Author Topic: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)  (Read 75263 times)

Offline T. D.

Re: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)
« Reply #700 on: October 06, 2020, 01:53:17 AM »
Did late Feldman write tempo indications? What seems most strange is how, given the speed, Feldman could have said the interpretation is prayerful. Maybe I don’t understand prayer, maybe he was talking about a performance very different than the one on record, maybe he was just out of his head when he said that . . .

No tempo indications for Triadic Memories.

See Marilyn Nonken's notes: https://www.dramonline.org/media/786477.pdf

And Aki Takahashi's performance "along with the score": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46X7s2T93XY

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #701 on: October 06, 2020, 02:59:56 AM »
Did late Feldman write tempo indications? What seems most strange is how, given the speed, Feldman could have said the interpretation is prayerful. Maybe I don’t understand prayer, maybe he was talking about a performance very different than the one on record, maybe he was just out of his head when he said that . . .

I don't know what he meant, but I don't think by "prayerful" he meant "slow". That bit about rushing was, of course, a joke. But I think the lack of tempo indications has resulted in a huge variety of interpretations at many different tempi. I have a feeling Feldman would have appreciated that, given his famous comments on three different pianists of his work which he all praised for being completely different (I don't have the quote at the moment, so please correct me if I'm wrong).

Offline T. D.

« Reply #702 on: October 06, 2020, 06:37:12 AM »
I don't know what he meant, but I don't think by "prayerful" he meant "slow". That bit about rushing was, of course, a joke. But I think the lack of tempo indications has resulted in a huge variety of interpretations at many different tempi. I have a feeling Feldman would have appreciated that, given his famous comments on three different pianists of his work which he all praised for being completely different (I don't have the quote at the moment, so please correct me if I'm wrong).

In the Triadic Memories section of Give My Regards to Eighth Street, "prayerful" seems to pertain to appearance. But there is a funny/ironic (considering the recording's tempo) passage:

"...because Miss Takahashi keeps the pedal half-down throughout the piece, and I don't want you to feel in a sense that she is one of those pianists that never take the pedal off [laughter]..."

I don't fully understand this, because most of the score pages I saw on the Youtube video cited (disclosure: I didn't check them all) already indicate "1/2 Ped." Maybe that means she keeps the pedal half-down on the pages that don't specify it? Or maybe (she co-commissioned the piece) her input led to the "1/2 Ped." markings? I dunno.

Offline hvbias

« Reply #703 on: October 06, 2020, 06:50:10 AM »
I've ordered Aki Takahashi playing Palais de Mari and several other piano works as part of the Mode Feldman Edition. Managed to find a copy for under 10 bucks, which is always a win for a Feldman recording. I love this label. They have similar editions for Cage and Xenakis (possibly other composers) and it's all great. Hopefully this will help me click with Feldman piano music. The composer is on record admiring Ms. Takahashi's playing. It's one of the longer PdM's out there at over 29 minutes.

A large part of their catalog is out of print and hard to buy. I have one of their older Feldman CDs that even points to their domain mode.com (seems like quite a valuable four letter domain) which is now some corporate page.

If anyone detests String Quartet 2 and wants to sell me the Flux Quartet recording at non-flipper prices send me a message  :D

Offline hvbias

« Reply #704 on: October 06, 2020, 06:56:09 AM »
Why on earth is there such a wide variety of Feldman recordings out there compared to virtually any other late C20 composer?! I love it, I can't complain in the slightest, other than the fact that I have to choose between 10 artists I've never heard of for any given work, but it seems unfair to the other great talents out there.

I would be interested in reading from Feldman scholars why there is this sudden interest in his work in the 21st century.

Another big time 20th C composer is Ligeti and he has been in my heavy rotation again, I've been looking for more CDs to add and not really finding all that much outside of what I have. Besides Pieter Wispelwey's magnificent slow, haunting first recording of the Cello Sonata.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #705 on: October 06, 2020, 07:36:36 AM »
A large part of their catalog is out of print and hard to buy. I have one of their older Feldman CDs that even points to their domain mode.com (seems like quite a valuable four letter domain) which is now some corporate page.

If anyone detests String Quartet 2 and wants to sell me the Flux Quartet recording at non-flipper prices send me a message  :D
Is that recording OOP? I have yet to listen to it in its entirety. I think I gave it a couple of 20 minutes spins only.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #706 on: October 06, 2020, 07:44:12 AM »
In the Triadic Memories section of Give My Regards to Eighth Street, "prayerful" seems to pertain to appearance. But there is a funny/ironic (considering the recording's tempo) passage:

"...because Miss Takahashi keeps the pedal half-down throughout the piece, and I don't want you to feel in a sense that she is one of those pianists that never take the pedal off [laughter]..."

I don't fully understand this, because most of the score pages I saw on the Youtube video cited (disclosure: I didn't check them all) already indicate "1/2 Ped." Maybe that means she keeps the pedal half-down on the pages that don't specify it? Or maybe (she co-commissioned the piece) her input led to the "1/2 Ped." markings? I dunno.

Very good work, finding that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #707 on: October 06, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »
Very good work, finding that.
it’s interesting to me that she was in Japan last year playing Schubert. No Feldman. I guess like any geriatric audience, Feldman wouldn’t keep them awake.

Offline T. D.

« Reply #708 on: October 06, 2020, 06:36:02 PM »

There's one on discogs for US$34.99 + $6 S/H which doesn't seem outrageous if you really want it.
Disclosure: I have no connection with the seller.  ;) In fact, I don't love the sonority of Feldman's compositions for SQ (prefer to hear some piano or percussion), am not interested in the ultra-long SQ II, and never owned a recording thereof.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:38:14 PM by T. D. »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #709 on: October 06, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
it’s interesting to me that she was in Japan last year playing Schubert. No Feldman. I guess like any geriatric audience, Feldman wouldn’t keep them awake.

She’s released a lot of Schubert CDs recently, they’re not bad at all, a bit tense sometimes maybe, but that could be a good thing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline T. D.

« Reply #710 on: October 13, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »
Back to the subject of Feldman students...I purchased a CD (my third) of Mamoru Fujieda's music and was surprised to find (probably once knew, but had forgotten) that he was "a student of Feldman", presumably when Feldman was at UCSD in the '80s. I never know exactly what "student" means - in the case of famous composer/teachers, I sometimes suspect that it translates as "once took a course from" - but found this interesting list:

http://www.radioswissclassic.ch/en/music-database/musician/518114665a2340bc17c894aae14b1cb80e6cd/biography?app=true

Notable students
Julius Eastman
Mamoru Fujieda
Kyle Gann
Orlando Jacinto Garcia
Tom Johnson
Joëlle Léandre
Fred Lonberg-Holm
Bunita Marcus
Bobby Previte
Elliott Sharp
Bernadette Speach

Really interesting and eclectic roster, subject to the above reservation.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:17:15 PM by T. D. »

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Live "Rothko Chapel" this Friday from Belgium
« Reply #711 on: November 03, 2020, 09:33:18 AM »
Feldman fans, take note!

This Friday, the Brussels Philharmonic, Flemish Radio Choir, and conductor George Jackson in this fascinating program, livestreamed:

Anna Thorvaldsdottir: Streaming Arhythmia
Claire-Mélanie Sinnhuber (b. 1973): Chahut (pour 15 musiciens) WORLD PREMIERE
Morton Feldman: Rothko Chapel

https://www.arsmusica.be/nl/events/feldman-rothko-chapel/

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
Feldman 'Palais de Mari' tonight at 7pm (EST)
« Reply #712 on: November 17, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
Tonight, pianist Sarah Rothenberg (of DACAMERA in Houston) performs Feldman's Palais de Mari (1986), in a film called The Departing Landscape. A Zoom discussion and Q&A will follow. Registration is free at the link below:

https://www.dacamera.com/?event=music-time-feldman-ancient-galleries

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY