J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 13, 2009, 12:13:26 PM
Should any serious thought be given to the Preston/DG & Hurford/Decca complete sets, or are they a notch below those mentioned above by Premont?

IMO Simon Preston splashes or rather surfs through many of the chorale free pieces in a very insensitive way. Though the Vivaldi arrangements are rather efficient, and the Triosonatas are most beautiful and playful, and many of the Chorales (espec. Orgelbüchlein and Clavierübung III can not be faulted as to expressivity. He uses some interesting if mostly modern organs, among which are the restored Wagner organ, Nidaros Dom, and the Marcussen organs, Sorø and Dom zu Lübeck.

Peter Hurford plays in a "true to the score" and more legato style, common in the 1960es-70es. And like Wolfgang Stockmeier he gains with repeated listening.

But all in all I would not recommend either Preston, Hurford, Stockmeier (and not even Walcha) for someone not too familiar with the works.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 12:48:20 PM
But all in all I would not recommend either Preston, Hurford, Stockmeier (and not even Walcha) for someone not too familiar with the works.

If a complete set is a right idea for introductory purposes - I won't argue that idea-, IMO the best "introduction" would be Christoph Herrick on Hyperion: informed performances, beautiful neo-baroque organs, great sound quality. Anyway, one prevention: I have noticed certain preference of DA for "passionate" performances and this is not the case with Herrick.  :)

Coopmv

I hope to finish at least the Walcha stereo set and get started with the Weinberger set over the Christmas holidays/vacation.  My Ton Koopman set just arrived late last week ...

DarkAngel

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 13, 2009, 01:14:00 PM
If a complete set is a right idea for introductory purposes - I won't argue that idea-, IMO the best "introduction" would be Christoph Herrick on Hyperion: informed performances, beautiful neo-baroque organs, great sound quality. Anyway, one prevention: I have noticed certain preference of DA for "passionate" performances and this is not the case with Herrick.  :)

You are right about that preference.......... ;)

I will probably get the Foccroulle set mentioned previously by Premont (and I believe a favorite of A.M.)
Also the mono Walcha is incredibly cheap (under $20) so I will take a flyer on that.......

Currently listening to a 2CD Hurford/Decca set that I like, but have little to compare it to

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 13, 2009, 01:14:00 PM

Yes, Herrick is a tad too "tame" -  also to some others than DA, I think.
Bach in tail-coat. ;)

But for the average listener I think M-C Alain´s second set is the best solution, whereas I tend to find Vernet´s set the most suited for DA, - or maybe the Fagius set.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 01:45:46 PM
Bach in tail-coat. ;)
I like the well-mannered, kind people; you know my problems with Beethoven, for instance.  ;)

Anyway, I agree, there are great moments in Herrick, but he is a civilized British gentleman.

Coopmv

Bach in tail-coat. ;)

But for the average listener I think M-C Alain´s second set is the best solution, whereas I tend to find Vernet´s set the most suited for DA, - or maybe the Fagius set.

I have a set of Sweelinck's Organ Works by Herrick but have no intention to get his Bach Complete Organ Works ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 13, 2009, 01:41:28 PM
You are right about that preference.......... ;)

I will probably get the Foccroulle set mentioned previously by Premont (and I believe a favorite of A.M.)

It is true I like very much Froccoulle's discs; but he is a very introverted performer and, probably, you should consider that fact too. Walcha's mono set is beyond good and evil.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 13, 2009, 01:57:53 PM
I like the well-mannered, kind people; you know my problems with Beethoven, for instance.  ;)

This is why I would expect you to have serious problems with Ton Koopman´s organ playing.    ;) :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DarkAngel

Bach in tail-coat. ;)

Wait the Fagius/Brilliant Classics sounds like a winner from short samples, formerly issued as 2CD BIS label releases at $40 each! The complete Brilliant set much much lower now, this looks like my starting point (plus the mono Walcha)  :)

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 13, 2009, 02:05:39 PM
I have a set of Sweelinck's Organ Works by Herrick but have no intention to get his Bach Complete Organ Works ...

Yes, two really charming CDs, not the least because of the meantone tuned modern built period style organ.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 02:12:00 PM
This is why I would expect you to have serious problems with Ton Koopman´s organ playing.    ;) :)

But what is wrong with Ton Koopman's organ playing?  I have the new set by him from Presto Classic sitting right next to me.  I also enjoy most works by Beethoven.

prémont

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 13, 2009, 02:12:38 PM
Wait the Fagius/Brilliant Classics sounds like a winner from short samples, formerly issued as 2CD BIS label releases at $40 each! The complete Brilliant set much much lower now, this looks like my starting point (plus the mono Walcha)  :)

You can not go wrong with these, so far the music interests you.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 13, 2009, 02:21:15 PM
But what is wrong with Ton Koopman's organ playing? 

It is far from well-mannered, this Bach set not the least.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 13, 2009, 02:12:38 PM

I know someone who loves Hans Fagius' playing of Bach organ works.  He has the SACD set.  I have Fagius' set by way of the mammoth 155-CD BC Bach set ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 02:12:00 PM

Yes, that's generally the case with Koopman as a keyboardist, although he is another story conducting vocal music. But when he takes his medicine on time, he can be fantastic: I am thinking, for example, in those superb Leipzig chorales –with sung chorales- performed on the organ of the Grote Kerk, Leeuwarden... Probably the human voice has a peace effect over him.  8)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 13, 2009, 02:25:57 PM
although he is another story conducting vocal music. But when he takes his medicine on time, he can be fantastic:... Probably the human voice has a peace effect over him.  8)

Would you go so far as to recommend his recordings of the passions and sacred cantatas? I ask, because I do not know them at all - Koopman´s recordings of course. :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 02:36:47 PM
Would you go so far as to recommend his recordings of the passions and sacred cantatas? I ask, because I do not know them at all - Koopman´s recordings of course. :)

I have Koopman's DVD on Bach Cantatas Nos. 140 and 147, etc.  The DVD was quite enjoyable.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 02:36:47 PM

I would not recommend his passions like a first choice. But his complete cantatas -that cycle also includes the profane cantatas- are consistently fine. I generally agree with Koopman's selection of voices, but one prevention should be made: I love the first three volumes of his integral (9 CDs), but some people -even many people- can't stand the soprano Barbara Schlick, who is present in those discs. I always recall this because a friend of mine literally hates her voice. On the other hand, I love her.

À chacun son goût.

:)   

Lilas Pastia

I didn't know Foccroulle had undertaken an integral set. I have only one disc of it. And it does say Orgelwerke (XIV) on the booklet and back cover  ::).  I find his playing both colourful and thoughtful. IOW unflashy yet quite beautiful as sound.

Fagius is a very interesting musician, an extremely versatile organist with far-reaching interests. I haven't heard a lot of his Bach, but he seems intent on making statements out of the music. Some of the effects sound slightly contrived (the mordents and small pauses inserted in the opening phrase of S.565 for example). But if there's a cheap Brilliant box set, I don't see any reason not to explore futher... :)