What place has classical music in your life?

Started by Harry, April 30, 2007, 02:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny

Quote from: Florestan on April 30, 2007, 12:58:26 PM
From the same source:

There is no difference between music and tears.

I just wonder why Nietzsche hated Schumann so much.

Steve

Quote from: bhodges on April 30, 2007, 12:57:00 PM
One of my alltime favorite musical quotations!  (Might even be "the" favorite.)

--Bruce

Add the enjoyment of great literature, and you have the perfect quote.

cx

Quote from: Iago on April 30, 2007, 12:39:13 PM
Baseball (NY Mets), gambling, eating in fine restaurants, using my digital camera, watching my High Definition TV, Sleeping late, going to bed equally late, attending as many "live" concerts in Disney Hall as I can, paying attention to my health needs, traveling.

Nice list of priorities...

For myself, my school work comes first, then in no order, eating out (who can AVOID this hobby in NYC), going to concerts, being with friends, family, good films, and last but not least, girls. I hope to add travelling to the list, but haven't done much of it up to this point.

Steve

Quote from: CS on April 30, 2007, 05:34:36 PM
Nice list of priorities...

For myself, my school work comes first, then in no order, eating out (who can AVOID this hobby in NYC), going to concerts, being with friends, family, good films, and last but not least, girls. I hope to add travelling to the list, but haven't done much of it up to this point.

It is, indeed.  :)

btpaul674

Scriptavolant

I gave up classical music in the last period, for a number of reasons. One of them is that I noticed it became a sort of compulsion; I lack of method, so put before the great amount of music available, I simply lost the way and the pleasure to listen carefully and methodically.
Another thing I've noticed and didn't like is my tendency to over-intellectualize music; I've learned almost nothing from books and things like that, I've forced myself to forge opinions and/or absolute tastes and/or judgements and the whole matter just spoiled my enthusiasm.
So I'm trying to get back to a sort of pure and simple, aware but light listening but in the meanwhile I gave up to meditate.
To say it with mr Lennon "I'm watching the wheels"..

Last but not least my hi-fi is ko and I'm working a lot.

Dancing Divertimentian

What's life without the permanence of classical music?

Last I checked it didn't look so swell...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

max

Music was the be-all and end-all in earlier years. Death was unacceptable feeling viscerally, I would miss it even then. What! never to listen to a single symphony for ALL of eternity??  But what is left is only a homunculus of the giant it was. Nevertheless, there still remains a certain potency and whenever I get too secular in my feelings I still yearn for the Bruckner experience, Schubert's Masses and the Cimarosa Requiem. I guess allot of this depreciation comes from listening yourself into a rut over time.

Harry

I love to read the replies, it sure is a issue with you all.
Fine to read that! :)

Danny

I can't imagine what life would be like without good music, Harry. I listen to it all the time (even while doing chores).   :D

Steve

Quote from: Danny on May 01, 2007, 12:29:05 AM
I can't imagine what life would be like without good music, Harry. I listen to it all the time (even while doing chores).   :D

That makes two of us! I can't imagine cleaning up my dorm room without some Bach.  :)

Harry

Quote from: Danny on May 01, 2007, 12:29:05 AM
I can't imagine what life would be like without good music, Harry. I listen to it all the time (even while doing chores).   :D

Same with me Danny whatever I do, music is always a part of it. :)

Harry

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 12:33:51 AM
That makes two of us! I can't imagine cleaning up my dorm room without some Bach.  :)

Well yes, Bach & the Broom, work perfectly together! ;D

rubio

Except for the basic needs in life and my wife/family/friends, music is the most important thing in my life (together with travelling and meeting people). I listen to music all the time (now mostly classical) when not being at work or watching a movie or reading a book. Classical music I listen to at home, while I enjoy other types of music on my Ipod while training or travelling. So far I have the impression that classical music benefit much more from an adequate hi-fi system. I'm seriously addicted to music, and I get abstinence effects when being without it.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Harry

Quote from: rubio on May 01, 2007, 03:21:50 AM
Except for the basic needs in life and my wife/family/friends, music is the most important thing in my life (together with travelling and meeting people). I listen to music all the time (now mostly classical) when not being at work or watching a movie or reading a book. Classical music I listen to at home, while I enjoy other types of music on my Ipod while training or travelling. So far I have the impression that classical music benefit much more from an adequate hi-fi system. I'm seriously addicted to music, and I get abstinence effects when being without it.

Well that's a positive addiction I would say my friend! :)
It enriches your life, and brings your soul in balance!

Choo Choo

I think the background to one's listening may also have an impact.

When I lived in the city I played music much more than I do now.

Now I'm fortunate to live in the country surrounded by trees, and my office is part of the house.  This morning is fine and warm, I have all doors and windows open, and the air is full of birdsong.  15 minutes ago I took this picture from my office window:

I'm not playing music because that would involve closing doors and windows (out of respect for my neighbours) and, in a sense, shutting out the world.  Or playing through headphones (and, even more, shutting myself off.)

That's kind of what I mean about music enhancing life (rather than being a background to it.)  I don't think that's either right or wrong - and is very likely a minority view - it just fits with this life (such as it is ::) )

Maciek

Quote from: Choo Choo on May 01, 2007, 04:29:01 AM

it just fits with this life (such as it is ::) )

Hey, I wouldn't mind having a part of that! :D 8)

(such as it is ::))

Guido

Quote from: Danny on April 30, 2007, 02:50:22 PM

Its interesting that you say this (I assume jokingly) - Schumann was Nietzsche's favourite composer and his own compositions are very influenced by him. This was in his youth until he met Wagner, but of course he rejected Wagner in the end.

If not jokingly, then why did you think that?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

dtwilbanks

Classical is definitely in the grand rotation, but not the only type of music I enjoy. I pretty much like all genres of music. So, I don't need to hear classical every day, no.

Florestan

Quote from: Danny on April 30, 2007, 02:50:22 PM
Beats me. Anyway, I love Schumann more than Nietzsche.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy