J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Listening to Bach's Fantasia & Fugue in g minor, BWV 542. Played by a very young Bernard Foccroulle at the Schonat/Hagerbeer organ of the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, june 1984.
Originally released on 2LP, as part 2 of Foccroulle's Bach integral. Reissued on cd (along with BWV 565, 730/731, 718, 727 and 645-650) as Ricercar RIC 026006. Since long OOP, I guess. Got it in da house thanks to ... the good old-fashioned library!

Mind you: I think that some of these works have been replaced for the 'new' Bach integral of Foccroulle, reissued this autumn, and (shortly) discussed some time ago.

http://www.amazon.fr/Oeuvre-DOrgue-Integrale-Jean-Sebastien/dp/B002JIBCRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251812596&sr=8-1

Young or 'old', I think that this Belgian organist is very much worthwhile as a Bach interpreter. Maybe his playing was a bit more 'stubborn' before his hair turned .... white.

Marc

A short link to La grande Dame de l'Orgue, Marie-Claire Alain.
Playing the Agricola/Schnitger/Hinsz/et cetera organ of the Martinikerk in Groningen, NL (fragment from BWV 542) and in the end giving us a nice summary of Bach's skills:

http://www.floridahurricane.net/videos/video/gq9_NH8BRvE&feature=youtube_gdata

prémont

Quote from: Marc on November 16, 2009, 03:03:10 PM
Listening to Bach's Fantasia & Fugue in g minor, BWV 542. Played by a very young Bernard Foccroulle at the Schonat/Hagerbeer organ of the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, june 1984.
Mind you: I think that some of these works have been replaced for the 'new' Bach integral of Foccroulle, reissued this autumn, and (shortly) discussed some time ago.

Fortunately I got hold of this recording from Nieuwe Kerk/Amsterdam, before it went OOP. I like this more than the re-recording made in St.Martini/Groningen. His playing seems to have become a little more conventional.  But both are indeed good, and I appreciate the fine recorded sound of these two important organs.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Right now listening to the very rich organ sound of the Albertin organ at l'Église de Saint-Louis en l'Île, Paris. It's played, in a colourful way, by Benjamin Alard.
I think I will never get tired of Bach's Trio Sonatas! And this disc is a pleasure to listen to!

Opus106

Quote from: Marc on November 24, 2009, 07:56:07 AM
A short link to La grande Dame de l'Orgue, Marie-Claire Alain.
Playing the Agricola/Schnitger/Hinsz/et cetera organ of the Martinikerk in Groningen, NL (fragment from BWV 542) and in the end giving us a nice summary of Bach's skills:

http://www.floridahurricane.net/videos/video/gq9_NH8BRvE&feature=youtube_gdata

Thank you, Marc, for that nice video. (I do wonder, though, about why it is posted on a website about hurricanes in Florida.)
Regards,
Navneeth

Marc

Quote from: Opus106 on November 25, 2009, 10:01:55 PM
Thank you, Marc, for that nice video. (I do wonder, though, about why it is posted on a website about hurricanes in Florida.)

I stopped wondering some time ago, when Internet is concerned. ;)

But it might have been collected by a Floridan music lover, who has his/her own website and found it on YouTube.

Marc

Quote from: premont on November 24, 2009, 12:43:22 PM
Fortunately I got hold of this recording from Nieuwe Kerk/Amsterdam, before it went OOP. I like this more than the re-recording made in St.Martini/Groningen. His playing seems to have become a little more conventional.  But both are indeed good, and I appreciate the fine recorded sound of these two important organs.

Well, this is an historic event!
I disagree with you. :'(

Well, not entirely: I like both performances, too. But in his younger days Foccroulle's style is a bit too 'snappish' and abrupt for my likings. Although he never gets hurried and panting, like Preston does once in a while.

Right now this sinner is listening to Wolfgang Zerer playing Ach was soll ich, Sünder, machen? at the Hinsz-organ of the Petruskerk in Leens, NL.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Organ-Influences-Buxtehude-Bachakademie/dp/B00004TKEI

Another disc that I don't regret having! (Though it's 'only' a copy from the library.)
I would describe his playing as being kinda severe in his interpretation, but also expressive when necessary and colourful in his registering.

In fact, this is a description that could also fit Bram Beekman, so this would mean that I should rate Zerer rather high. ;) I even dare say that in some of the non-liturgic works Zerer is more rhythmically convincing!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: listener on December 05, 2009, 06:49:04 PM
BACH the 6 organ (trio) sonatas BWV 525-530, (Marie-Claire Alain at l'Église Saint-Hilaire de Näfels (Swiss)   

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 07:16:29 PM
I probably have close to 70% of Marie Claire-Alain CD singles on the original Erato label that made up her second Bach Complete Organ Works set.  I am just waiting for her third Bach Complete Organ Works set to be re-issued so I can grab it ...

We discussed some time ago on this M-C Alain's disc and the conclusions were the following:

It is not a part of her integral recordings. It is a single disc recorded between her second and third integral (digital recording). Alain plays there the organ at the Église Saint-Hilaire de Nafels, Glaris, Switzerland. It was recorded on September, 1984.

On the other hand, the trio sonatas disc included in the M-C Alain second integral –at least the disc originally included there- was recorded on the Schwenkedel organ, Collégiale de Saint-Donat, Drôme, France (analogue recording). I do not know the recording date because is not provided with my set, but that complete set was recorded between May 1978 and April 1980. Apparently, the original set included 21 LPs.

Although perhaps at some point Erato replaced with that digital recording the original one included in the second integral. Is it possible?  :)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 05, 2009, 11:28:54 PM
On the other hand, the trio sonatas disc included in the M-C Alain second integral –at least the disc originally included there- was recorded on the Schwenkedel organ, Collégiale de Saint-Donat, Drôme, France (analogue recording). I do not know the recording date because is not provided with my set, but that complete set was recorded between May 1978 and April 1980. Apparently, the original set included 21 LPs.
The precise recording dates were not even published in the notes to the original 21 LP set, which I still keep.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 05, 2009, 11:28:54 PM
Although perhaps at some point Erato replaced with that digital recording the original one included in the second integral. Is it possible?  :)
Probably not. I have never seen the Näfels recording constituting a part of a complete set. But I know, that the second integral was rereleased on CD between 10 and 15 years ago, and I do not know whethe the Náfels recording was included in this or not, but I do not think so, since the second recent CD release of the set includes the Schwenkedel recording.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on December 06, 2009, 01:57:18 AM
The precise recording dates were not even published in the notes to the original 21 LP set, which I still keep.
Probably not. I have never seen the Näfels recording constituting a part of a complete set. But I know, that the second integral was rereleased on CD between 10 and 15 years ago, and I do not know whethe the Náfels recording was included in this or not, but I do not think so, since the second recent CD release of the set includes the Schwenkedel recording.
The second integral hasn't changed (as far as the Trio Sonatas are concerned: Schwenkedel) and is still available, at least in Europe.

I'm afraid that the 'in-between' recording (Näfels) is OOP. Though internet or library searching can provide a solution to that problem of course.

For example:
http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Sonates-525-530/dp/B000LCIWL6

prémont

Quote from: Marc on December 06, 2009, 02:14:41 AM
I'm afraid that the 'in-between' recording (Näfels) is OOP. Though internet or library searching can provide a solution to that problem of course.

For example:
http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Sonates-525-530/dp/B000LCIWL6

But this is only for completists. I do not think the Näfels recording adds much to the Schwenkedel recording, and if one also has got the Aa Kerk recording (third integral) one is very well-assorted as to M C Alain / Bach Triosonatas.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Marc on December 06, 2009, 02:36:56 AM
Well, I have ALL THREE of them. :P

Well, I have heard even more Bach Triosonatas / Alain,  since I once owned part of her first integral on Danish organs (LP only). Historically interesting, but from an artistic point of view nothing to write home about, so I  parted with them long time ago. Thanks to my ever since growing completism I would not have done this to day. The Triosonatas were recorded 1959 on the Marcussen organ, Varde IIRC.  Also I have heard her at recital (Andersen organ, Vor Frelsers Kirke/ Copenhagen) playing the Es-dur Sonata.  But all in all I prefer the Schwenkedel recording, the Aa recording being a strong contender.  Ideally she should have recorded the works on the Aa organ about ten years earlier, but this might have been before the latest restoring of this organ.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on December 06, 2009, 03:04:38 AM
Well, I have heard even more Bach Triosonatas / Alain,  since I once owned part of her first integral on Danish organs (LP only).
:P

Quote from: premont
Ideally she should have recorded the works on the Aa organ about ten years earlier, but this might have been before the latest restoring of this organ.
The organ was replaced in 1990, if I'm not mistaken, after about 12 or 13 years after the removal (because of collapsing danger).
In 1997 the organ was removed again, for a complete restoration. But this complete restoration still has to be completed. So far, it's been nothing but a story of furious discussions and fights about the way it should be restored. Maybe the job will be finished in 2011.

Marc

Listening to Walter Kraft right now.

Not a bad purchase for € 5.
Less convincing in phrasing and articulation as f.i. the immortal Helmut Walcha, but this disc is certainly not disfiguring my collection. ;)
The recording sound is a bit glassy, though. It sometimes reminded me of the slick stereo sound of the Beatles' Capitol LP's. ::)

Lilas Pastia

Over the years I've heard many various organs and organists. Right now my taste runs toward players such as Vernet, Isoir and Chapuis. I like the balance of majesty and impetus, of  heartiness and brilliance they find in Bach. Not to my taste so far are most of the german and dutch players (Koopman, Leonhardt, Tachezi, Richter). Personally I've always found MC Alain to be a rather dull player. I heard her in concert a few times, and have heard quite a few of her records. She invariably comes across as rather too level-headed.

Bulldog

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 07, 2009, 02:34:00 PM
Over the years I've heard many various organs and organists. Right now my taste runs toward players such as Vernet, Isoir and Chapuis. I like the balance of majesty and impetus, of  heartiness and brilliance they find in Bach. Not to my taste so far are most of the german and dutch players (Koopman, Leonhardt, Tachezi, Richter).

It's interesting that you favor French organists for a German's organ music.  Your tastes are clearly different than mine, but that's the way the world turns.  I do agree with you about Alain.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Bulldog on December 07, 2009, 02:39:48 PM
It's interesting that you favor French organists for a German's organ music.  Your tastes are clearly different than mine, but that's the way the world turns.  I do agree with you about Alain.

I know, it looks like I'm biased, doesn't it? Well, I probably am. But my my bias is more against rythmic rigidity and an emotional palette that seems to alternate between austerity and a refusal of the sensuality inherent in this music. Chapuis is effervescent and buoyant, Isoir blends sweetness and majesty, Vernet has passion and an ability to dazzle without vulgarity. Vernet has one of the most dependable pair of hands and feet in the industry.

Their knowledge of the french organ repertoire obviously informs their playing with a sense of colour that is not really in the northern players' armoury. That being said, the world of organ playing is one of the most cosmopolitan of any instrument. Players travel around the world (where the instruments are), discovering new sounds and different styles of playing (no organist will play a Bach toccata or choral prelude the same way on two different-sounding instruments). In a sense, the cross-pollination ought to produce a similarity of results, but surprisingly, that is not the same. I think the world of the organ is one of the most 'grounded' of any instrument. It's all about tradition. Organ tenures normally last a whole player's carreer, and they seem to live long lives.

Bulldog

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 07, 2009, 04:19:15 PM
I know, it looks like I'm biased, doesn't it? Well, I probably am. But my my bias is more against rythmic rigidity and an emotional palette that seems to alternate between austerity and a refusal of the sensuality inherent in this music.

Leaving nationality aside, I have a different take on it.  There's plenty of austerity in Bach's organ works, and I want the full measure of it.  When I get full measure, the contrast with the "sweeter" and more optimistic side of Bach is more compelling.  That's why organists like Rubsam, Weinberger and Marcon are among my favorites.

Lilas Pastia

I don't think it's a question of nationality, except maybe tangentially. But then again, you seldom hear german-austrian-dutch-scandinavian organists play Couperin, Marchand or Daquin.  Conversely, the german repertoire (from Pachelbel to Bach, to Krebs, to Buxtehude) is an integral part of every organist - even italian ones!

I'm not saying there's a lack of breadth and scope from the saxon-germans, but you'll seldom hear them play french or italian baroque (they don't have the proper instruments for a start), or the french symphonic organ repertoire. Mind you, french and italian organists rarely venture on the english or scandinavian coasts either. There's a lot of great stuff from those countries (England and Sweden for example), that seem to be the province of the locals, so... I think it reinforces my belief of the instrument,  its terroir and their long line of local exponents as prime movers in an organist's interests.

I know it's a bit off subject, but what do others think of Otto Olsson's organ music? For my money, he wrote the best organ music in the last century. Ahead of Reger, actually...

Bulldog

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 07, 2009, 05:39:02 PM

I know it's a bit off subject, but what do others think of Otto Olsson's organ music? For my money, he wrote the best organ music in the last century. Ahead of Reger, actually...

I have Olsson's organ music on Swedish Society - play it now and then but can't say I'm very impressed.  Reger's organ music I find more interesting.