Golijov's Gatehouse

Started by Guido, April 30, 2007, 04:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

I haven't actually heard this guy's music, but what do people think of him?

Did anyone hear the recent cello concerto 'Azul' premiered by Ma and the Boston Symphony Orchestra?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Maciek

I only have The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind played by the Kronos Quartet. On hearing it for the first time I was completely amazed. But, unfortunately, that first impression wore off pretty quickly on repeat listening. I still find the opening of that piece very moving but the rest seems quite forgetable (in fact, the more I listen to it the less I remember ;D). People keep recommending the Dawn Upshaw disc so I'm definitely going to try that one day.

uffeviking

I tried to revive one of the many Golijov threads in the old GMG, but it didn't work. He is one of our major new composers of fascinating music, operas, instrumentals and anything else done with voice and instruments!

I discovered him with his Yiddishbbuk and from there it just went on and on. I recommend him highly!  8)

greg

Anyone else listen to Ayre? Hard to even imagine that being classified as classical music, yet probably the only reason it is is because it couldn't be classified as any other type of music (if you put the whole thing together, not just looking at one movement each).

knight66

'Ayre' is a really exciting piece. That whole disc with the Berio works superbly.

My favourite disc of his is 'Ainadamar' a one act opera based round the death of Lorca. I cannot see it being staged effectively, but it is superb opera of the mind. Especially listening on headphones, you really enter a different world. There are a couple of stretches where the music melts into a sort of timeless haze, very beautiful. There is plenty of excitement and even memorable tunes. Upshaw transforms herself into a much more earthy being than we are accustomed to hearing her enact.

His St Mark's Passion (edit, thanks Robert) is a truly awful piece, mariachi meets mediocrity a serving of stale salsa as side dish.

He will have a new disc out in July performed by the Kronos Quartet, Tenebre, an adaptation of an earlier work, sans the vocals.

So far I have had two palpable hits and one decided miss with him. I sense he is exploring different influences so furiously that he has not yet found his voice, but when it arrives, it will be both exotic and exciting.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Robert

Quote from: Guido on April 30, 2007, 04:04:57 PM
I haven't actually heard this guy's music, but what do people think of him?

Did anyone hear the recent cello concerto 'Azul' premiered by Ma and the Boston Symphony Orchestra?

I have mixed feelings.....I kind of like his Saint Marks Passion a mini opera with a latin/jazz feel...I agree he is looking for an identity but until he finds it, Im kind of enjoying his search.

uffeviking

And this is his appeal to me: Following him in his search and savour all the steps he is taking. Started out with Kletzmer, something I knew only because of the ancient play and movie: Fiddler on the Roof; Golijov sent me on a search for more of this kind of music, made me a fan and in the process discovered the phenomenal clarinetist David Kraukauer. My next discovery because of Golijov was Latino music; until then I believed the local mariachi band was the one and only genuine Latin sound. Dawn Upshaw I knew from Adam's el niño but not the unusual range of her voice as in Ayre.

Wonder what next Golijov will teach me and introduce me to! 8)

knight66

Lis, What CDs of Kletzmer do you recommend? I quite fance buying some.

Mike

uffeviking

The first one coming to my mind is a Naxos disc: Klezmer Concertos and Encores from the Milken collection of American Jewish Music.  8)

Guido

Hmm... This is interesting: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/03/osvaldo-golijov-in-london.html

Also: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/12/stale-ayre.html

I do know that he has recieved many adulatory reviews in the American press, but London folks all seem a little more skeptical.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

knight66

Thanks Guido, I can understand the reservations and agree with some of the adverse remarks, but I do respond to at least some of his music and hope he develops.

Mike

Maciek

Quote from: Guido on April 30, 2007, 04:04:57 PM

LOL, somehow on rereading this thread what I saw there was:

'Azul' premiered by Me and the Boston Symphony Orchestra

Hopefully, Guido, that was a glimpse of your future invading my brain! ;D

andy

I have to agree with the American critics in that Golijov is one of the most important composers today... I don't think his work is particularly deep... yet. But, it's important because of it's broad appeal. Golijov is the type of composer who can appeal to people my age (mid-20s) who like more complicated pop-ish music and are looking to expand their horizons.

In the review that Guido linked of Ayre, the reviewer's main complaint is that Upshaw makes such "ugly" sounds in the piece. Clearly the guy doesn't get the music. I personally love the sounds she makes on the record... they are interesting and give the music a gritty feel that a lesser singer couldn't achieve.

I don't think that Golijov's current work can be compared with Beethoven et al., but rather, should be compared with the likes of Bjork and Radiohead. That is, it's challenging pop music, but easy (from a music theory point of view) easy classical music. Works like Ainadamar and Ayre appeal to my friends who don't like classical music, but want more than what's played on the radio.

bhodges

The little bit of Golijov I've heard I've enjoyed enormously.  (Unfortunately, I've not heard any of his large works yet.)  On her CD Voices of Light, Dawn Upshaw does Golijov's Lúa descolorida, and to my ears it's one of the best things of the entire recording (which is excellent).  Quite beautiful. 

And I heard Last Round live recently (by two combined string quartets) and absolutely loved it.  There is this recording of it that came out in January - might be the one Lis was referring to - which I haven't heard, but it appears to be the only recording of the piece so far.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: andy on August 17, 2007, 08:06:36 AM
I have to agree with the American critics in that Golijov is one of the most important composers today... I don't think his work is particularly deep... yet.

He has not, in your opinion produced work that is deep, but he is one of the most important composers?  Oof.

That's all;  just "oof."

Kullervo

I have not heard his music but I am pretty tired of Amazon recommending everything by him every freakin' time I buy a CD. I also don't generally like the things Kronos and Dawn Upshaw go for.

andy

Quote from: karlhenning on August 17, 2007, 11:10:23 AM
He has not, in your opinion produced work that is deep, but he is one of the most important composers?  Oof.

That's all;  just "oof."

Important in that because of him, people will come to the concert hall who might not otherwise. Musically... so far, not very important.

greg

Quote from: Corey on August 17, 2007, 08:30:57 PM
I have not heard his music but I am pretty tired of Amazon recommending everything by him every freakin' time I buy a CD. I also don't generally like the things Kronos and Dawn Upshaw go for.
i think that's half the reason he's so popular, there's only zillions of ads for his CDs, not to mention in my old Borders it was one of the featured CDs (i don't know how else to put it)

orange

I heard once or twice The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind and I find it very interesting. Yiddishbbuk is amazing.

I haven't seen anyone mention that he made arangements for Kronos Quartet: Nuevo.

Ainadimar I find very populistic, and on the other hand it's a modern aproach to the opera.

I don't know if I like it or not. It gets to popish sometimes ;)

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: greg on September 16, 2007, 02:47:16 PM
i think that's half the reason he's so popular, there's only zillions of ads for his CDs, not to mention in my old Borders it was one of the featured CDs (i don't know how else to put it)

So why does that count against him? Shouldn't there be more, not less, publicity for modern composers?