Bach's Bungalow

Started by aquablob, April 06, 2007, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Latest episode in the Conversations With Tyler podcast:

Masaaki Suzuki on Interpreting Bach

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 29, 2024, 03:19:11 PMLatest episode in the Conversations With Tyler podcast:

Masaaki Suzuki on Interpreting Bach
Thanks for that link.  I hadn't heard about these podcasts before now.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Question: Does Opfer have a global structure with a climax etc? The chorales in CU3?

This is from John Butt's book on the Bach passions -- it's not addressing my question, but it prompted my question, which is really about the "finish" of the whole.

Bach's more abstract collections that research a particular issue of compositional theory might seem to presuppose an even earlier mindset (i.e. that predating the era when music served text), which assumed a continuity between the fabric of the music and the structure of the cosmos, and thus the survival of a form of musical thought that was yet to be disenchanted. Nevertheless, most of the pieces in The Art of Fugue or The Musical Offering display some signs of 'finish'.33 This might be a consistency of figuration going beyond the contrapuntal tasks at hand, or a sense of trajectory, tension or culmination – all of which give the pieces a sort of individuality or 'self-consciousness', as a supplement to their didactic purposes.

Butt, John. Bach's Dialogue with Modernity (p. 14)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen