J.S. Bach on the Organ

Started by prémont, April 29, 2007, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 22, 2011, 12:51:07 PM
I immediately searched the Alessio Corti set, but it doesn't appear in existence.

You may know, that JPC lists it for 169 Euro.
Expensive (19 CDs though) but worth the cost.
I payed about 150 Euros for it three years ago.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Orgelwerke-Ges-Aufn/hnum/3431636
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 01:08:39 PM
You may know, that JPC lists it for 169 Euro.
Expensive (19 CDs though) but worth the cost.
I payed about 150 Euros for it three years ago.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Orgelwerke-Ges-Aufn/hnum/3431636

Yes, I know it.

Several times it has been in my cart, but finally I have postponed the purchase because it would cost approximately EUR 248 [EUR 170, plus EUR 28 (shipping and handlig) and plus EUR 50 (taxes)]. But definitively I must buy it soon.  :)

Marc

Quote from: premont on January 22, 2011, 09:58:31 AM
With 32 complete Bach organ sets I am essentially still undone.  :o

Pralhals!

Quote from: Bulldog on January 22, 2011, 11:13:27 AM
That is a very impressive number. 8)

Spytslikker!

I have about 20 'complete' Bach organ sets.
Two years ago I only had one.

Any comments on THAT? Huh?

>:D

You know my name, look up the number!

Oh, and about Olivier Vernet's integral getting 'slowly OOP': if one has the chance to buy it, one can easily do so. One shall not mourn that purchase. And I should know because I have about 20 integrals! ;D
About Lagacé's set: after some examples from the library I decided not to go for it. Mainly caused by the dull organ. The Goldbergs et al stuff are interesting add-ons, though.

Que

Quote from: Marc on January 23, 2011, 11:09:55 AM

Oh, and about Olivier Vernet's integral getting 'slowly OOP': if one has the chance to buy it, one can easily do so. One shall not mourn that purchase. And I should know because I have about 20 integrals! ;D

Is Vernet in the top three? :)

Q

prémont

I have about 20 'complete' Bach organ sets.
Two years ago I only had one.

Any comments on THAT? Huh?

>:D

Yes, very impressive number.

BTW the correct number I own is 33, above I forgot Kevin Bovyer, which I purchased at a Presto sale half a year ago.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Que on January 23, 2011, 01:10:25 PM
Is Vernet in the top three? :)

Q

No, not in my book, the competition is too strong, but he is at least in the top ten.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PaulSC

Is Werner Jacob in the top 32? (Or is anyone else an even greater disappointment?)

prémont

Quote from: PaulSC on January 23, 2011, 01:41:30 PM
Is Werner Jacob in the top 32? (Or is anyone else an even greater disappointment?)

Werner Jacobs set  is rather uneven IMO, but very good when best (f.i. Steinkirchen and Naumburg). One of the interesting things about his set is his choice of a host of different historical more or less well restored organs. He is difficult to rank in a strict sense. I am happy to own his set, though. Even the sets I appreciate the least (Chapuis and  Preston) have some good moments, not the least because of the choice of organs.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: PaulSC on January 23, 2011, 01:41:30 PM

Kevin Bovyer, IMHO.

I'm sure Premont bought it just because of completist reasons.  ;D

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 23, 2011, 01:59:22 PM
Kevin Bovyer, IMHO.

Well, I rate Bovyer higher than Chapuis and Preston, but you may well guess, why I forgot him in my counting above (32/33).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on January 23, 2011, 02:02:06 PM
Well, I rate Bovyer higher than Chapuis and Preston, but you may well guess, why I forgot him in my counting above (32/33).

Well, before your answer I added a second paragraph to my post.  :)

PaulSC

Quote from: premont on January 23, 2011, 01:56:39 PM
Werner Jacobs set  is rather uneven IMO, but very good when best (f.i. Steinkirchen and Naumburg). One of the interesting things about his set is his choice of a host of different historical more or less well restored organs. He is difficult to rank in a strict sense. I am happy to own his set, though. Even the sets I appreciate the least (Chapuis and  Preston) have some good moments, not the least because of the choice of organs.
That's good to hear. It was a recent purchase for me, and the listening I've done so far -- mainly to fugal works -- has left me mainly disappointed. But I will try some of the items you cite as peaks, and I'll try approaching it too as a chance to hear instruments of historical interest. So far I only own W Jacob and Kibbie, and I've tended to prefer the latter. (And I have Ponsford's Clavierübung III, which I enjoy a great deal.) I've more or less decided to spend more time with what I've got, and then to seek out recommended individual recordings of the works that emerge as my favorites...

FideLeo

Oh, and about Olivier Vernet's integral getting 'slowly OOP': if one has the chance to buy it, one can easily do so. One shall not mourn that purchase.

It won't be the first time Olivier Vernet's integral going 'OOP' anyway - before its current incarnation there was an 'integral' of 15 discs:

I still have a small pile of them at home in Taiwan, having bought them for peanuts from Barnes and Noble due to their wonderful misprice. (Those were the good old days when they were far more generous about mispricing.)  They make a really nice gift for both audiophiles and organ nuts.  Listening to that powered subwoofer shake the room always brings a big grin on their face.  'Shall not mourn that purchase'  Amen to that!

BTW I agree with your view on the Legace: I don't like his choice of tempi in too many cases.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 23, 2011, 02:03:55 PM
Well, before your answer I added a second paragraph to my post.  :)

Never mind, you are right all the same. Initally some years ago I acquired his Clavierübung III and some CDs with miscellaneous works, and later his AoF. Then I decided to stop,until I saw the integral at half price in a sale. And the completist in me hit at once.  ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

OK - Bach Organ experts - this is my first post here - I'm just not an organ guy (i.e. meaning the instrument in churches or elsewhere -  :D) - I own very little organ music (currently just a few CDs of even JS Bach's works) - BUT now in the mail is a 16 disc package w/ Koopman (shown below) which Amazon is offering for just $14 - so, my question knowing that there are many other options, is this a good representation of Bach's organ music?  I do collect multiple versions of Papa Bach's other compositions, but would like just a single collection of his organ works - thanks (and I know that many alternatives will appear) -   :)

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan on January 23, 2011, 03:11:16 PM
OK - Bach Organ experts - this is my first post here - I'm just not an organ guy (i.e. meaning the instrument in churches or elsewhere -  :D) - I own very little organ music (currently just a few CDs of even JS Bach's works) - BUT now in the mail is a 16 disc package w/ Koopman (shown below) which Amazon is offering for just $14 - so, my question knowing that there are many other options, is this a good representation of Bach's organ music?  I do collect multiple versions of Papa Bach's other compositions, but would like just a single collection of his organ works - thanks (and I know that many alternatives will appear) -   :)

Grab it, if this offer is real,-  you will not regret it. And later you will want some more integrals, but each problem to its own, if you understand what I mean. :) ;) :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: premont on January 23, 2011, 03:14:38 PM
Grab it, if this offer is real,-  you will not regret it. And later you will want some more integrals, but each problem to its own, if you understand what I mean. :) ;) :)

Hi Premont - thanks for your response; the box is in the mail to me at the price indicated & confirmed in an e-mail - not sure if this is a mistake but a GREAT deal!  Dave  :D

FideLeo

Re: subject - Of course it does!

Bach's Prelude in E-flat major, BWV 552.1

http://www.youtube.com/v/uF8NSNK_VwE

ps. As with most of my homemade youtube clips, please use the HD (720p) setting for optimal sound quality.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

The matching fugue to the above:

http://www.youtube.com/v/8_hDFuvV1eo

Thank you, premont, for promising to tell us who recorded this.  You are the pro!  ;D

Bulldog

Quote from: masolino on January 24, 2011, 10:16:49 AM
The matching fugue to the above:

http://www.youtube.com/v/8_hDFuvV1eo

Thank you, premont, for promising to tell us who recorded this.  You are the pro!  ;D

I don't know who plays the Fugue, but it sounds very much like Noel Rawsthorne on a Regis disc.