Bálint Bakfark (ca. 1507-1576)

Started by karlhenning, June 04, 2007, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Christo

No doubt, he's my first choice among mid-16th Century Hungarian lute players. (For Hungarians, he's quite a name, actually, comparable to ''our'' Jonkheer Jacob van Eyck or Valerius :-).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

BachQ

Quote from: Christo on June 04, 2007, 12:04:35 PM
No doubt, he's my first choice among mid-16th Century Hungarian lute players. (For Hungarians, he's quite a name, actually, comparable to ''our'' Jonkheer Jacob van Eyck or Valerius :-).

Surely, he's in my top 5 among mid-16th Century Hungarian lute players.

karlhenning

Hungarian lutenists have always been babe magnets.

bwv 1080

I actually have some of his sheet music arranged for guitar.  They are impossible to play 4 and 5 part Renaissance Polyphony, some of which are transcriptions by Josquin and others.  Compared to other 16th century lutenists like Milano or Dowland (or Vihuelistas like Milan or Narvaez) his music is seldom played.  Judging from the music he must have been an amazing virtuoso.

BachQ

Quote from: bwv 1080 on June 04, 2007, 12:28:41 PM
his music is seldom played. 

I haven't had much luck finding recordings .........

Christo

(A major reason for remembering his name are the many associations it allows - especially for those of us (all of us, probably) who know their Afrikaans the name offers a bit more than just a funny ring.)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on June 04, 2007, 12:19:22 PM
Hungarian lutenists have always been babe magnets.

With a name like Bálint Bakfark, how can you go wrong?

BachQ