J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by premont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: Scarpia on January 13, 2010, 03:40:03 PM
Yikes, Hurford is available again.  When I was looking for it about 6 months ago nobody seemed to have it.  I was fed up with all of those "authentic" organs and wanted a cycle on some modern organs that actually work properly.  But I think I have too many cycles by now to justify another.   :'(

I love authentic organs!

My favourite Bach integrals (Ewald Kooiman, Bram Beekman) were recorded at a splendid selection of old rickety heavy breathers.

And luckilly there are loads of them in my neighbourhood!

YES, WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT!

:P

Bulldog

I tend to love all organs; organists are a different matter.

Marc

Quote from: Bulldog on January 13, 2010, 03:49:35 PM

I can live with that. :-*

(If they're nice & kind people, I might love them anyway, even if they ruin dear mr. Bach.)

premont

Quote from: Scarpia on January 13, 2010, 03:40:03 PM
...wanted a cycle on some modern organs that actually work properly. 

If you can wait, we surely some day shall see (or hear) a recording on electronic organ. I suppose, that will work properly in your sense.

At least some French nerd has recorded Bach´s harpsichord partitas on electonic organ. I acquired it because I thoght it was played on pipe organ. But phew, that is history.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on January 13, 2010, 03:35:27 PM
Thank the Lord I'm not a completist!

Oh, got 2 mails from Amazon yesterday and today: both Hurford and Vad are on their way! 2 Bach integrals, 35 discs, thus far from complete. ;D

Love that biscuit, btw.

I have the original Hurford's 5 volumes of JS Bach Organ Works at 3 CD's per volume.  These may be the only complete Bach Organ Works that I have assembled volume by volume instead of shooting for the big box.  Still hope to tackle the Weinberger set and the Koopman set before the winter is over.     ;D

Que

Quote from: Scarpia on January 13, 2010, 08:19:11 AM
There are also a number of outstanding individual discs, such as Richter's collections of DG and Decca, and Johannson's Trio Sonatas (Hanssler).

Quote from: Bulldog on January 13, 2010, 09:31:03 AM
I agree about Richter, but not Johannson.  I find his Trio Sonatas disc rather heavy and drab, the same opinion I hold for his other Bach discs for Haenssler.  For the Trio Sonatas, Rogg or Walcha are far superior.

FWIW I'm another fan of Johannson's Trio Sonatas.  :)

BTW Don, what do you mean with "drab" ? Untransparent?

Q

Marc

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2010, 11:02:42 PM

BTW Don, what do you mean with "drab"? Untransparent?
AFAIK, drab = monotonous, dull.

I dunno Johannsen's Trio Sonatas, but I do know his rendering of the Neumeister Chorales, also part of the Hänssler Bach Edition. Those performances are transparent, and also .... not extremely exciting (being a soft-minded guy, I try to avoid the word "drab" ;)). But in those early chorales this approach works well.
I have to say though, that I generally prefer to listen to them just before going to sleep .... :-\

Scarpia

Quote from: Marc on January 14, 2010, 03:07:31 AM
AFAIK, drab = monotonous, dull.

I dunno Johannsen's Trio Sonatas, but I do know his rendering of the Neumeister Chorales, also part of the Hänssler Bach Edition. Those performances are transparent, and also .... not extremely exciting (being a soft-minded guy, I try to avoid the word "drab" ;)). But in those early chorales this approach works well.
I have to say though, that I generally prefer to listen to them just before going to sleep .... :-\

What I like about Johannson's recording of the sonatas is the transparency.  The trio sonatas contains the most delectable examples of free counterpoint from Bach and in Johansson's recording I can hear all of the voices with a level of clarity I haven't found in other recordings.  A combination of recording quality, the instrument, the registration, and Johannson's articulation.

Père Malfait

Quote from: Bulldog on January 13, 2010, 03:49:35 PM

Hey! Now wait just a minute . . .  :D :P

The organ world can certainly be cliquish, and some organists can be real pieces of work (the same, of course, can be said for any group), and resolutely unmusical, to boot. Just not all of us.  :)
Lee T. Nunley, MA, PMP, CSM
Organist, Harpsichordist, Musicologist, Project Manager

Bulldog

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2010, 11:02:42 PM

BTW Don, what do you mean with "drab" ? Untransparent?

Q

No, nothing to do with transparency.  I find him a little dull and lacking spirit.

KevinP

Call me low class, but I still get a chuckle from this thread's title.

Bulldog

Quote from: KevinP on January 14, 2010, 06:38:14 AM
Call me low class, but I still get a chuckle from this thread's title.

Looking at it that way, the title should be "Bach's Organ No Longer Works".

By the way, I forgot to mention my favorite recording of the Trio Sonatas.  E. Power Biggs on Sony; he plays the pedal harpsichord.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on January 14, 2010, 06:42:51 AM
Looking at it that way, the title should be "Bach's Organ No Longer Works".

By the way, I forgot to mention my favorite recording of the Trio Sonatas.  E. Power Biggs on Sony; he plays the pedal harpsichord.

My favorite is this one:

(Trio Lezard, three reed players)

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on January 14, 2010, 08:01:27 AM
My favorite is this one:

(Trio Lezard, three reed players)

Purists will be tracking us down. :D

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on January 14, 2010, 08:12:48 AM
Purists will be tracking us down. :D

I assume they will be armed with flintlocks, so I'm not worried.   ;D

Marc

Recently I heard the Fugue in G minor, BWV 578, played by 4 saxophones, and also (if I'm not mistaken) the 3-part Ricercar from Das musikalische Opfer, BWV 1079 (without the baritone sax).
That was great!

Marc

Both Hurford and Vad have arrived at da house.

In short:
After a weekend of listening to both of them, I can say that I'm very happy with these purchases.

Especially Hurford is adding something to my collection. Apparently he's in love with the reed stops of the various intruments he's playing, which gives his performances a bold and intense character .... and I like that. :)
Yes, he plays with legato, though not all the time, and in this case I really don't mind about that. Compared to his compatriots Preston, Herrick and Bowyer, I would say (after selected listening of course) that I definitely prefer Hurford. Together with Herrick, I think Hurford is the most communicative musician of these four. But sometimes I find Herrick too 'soft', when I'm in need of more power. :)

About Knud Vad: indeed (sigh of relief), a hybrid (SA)CD set!
All right, rather old-fashioned readings, with a lot of legato, though with (IMHO of course) a good touch for registrations and in general no slackening in most non-choral works.
Live recordings apparently (the odd mistake here & there, some coughing from the audience), but .... the sound quality is really very good! This Marcussen organ in the Sorø Church (Denmark) appears to be a better instrument than the Marcussen one that Bowyer is playing (Sct. Hans Kirke, Odense, Denmark).
If one is getting the nerves when listening to HIP-Bach and old organs, this integral might be a good choice. The luxurious booklet, in which every single work gets a short description, is a nice bonus!

I admit: I paid only 26 euro for this (including shipping), which appears to be a real stroke of luck. I don't think I would be interested in this integral at full-price costs.
IMO, Hurford is definitely more worthwhile.

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on January 18, 2010, 06:27:39 AM
Both Hurford and Vad have arrived at da house.

In short:
After a weekend of listening to both of them, I can say that I'm very happy with these purchases.

Especially Hurford is adding something to my collection. Apparently he's in love with the reed stops of the various intruments he's playing, which gives his performances a bold and intense character .... and I like that. :)
Yes, he plays with legato, though not all the time, and in this case I really don't mind about that. Compared to his compatriots Preston, Herrick and Bowyer, I would say (after selected listening of course) that I definitely prefer Hurford. Together with Herrick, I think Hurford is the most communicative musician of these four. But sometimes I find Herrick too 'soft', when I'm in need of more power. :)

About Knud Vad: indeed (sigh of relief), a hybrid (SA)CD set!
All right, rather old-fashioned readings, with a lot of legato, though with (IMHO of course) a good touch for registrations and in general no slackening in most non-choral works.
Live recordings apparently (the odd mistake here & there, some coughing from the audience), but .... the sound quality is really very good! This Marcussen organ in the Sorø Church (Denmark) appears to be a better instrument than the Marcussen one that Bowyer is playing (Sct. Hans Kirke, Odense, Denmark).
If one is getting the nerves when listening to HIP-Bach and old organs, this integral might be a good choice. The luxurious booklet, in which every single work gets a short description, is a nice bonus!

I admit: I paid only 26 euro for this (including shipping), which appears to be a real stroke of luck. I don't think I would be interested in this integral at full-price costs.
IMO, Hurford is definitely more worthwhile.

How many CD's does the Hurford set have?  I have 5 volumes at 3 CD each, the original release.  Each volume is in a fatboy CD jewel case.

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on January 18, 2010, 06:36:24 AM
How many CD's does the Hurford set have?  I have 5 volumes at 3 CD each, the original release.  Each volume is in a fatboy CD jewel case.

17 discs (probably new track listing).
Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Organ-Works-Johann-Sebastian-Bach/dp/B0000041KD/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1263829967&sr=1-37

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on January 18, 2010, 06:53:57 AM
17 discs (probably new track listing).
Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Organ-Works-Johann-Sebastian-Bach/dp/B0000041KD/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1263829967&sr=1-37

It has been at least 15 years since I bought all those volumes.  My collection may be missing one volume, Vol. 6, which was almost impossible to find IIRC.