Brahms Chamber Music

Started by samtrb, April 29, 2007, 06:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Recently I listened to the Alban Berg set of the Brahms SQs and found the music (or sound) grating. I just got this set because sound samples online seemed easier on the ear. Listening to it now, on my stereo, I am not so sure. I don't know exactly why, but I have a hard time appreciating romantic chamber music. I usually comes off as too "in your face," too grating and hard on my ears. Weird because I love romantic concertos, symphonies and solo piano music and I don't get this affect with these genres at all. And for what it's worth, this is not a new issue for me and this music.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

George,

Both ABQ and Budapest deliver intense performances.  If that is not your thing then please try the Alexander Quartet.  They are still interesting but more relaxed.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on September 04, 2023, 06:50:09 AMGeorge,

Both ABQ and Budapest deliver intense performances.  If that is not your thing then please try the Alexander Quartet.  They are still interesting but more relaxed.

I haven't listened in ages, but the Quartetto Italiano can usually be depended on to find the lyrical side of music.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 04, 2023, 06:50:09 AMGeorge,

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 04, 2023, 06:53:36 AMI haven't listened in ages, but the Quartetto Italiano can usually be depended on to find the lyrical side of music.

Thanks, guys. Will keep that in mind.

I was just reading about the Brahms quartets on a few different sites and it seems that they are not nearly regarded as much of his other chamber music. So now I am wondering if maybe I just don't like the music. I'll keep listening. The set I posted above has a number of other works I can try, like the clarinet quintets, the piano quintet and the string quintets - all works that seem to be highly regarded.   

Scion7

These might be to your taste: 

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Spotted Horses

Quote from: George on September 04, 2023, 07:11:05 AMThanks, guys. Will keep that in mind.

I was just reading about the Brahms quartets on a few different sites and it seems that they are not nearly regarded as much of his other chamber music. So now I am wondering if maybe I just don't like the music. I'll keep listening. The set I posted above has a number of other works I can try, like the clarinet quintets, the piano quintet and the string quintets - all works that seem to be highly regarded.   

Speaking only for myself, the string quartets are just as highly regarded as his other chamber music. :)

Most recently I listened to the Amadeus Quartet recordings and was mesmerized, particularly by the first two quartets.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

George

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 04, 2023, 07:20:48 AMSpeaking only for myself, the string quartets are just as highly regarded as his other chamber music. :)

Most recently I listened to the Amadeus Quartet recordings and was mesmerized, particularly by the first two quartets.

OK, thanks. I plan to revisit. I recall that Brahms symphony 4 took a number of listens for it to to click.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: George on September 04, 2023, 07:26:00 AMOK, thanks. I plan to revisit. I recall that Brahms symphony 4 took a number of listens for it to to click.

I have to confess it too me a bit more time to absorb the quartets, compared with the sextets. The quintets gave me the most difficulty, as I recall.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 04, 2023, 07:41:06 AMI have to confess it too me a bit more time to absorb the quartets, compared with the sextets. The quintets gave me the most difficulty, as I recall.

Yes the string quartets really challenged me.  I found the piano quartets to be the easiest because it had that richness that the piano concertos had... and Brahms has a real talent with the piano.

Que

Quote from: George on September 03, 2023, 05:29:53 PMRecently I listened to the Alban Berg set of the Brahms SQs and found the music (or sound) grating.

ABQ Teldec or EMI? I ask because the former is much to be preferred and does the music more justice IMO.

Jo498

I find the ABQ Teldec rather warm sounding. While it was never my own stance I can understand people finding the string quartets among the tougher pieces. Another nice sounding, not too intense recording is with the Vogler quartet (RCA, on 3 single discs with Schumann). A great early stereo (but some strident sounds on my oldish CD, maybe LPs or more recent CDs sound better) of op.51 is with the Janacek Qt. (Supraphon)

My favorite is the a minor qt and find it of about average accessibility among Brahms' chamber works.

The most accessible are probably the trio op.8, the piano quartets and violin sonatas, and maybe the clarinet works.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Quote from: Que on September 04, 2023, 09:17:05 AMABQ Teldec or EMI? I ask because the former is much to be preferred and does the music more justice IMO.

Hi Que. I have the Teldec.

Symphonic Addict

A set that could be under the radar for many is this:

It includes the Clarinet Quintet but not the Piano Quintet. These performances are uniformly excellent in very good sound.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 07, 2023, 06:03:41 PMA set that could be under the radar for many is this:

It includes the Clarinet Quintet but not the Piano Quintet. These performances are uniformly excellent in very good sound.

I have most (maybe all) of the original releases of those recordings and I agree that they are very well done.

Maestro267

Where's the chair for the sixth player?

Skogwald

I've been listening to different recordings of the sextets lately. I find the Raphael Ensemble a bit too soft maybe?

Here are the ones I enjoy the most currently:

1. Hausmusik - The period strings give the music a different texture that I really like. The performance is much more dynamic than L'Archibudelli's.
2. Stuttgart Soloists - Just a very solid recording, no notes.
3. Talich Quartet - If you like your Brahms romantic and dramatic, this is the one to get. They play with a lot of conviction.

Then there's also the lovely recording of sextet no. 1 by Casals et al. It is surely one of the best, but unfortunately it is paired on disc with a version of Trio no. 1 that I don't really care for.

Skogwald

They have already been mentioned several times in this thread, but I would just like to sing my praises to Suk and Katchen. They are unsurpassed both in the Violin Sonatas and the Piano Trios imo!

Luke

Seconded on Suk in the sonatas, but I adore Grumiaux here too. Mind you, they are such masterpieces, I've never heard them done badly.

Mandryka

Quote from: Skogwald on May 07, 2024, 09:59:25 PMI've been listening to different recordings of the sextets lately. I find the Raphael Ensemble a bit too soft maybe?

Here are the ones I enjoy the most currently:

1. Hausmusik - The period strings give the music a different texture that I really like. The performance is much more dynamic than L'Archibudelli's.
2. Stuttgart Soloists - Just a very solid recording, no notes.
3. Talich Quartet - If you like your Brahms romantic and dramatic, this is the one to get. They play with a lot of conviction.

Then there's also the lovely recording of sextet no. 1 by Casals et al. It is surely one of the best, but unfortunately it is paired on disc with a version of Trio no. 1 that I don't really care for.

Have you tried Capuçon, Hagen, Caussé etc? That's the one I've been enjoying most recently in the second

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8290163--brahms-string-sextets-nos-1-2

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Skogwald

Quote from: Mandryka on May 08, 2024, 12:31:44 AMHave you tried Capuçon, Hagen, Caussé etc? That's the one I've been enjoying most recently in the second

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8290163--brahms-string-sextets-nos-1-2

I haven't heard that one! I'll give it a shot.