J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: premont on March 03, 2009, 11:17:14 AM
Neither do I hear any Pachelbel at all in BWV 565.

Isn't the pedal work rather more Pachelbelish than Bachish, though? (And haven't I heard Koopman say something to that effect?)
But yes, we do indeed not have proof one way or the other. Although after reading R.D Claus' book on it, I should think that it's 49-51 on the side of not being original Bach.

prémont

Quote from: jlaurson on March 03, 2009, 12:01:42 PM
Isn't the pedal work rather more Pachelbelish than Bachish, though? (And haven't I heard Koopman say something to that effect?)
But yes, we do indeed not have proof one way or the other. Although after reading R.D Claus' book on it, I should think that it's 49-51 on the side of not being original Bach.

In the Toccata the pedal hasn´t but supporting function. This is a common occurrence in German baroque organ music and may indicate anyone, even the young Bach. In the Fugue I don´t hear Pachelbel in the use of the pedal, rather Buxtehude or someone influenced by him, and this might well indicate the young Bach.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jlaurson

Quote from: premont on March 03, 2009, 12:22:02 PM
In the Toccata the pedal hasn´t but supporting function. This is a common occurrence in German baroque organ music and may indicate anyone, even the young Bach. In the Fugue I don´t hear Pachelbel in the use of the pedal, rather Buxtehude or someone influenced by him, and this might well indicate the young Bach.

I'm sorry... I meant Buxtehude.  Well, that's at least who Koopman talks about.

prémont

Quote from: jlaurson on March 03, 2009, 12:28:05 PM
I'm sorry... I meant Buxtehude.  Well, that's at least who Koopman talks about.

I agree about that, but I do not find, that this rules out the young Bach.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

karlhenning

Even Bach was young once . . . .

Bulldog

Quote from: 71 dB on March 03, 2009, 10:53:31 AM
Yeah, some of them (Rübsam/Naxos).

Since you now indicate that you have little exposure to Pachelbel's organ works, I suggest you stick to the one composer you do know something about.

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on March 03, 2009, 12:22:02 PM

In addition, after hearing every Pachelbel organ work, I'm very confident that none of them has the type of emotional content in BWV 565. 

prémont

Quote from: Bulldog on March 03, 2009, 12:40:14 PM
Since you now indicate that you have little exposure to Pachelbel's organ works, I suggest you stick to the one composer you do know something about.

Highly seconded.
I suppose you mean Elgar. ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

I had been out of house all the day.

Now, I was hoping to read some nice memories about great recitals. But the thread is on fire, guys.

My vote about the BWV 565:

The young Bach searching for a job or trying to strike some people with theatrical effects. Bach is there, but in a youthful and showy sense.   

Just today I bought the set by Karl Richter (3 CDs) recommended by Jens and the first track brought to my ears –what else?-, the Dracula Toccata. Pure Bach, I swear  0:).

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on March 03, 2009, 12:45:55 PM
Highly seconded.
I suppose you mean Elgar. ;)

Actually, I was thinking of the dynamic Dittersdorf. ;D

71 dB

This is very unpleasant forum. Most probably BWV 565 is by Bach. I just told you guys I could believe if someone wise told me it is by Pachelbel or Buxtehude or even Bruhns. Why on earth is the authenticy in doubt if the work is so clearly Bach?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

prémont

Quote from: 71 dB on March 04, 2009, 12:41:43 AM
This is very unpleasant forum.

Quote from: 71 dB on March 03, 2009, 03:19:11 AM
Your imagination is limited.

Part of your problem may be your way of addressing yourself.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Bulldog on March 03, 2009, 07:58:11 PM
Actually, I was thinking of the dynamic Dittersdorf. ;D

One more Dittersdorf?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

71 dB

Quote from: premont on March 04, 2009, 06:02:28 AM
Part of your problem may be your way of addressing yourself.

Well, if he says he can't imagine BWV 565 being composed by someone else than Bach then calling his imagination limited is about stating a fact rather than an insult. At least I didn't mean to insult anyone.

71 dB

Quote from: Bulldog on March 04, 2009, 07:04:56 AM
Let's hope there's only one.

Why? Is someone forcing you to listen to Dittersdorf? You can ignore all the Dittersdorfs there ever was, can't you?

I really don't get the anti-Dittersdorf vibe around here. He's a very fine composer and I enjoy his music a lot.

Bulldog

Quote from: 71 dB on March 04, 2009, 11:10:08 AM
Why? Is someone forcing you to listen to Dittersdorf? You can ignore all the Dittersdorfs there ever was, can't you?

Wouldn't you agree that one Dittersdorf is enough?  Right after this posting, I'm going to check the phone book to make sure there aren't any of them right here in Albuquerque.

bhodges

Quote from: Bulldog on March 04, 2009, 12:08:12 PM
Wouldn't you agree that one Dittersdorf is enough?  Right after this posting, I'm going to check the phone book to make sure there aren't any of them right here in Albuquerque.

;D  ;D

--Bruce

Bulldog

This is very unpleasant forum.

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing at your description of our esteemed board.  

Coopmv

This is very unpleasant forum. Most probably BWV 565 is by Bach. I just told you guys I could believe if someone wise told me it is by Pachelbel or Buxtehude or even Bruhns. Why on earth is the authenticy in doubt if the work is so clearly Bach?

One of my sisters told me while she was an exchange student to China a number of years ago, she met an Italian who was a fellow exchange student and his objective of being there was to complete a research paper that "proved" that Marco Polo NEVER went to China ...