Author Topic: Eduard Tubin (1905-82)  (Read 51246 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Romantic Era through the 20th Century
Re: Eduard Tubin (1905-82)
« Reply #340 on: July 07, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »
Back in the days of no downloads, having bought the complete symphonies, I remember going and re-purchasing the individual BIS volumes so I could get what I would have described as the 'incidental' music  :). Works such as The Balalaika Concerto, Kratt, Estonian Dances,  were all early companions while I crawled out of complete ignorance to slightly less ignorance. For the sake of really quite happy nostalgia, lots of those works make me smile.

Great to read. I’m less impressed with the Balalaika Concerto and this is mainly because I don’t think the instrument warrants it’s own concerto, but Tubin made showed me! ;) The Double Bass Concerto is a pretty interesting work, though.
“Competitions are for horses; not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #341 on: July 07, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
I'm very fond of the two violin concertos, above all the first one, which is quite catchy and memorable. No. 2 is a more earnest composition. But without doubts, the Sinfonietta on Estonian motifs is my favorite orchestral work apart from the symphonies. The tunes there stick in your mind for quite a while.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Romantic Era through the 20th Century
« Reply #342 on: July 07, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »
I'm very fond of the two violin concertos, above all the first one, which is quite catchy and memorable. No. 2 is a more earnest composition. But without doubts, the Sinfonietta on Estonian motifs is my favorite orchestral work apart from the symphonies. The tunes there stick in your mind for quite a while.

Yes! A big thumbs up for the Sinfonietta on Estonian Motifs. What a fun piece. I’ll have to revisit those VCs --- it’s just been too long and I don’t remember them all that well. A special mention for the Piano Concertino, which is another work outside the afore mentioned favored symphonies that struck a special chord with me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 12:36:40 PM by Mirror Image »
“Competitions are for horses; not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #343 on: July 26, 2021, 05:42:19 AM »
To my surprise, my new favorite Tubin piece is the double bass concerto?! The new Rick Stotijn performance on BIS is really excellent, and benefits both from lively tempos - what a fun work - and from a shamelessly spotlit soloist, important to do on a recording since Tubin really incorporates a full orchestra and a lot of material. It's easy to imagine that in a live performance, the bass player would at times be hard to hear.

Offline foxandpeng

Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »
To my surprise, my new favorite Tubin piece is the double bass concerto?! The new Rick Stotijn performance on BIS is really excellent, and benefits both from lively tempos - what a fun work - and from a shamelessly spotlit soloist, important to do on a recording since Tubin really incorporates a full orchestra and a lot of material. It's easy to imagine that in a live performance, the bass player would at times be hard to hear.

Thank you for posting this. I suspect I would have missed the Tubin on this release, but the sound quality and presence of the double bass seems much clearer than the alternative BIS recording with Håkan Ehrén. I have also really enjoyed this piece over the years, but the newer recording and crisper spotlighting of the double bass makes all the difference  :)
"Without obsession, life is nothing"
John Waters