Nicholas Medtner

Started by Wanderer, April 30, 2007, 05:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Nikolai Medtner.
Complete Pianomusic, Volume II.
Hamish Milne, piano.
Licensed from CRD, and recorded in 1977, by Bob Auger.

Sonata Triad, opus 11.
Sonata in E minor, opus 25, No. 2 "The night Wind".

The second volume is every bit as good as the first one, stunning sonics, and indeed massively beautiful works. They have yet to sink in entirely, to have their full impact, but so far I think both sonatas very good. It really starts well with No. 1 in A flat major, very intimidating in its structure, and well written, followed by a even deeper one, no. 2 in D minor, "Elegy", what introverted energy bundled together in this work.
The "Night Wind", is also a awesome work of grand proportions, and I need to hear this more often.

Harry

Nikolai Medtner.
Complete Pianomusic, Volume III.
Hamish Milne, Piano.
Licensed from CRD, and recorded in 1989, by Bob Auger.

Sonata in G minor, opus 22.
Romantic Sketches for the Young, opus 54,
Prelude, Pastorale,
Skazka Bird's Tale,
Prelude, Hymn,
Skazka, The Beggar.

Two Skazki's opus 8, both in C minor.
Three Novelles opus 17.
Sonate in A minor opus 30.

What wonderful music this is, the third volume allready, and listening to it without strain, so easy, and utterly rewarding, its balsam for the soul. Never before after Chopin did I so enjoy piano music as from Medtner. What a find.

Harry

Medtner.
Complete Piano Music, volume IV.
Hamish Milne, Piano.
Licensed by CRD, and recorded in 1989 by Bob Auger.

Sonata in F minor, opus 5.
Second improvisation, (in variation form) opus 47.

Marvelous follow up, and I have nothing to add to the word marvelous.
This box moves up to the top of my playing list........

Harry

Nikolai Medtner.
Complete Piano Music, Volume V.
Hamish Milne, Piano.
Licensed by CRD, and recorded in 1994, by Steve Portnoi.

Sonata Ballade in F sharp major, opus 27.
Four Skazki, opus 34.
Sonata Romantica in B flat minor, opus 53, No. 1.

This box is a success story so far. Well recorded and performed, this set is a constant joy to your senses. And not only the music is responsable for this extra ordinary result, but also the pianist, that makes this a journey in which to discover, in dept, what is there to take for a discerning listener. Am I that? Who knows! But I have immense pleasure going through this box. It shows. I will play all in just two days. And that is a measure with me. I simply adore the music, and the genius that is playing those gems. Well, let me see what is there to have from Medtner. Some guidance would be appreciated folks.

Wanderer

Harry, thanks for posting your impressions. Keep them coming!

For another, more virtuosic view of the sonatas Hamelin's set is indispensable. Some of them like the First or the Night Wind greatly benefit from such an approach. Hamelin is not insensitive to lyrical beauty either, though he tends to downplay such elements here and there.

Severin von Eckardstein's recent Medtner album is also most highly recommended, some very potent performances (including the Sonata tragica & the Night Wind sonata) and impressive virtuosity and musicianship throughout.

Harry

Quote from: Wanderer on January 10, 2008, 01:17:30 AM
Harry, thanks for posting your impressions. Keep them coming!

For another, more virtuosic view of the sonatas Hamelin's set is indispensable. Some of them like the First or the Night Wind greatly benefit from such an approach. Hamelin is not insensitive to lyrical beauty either, though he tends to downplay such elements here and there.

Severin von Eckardstein's recent Medtner album is also most highly recommended, some very potent performances (including the Sonata tragica & the Night Wind sonata) and impressive virtuosity and musicianship throughout.

I had a eye on the MDG issue for some time now, so I will probably try that one too.

Wanderer

Quote from: Harry on January 10, 2008, 01:32:00 AM
I had a eye on the MDG issue for some time now, so I will probably try that one too.

Awaiting your impressions on that one, as well. I was very pleasantly surprised, that being my first exposure to this pianist. His Scriabin album is just as good.

71 dB

I was nice to "find" Medtner but it's not nice to realise there's more CDs to buy (as if my wishlist wasn't long enough  ::) )
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Wanderer

Quote from: 71 dB on January 10, 2008, 01:53:31 AM
I was nice to "find" Medtner but it's not nice to realise there's more CDs to buy (as if my wishlist wasn't long enough  ::) )

Then you definitely don't want the old forum database to come back to business...  ;)

Wanderer

And here comes an excellent new issue of Medtner's first and second violin sonatas. The first one is a modestly scoped (compared with the two that followed) but totally beguiling work of immense beauty, vitality and wistfulness. The second could be described as Medtner's "Spring" sonata and is full of memorable melodies, effervescence and charm. It's grand in scope and design and both its thematic material and its treatment leave one thrilled and admiring.

This version doesn't surpass the fiery and urgent account of Mordkovich/Tozer on Chandos, but is nevertheless quite expertly performed. Paul Stewart is really impressive in the piano part (never a mere accompaniment in Medtner's violin sonatas) and I was glad to be informed from the booklet that he currently records the composer's piano sonatas for Naxos.

Harry

The sonatas...really, well that's good news. :)
I will start again with the 7 cd Brilliant box again next Monday.

Wanderer

Harry

Quote from: Wanderer on April 29, 2008, 04:51:20 AM

A musicweb review.

I started with this box again today, and my impression is one of growing admiration. :)

springrite

Do not miss Medtner's recordings. He is an excellent pianist, winner of the Gold Medal over some of the greatest pianists you know when he was graduating from the Conservatoire.

There is a recording of Medtner's own music and some Beethoven. Magic! (And it was recorded in Medtner's late years, when he has not played in public for ages and was supposedly in decline.)

Harry

Quote from: springrite on April 30, 2008, 06:28:13 AM
Do not miss Medtner's recordings. He is an excellent pianist, winner of the Gold Medal over some of the greatest pianists you know when he was graduating from the Conservatoire.

There is a recording of Medtner's own music and some Beethoven. Magic! (And it was recorded in Medtner's late years, when he has not played in public for ages and was supposedly in decline.)

Yes, I was already searching a bit in that direction Paul. :)

Wanderer

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for the link. I have started listening to Medtner these last few days (First Piano Concerto, Piano Quintet, Forgotten Melodies I + II), and I like what I am hearing.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wanderer

Quote from: springrite on April 30, 2008, 06:28:13 AM
... and some Beethoven. Magic! (And it was recorded in Medtner's late years, when he has not played in public for ages and was supposedly in decline.)

The Appassionata, in particular. These recordings are well worth seeking out.
Beethoven's Fourth concerto was a speciality of his in concert, but, alas, no recording was ever made. His marvelous cadenzas for it still await a first recording by an adventurous pianist.

Wanderer

Quote from: Jezetha on May 01, 2008, 06:48:59 AM
Thanks for the link. I have started listening to Medtner these last few days (First Piano Concerto, Piano Quintet, Forgotten Melodies I + II), and I like what I am hearing.

I'm glad to hear that, Jezetha. Keep listening and share your impressions!  8)
Keep in mind that Medtner's music rewards repeated listening most handsomely.

MN Dave

Quote from: Wanderer on May 01, 2008, 06:56:03 AM
I'm glad to hear that, Jezetha. Keep listening and share your impressions!  8)
Keep in mind that Medtner's music rewards repeated listening most handsomely.

I keep meaning to try him out, but other more prominent composers always get in the way.