening to Weinberger's E-flat Trio Sonata. A bit fast, for my taste... It's a cycle that impresses me lots as a whole, but in individual parts I can't say that it features a lot of my favorite interpretations.

I do not have any organ pieces by Weinberger and as such have no clue as to how he plays and how fast is fast.  I do, however, love the performance by Marie-Claire Alain.  I think the pace is just right ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on February 21, 2009, 09:23:51 AM

This recording of the Triosonatas is, as far as I can read from the cover, the fourth (!) recording Alain made (in the time between the second and the third integral). Why she only recorded the triosonatas one more time, I do not know, but I agree, that it is very good, very chamber music like and rhythmically alert.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

You are incredible, dear Premont!

I have been finding out: The Trio Sonatas included in the M-C Alain second set were recorded on the Schwenkedel organ, Collégiale de Saint-Donat, Drôme, France. I don't know the recording date because isn't delivered with my set, but it's said that all of them were recorded between May 1978 and April 1980. It seems that the original set included 21 LPs.

In the Coopmv's disc (a digital recording) Alain plays the organ at the église Saint-Hilaire de Nafels, Glaris, Switzerland. It was recorded on September, 1984.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 21, 2009, 11:22:48 AM
You are incredible, dear Premont!

I have been finding out: The Trio Sonatas included in the M-C Alain second set were recorded on the Schwenkedel organ, Collégiale de Saint-Donat, Drôme, France. I don't know the recording date because isn't delivered with my set, but it's said that all of them were recorded between May 1978 and April 1980. It seems that the original set included 21 LPs.

In the Coopmv's disc (a digital recording) Alain plays on the organ at the église Saint-Hilaire de Nafels, Glaris, Switzerland. It was recorded on September, 1984.

It says 1986 edition on the back panel of the CD.