J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: traverso on April 29, 2009, 07:53:56 PM
The Weinberger has to be the MOST complete of 'em all, even among complete Bach sets. ;)

Well, Stockmeier's set contains 20 cd's. He finished his integral in 1981. The 'new' Neumeister chorals weren't discovered yet, and neither were BWV 1121 and 1128. He also didn't play BWV Anhang or BWV deest compostions.
Apart from that: he probably beats Weinberger in completeness.

http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Organ-Works-Germany/dp/B000H9HZGG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241217704&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Organ-Works-Germany/dp/B000H9HZGQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241217704&sr=1-3

This integral really is good value for money, IMO.
Stockmeier is playing on neo-baroque organs (I think, there are no booklets inside), made by Kreienbrink. This must be organ builder Matthias Kreienbrink, who, in 1951, took over the organ building company of the Firma Rohlfing in Osnabrück, Germany.

FideLeo

Quote from: Marc on May 01, 2009, 02:51:47 PM
Well, Stockmeier's set contains 20 cd's. He finished his integral in 1981. The 'new' Neumeister chorals weren't discovered yet, and neither were BWV 1121 and 1128. He also didn't play BWV Anhang or BWV deest compostions.
Apart from that: he probably beats Weinberger in completeness.
(snip)

Weinberger's set looks more complete to me.  ;)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Marc

Quote from: traverso on May 01, 2009, 03:37:04 PM
Weinberger's set looks more complete to me.  ;)

Hey!
I would NEVER deny that!

But there's no BWV 573, 576, 580, 581, 584, 597, 598, 692, 693, 743, 744, 745, 746, 748, 752, 753, 759, etc.
Doubtful authenticity?
Sure, but Weinberger did record other doubtful works, too. Three volumes of Werke zweifelhafter Echtheit, even including .... BWV 565! ;)

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on May 02, 2009, 06:06:12 AM
I am just baffled by the fact that Stefan Bleicher has not recorded more organ works by Bach.  I have the following set, which is quite nice in my opinion.  But then I am no expert in Franz Liszt.  Isn't he supposed to be one of the promising younger-generation German organists?

I only know that his Bach disc (Arte Nova) has been reissued some years ago, with a graveyard cover:

That's what I call marketing! Must be a million seller, only because of that!

Marc

Quote from: traverso on April 29, 2009, 07:53:56 PM
The Weinberger has to be the MOST complete of 'em all, even among complete Bach sets. ;)

Forgot to mention in our earlier 'battle' ;):
check out Kevin Bowyer (on Nimbus): 17 volumes on 27 cd's. :o

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on May 02, 2009, 02:26:10 PM

I just received the Weinberger box yesterday and it says 22 CD on its cover ...

jlaurson

Quote from: Marc on May 02, 2009, 02:26:10 PM

With volumes 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 on two discs and volume 17 on three, I count 29 CDs, total.

But that's hardly the point. (Neither is reading the number off the box and reiterating it--we've already mentioned how many CDs the Weinberger contains. )

The Bowyer CDs (everything I have of his I've liked, actually) aren't nearly as neatly/efficiently stacked as the CPOs with Weinberger. I'm missing several Bowyer volumes, but I'm pretty sure that if we list all the works included, Weinberger will show to be even more comprehensive.

Marc

Quote from: jlaurson on May 02, 2009, 11:40:23 PM
With volumes 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 on two discs and volume 17 on three, I count 29 CDs, total.

But that's hardly the point. (Neither is reading the number off the box and reiterating it--we've already mentioned how many CDs the Weinberger contains. )

The Bowyer CDs (everything I have of his I've liked, actually) aren't nearly as neatly/efficiently stacked as the CPOs with Weinberger. I'm missing several Bowyer volumes, but I'm pretty sure that if we list all the works included, Weinberger will show to be even more comprehensive.

Right.
Well, anyway: in the end it's about quality, not quantity, isn't it?
But sometimes I like to be a little corny. I wanted to win the 'battle' that much, it even made me miscalculate. :-[
I haven't heard anything from Bowyer yet. Some time ago, I tried to locate his first (?) Bach recital in the (Dutch) central music library catalogue, but couldn't find it. It was called A Late 20th Century Edwardian Bach Recital. I thought it might have been a good introduction to Bowyer's Bach.

Is anyone familiar with his Bach recordings?

Coopmv

I am just vigilantly waiting for the third cycle by Marie-Claire Alain to be released in a Warner big box.

Bulldog

Quote from: Bulldog on April 29, 2009, 06:42:06 AM
I'm starting a little marathon of recordings of Bach's Liepzig Chorales.  First one up was George Ritchie on the Raven label.  Enjoyed it very much although variety of expression is not wide.  I felt spiritually enriched while listening; that's all to the good.

I listened to an additional four versions: Christina Garcia Banegas on Motette, Peter Sykes on Raven, Gillian Weir on Priory and Koopman on Teldec.  Surprisingly, I find Ritchie more rewarding than each of the others.  Weir's could have a great version, but there's far too much reverberation.

Marc

Quote from: Bulldog on May 03, 2009, 09:45:42 AM
I listened to an additional four versions: Christina Garcia Banegas on Motette, Peter Sykes on Raven, Gillian Weir on Priory and Koopman on Teldec. Surprisingly, I find Ritchie more rewarding than each of the others. Weir's could have a great version, but there's far too much reverberation.

All those mentioning of recordings that I don't have!

Please Bulldog, don't ruin me (financially)! :'(

Sigh.
Checked the library catalogue (again). Only found Banegas and Weir. Koopman I already have.
Apart from the recording sound, I understand that Weir is interesting. What are her strong points, in your view? And what is your (more detailed) opinion on Banegas?
Thanks in advance for responding.

(EDIT: I've already taken the liberty to order Weir's Volume 3 of the Organ Master Series, with a.o. the so-called Lutheran Mass (BWV 552 et al).)

Bulldog

Quote from: Marc on May 03, 2009, 10:06:41 AM
All those mentioning of recordings that I don't have!

Please Bulldog, don't ruin me (financially)! :'(

Sigh.
Checked the library catalogue (again). Only found Banegas and Weir. Koopman I already have.
Apart from the recording sound, I understand that Weir is interesting. What are her strong points, in your view? And what is your (more detailed) opinion on Banegas?
Thanks in advance for responding.

Generally, Weir gives off a strong whiff of "Papa Bach" with his arms stretched out to nuture all takers; unfortunately, the soundstage doesn't quite allow for this full effect.  As for Banegas, she indulges in some clipped rhythmic patterns I don't care for.

Back to Weir.  I also have her volume 3 that you just ordered.  That one's a winner with much better sonics.  If you're interested, you can check out my review on MusicWeb International.

Marc

Don, thanks for answering.
For anyone else who is interested, this must be the MusicWeb link:

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2004/feb04/bach_weir3.htm

Another recording to look forward to! I'm a very busy man. :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on May 03, 2009, 10:48:18 AM
Don, thanks for answering.
For anyone else who is interested, this must be the MusicWeb link:

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2004/feb04/bach_weir3.htm

Another recording to look forward to! I'm a very busy man. :)

Has Gillian Weir ever recorded the Complete Bach Organ Works?

jlaurson

Quote from: Marc on May 03, 2009, 12:42:13 AM
Right.
Well, anyway: in the end it's about quality, not quantity, isn't it?

Precisely. Not he who has the most CDs wins (although the quantity contest seems to please quite a bit, I gather), but he (or she) who takes the most enjoyment out of the music.

A Late 20th Century Edwardian Bach Recital[/i]. I thought it might have been a good introduction to Bowyer's Bach.
Is anyone familiar with his Bach recordings?

I find that Bowyer shines where Weinberger is reticent. The big works. There's a splash of indulgence in his Bach that I really quite like. Perhaps not to the very best effect in the Passacaglia (though that's grand stuff, too), but most everywhere else. If you start with his "Organ Mass", I think that'd be a very good, telling, and favorable (or not, but then beware of the rest...) introduction to Bowyer's Bach.

Marc

Quote from: jlaurson on May 03, 2009, 01:29:40 PM
Precisely. Not he who has the most CDs wins (although the quantity contest seems to please quite a bit, I gather), but he (or she) who takes the most enjoyment out of the music.

I find that Bowyer shines where Weinberger is reticent. The big works. There's a splash of indulgence in his Bach that I really quite like. Perhaps not to the very best effect in the Passacaglia (though that's grand stuff, too), but most everywhere else. If you start with his "Organ Mass", I think that'd be a very good, telling, and favorable (or not, but then beware of the rest...) introduction to Bowyer's Bach.

Thanks for this information.

In about 1 1/2 weeks I will be Organ Massing along with Bach, Bowyer and Weir.
:)

BTW: what I liked about Weir, according to Don's MusicWeb review, is that apparently she has chosen to make both a little and a great 'Lutheran Mass'.
Almost all these third 'Clavierübungs' are spread over 2cd's, so I couldn't program it entirely that way. But I very much understand her choice in this.
In slightly another way, I also appreciate f.i. Van Doeselaar's choice to perform 'only' a great mass, combined with choral singing and works of other composers.

Van Doeselaar link:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Kyrie-Vater-Ewigkeit-Clavier-Ubung/dp/B00000JPYK

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on May 03, 2009, 11:01:43 AM

Not that I know of.
In her Organ Master Series there is room for other composers, too.

She's well-known for her Messiaen performances. She recorded his integral in 5 volumes.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 03, 2009, 11:01:43 AM

If you're looking for another box, Weir is not the answer.

Bulldog

Quote from: jlaurson on May 03, 2009, 01:29:40 PM

I think the "quantity" priority has increased greatly on the board in recent months.  Any ideas why? 

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 03, 2009, 03:22:32 PM
If you're looking for another box, Weir is not the answer.

Just out of curiosity.  I really have little intention to go significantly beyond the six sets I already have.  In all likelihood, I will just add the third recording by Marie-Claire Alain and call it quit ...