Jonny Greenwood -- composer?

Started by маразм1, March 10, 2008, 06:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

маразм1

What do you guys think of his work?  I saw "There Will Be Blood", and it features his music. 

I found it pretty disturbing, and really good at the same time. 

http://www.amazon.com/There-Will-Blood-Jonny-Greenwood/dp/B000XA50MK

Josquin des Prez

bhodges

Recently Alex Ross had an excellent article on Greenwood's music for the film, here.  As a Radiohead fan, I hope to see it soon.

--Bruce

helios

Whilst I adore his musical contributions to Radiohead, I find his other compositions rather dull & often works which blatantly rip-off others.  "Bodysong" seemed to be nothing more than a Messiaen pastiche. 

MDL

In Empire magazine, Greenwood quite happily admitted that large parts of his score for There Will Be Blood were "inspired" by the soundtrack for Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. The string clusters and glissandi near the beginning are a complete rip-off of Penderecki's De Natura Sonoris No.2, which featured heavily in Kubrick's movie. Still, it was interesting and slightly unnerving to watch a film set in that period with a score that you'd associate with sci-fi or horror. It was an amazing film, by the way. I'm not sure if I particularly liked it, but it was a real one-off.