Morton Feldman (1926-1987)

Started by bhodges, March 12, 2008, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uffeviking

Quote from: Catison on April 15, 2008, 06:00:30 PM
It might help if you skip to Why Patterns? every so often if you want to branch out a little bit.

Thank you so much for the guidance and I'll remember it next time I order CDs. For now though, I have enough to chew on with my five CDs of Feldman music, Why Patterns not among them - yet!  :)

Catison

Quote from: uffeviking on April 15, 2008, 06:12:15 PM
Thank you so much for the guidance and I'll remember it next time I order CDs. For now though, I have enough to chew on with my five CDs of Feldman music, Why Patterns not among them - yet!  :)

Well, I assumed you had the recording in which Rothko Chapel is coupled with Why Patterns?.  My mistake.
-Brett

uffeviking

No, sorry. The Rothko Chapel I have is coupled with Piano and Orchestra, Durations II and the Rothko is by Klangform Wien.

karlhenning

Quote from: uffeviking on April 15, 2008, 06:12:15 PM
. . . my five CDs of Feldman music, Why Patterns not among them - yet!  :)

Why not Why Patterns? . . ?  ;)

uffeviking

Because neither you, Karl, nor Catison, has recommended it to me! You gotta tell me about those things, that's why I am hanging around a classical music forum!  ;D

not edward

Anyone heard the new ECM recording of the complete The Viola in my Life series? I only know the first two pieces in the series from the fine ensemble recherché recording on Montaigne (my introduction to this composer and a singularly fine one too).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

bhodges

Quote from: edward on April 16, 2008, 08:00:57 AM
Anyone heard the new ECM recording of the complete The Viola in my Life series? I only know the first two pieces in the series from the fine ensemble recherché recording on Montaigne (my introduction to this composer and a singularly fine one too).

Haven't heard it, but glad to know about it!  And I'd be interested in comments from others, as well.

--Bruce

karlhenning

You will all be in the know on the reference in my forthcoming score, The Viola in My Hibachi  8)

karlhenning

Quote from: karlhenning on May 28, 2008, 03:33:08 AM
Depends on what you mean by "wrong."

However, there is little enough interest in Feldman on this board, generally, that having multiple threads is like no conversation at all, but this individual inhabiting one thread, that individual inhabiting another.

And, as if to illustrate the point, the "furation" thread is sinking like a stone already, after a Feldmanian 'blip' of interest . . . .

not edward

I think one problem when talking about Feldman is that it's often tough to put my finger on why I like his music far more than other superficially similar composers.

Yes, one can say "more harmonically, rhythmically and colouristically interesting" and "prone to more subtle surprises and changes than similar composers" but that doesn't really say anything deep about his work.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

With Feldman, yet more than others, it's hard to pin down why it works, where the same components don't necessarily, in the hands of another.

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on June 02, 2008, 12:35:40 PM
With Feldman, yet more than others, it's hard to pin down why it works, where the same components don't necessarily, in the hands of another.

I'll agree with that--one of the mysteries of his writing.  What should be totally banal, somehow transcends that. 

--Bruce

Catison

You can download an mp3 of the complete For Bunita Marcus at Amazon.com for just $0.89!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00162HWU2/ref=dm_ty_adp?ie=UTF8&parent=B00162I9UO

I'm listening now.  It's beautiful!!!
-Brett

bhodges

Thanks, Brett!  Man, can't do much better than 89 cents...

--Bruce

Guido

Quote from: bhodges on June 02, 2008, 12:39:19 PM
I'll agree with that--one of the mysteries of his writing.  What should be totally banal, somehow transcends that. 

--Bruce

Not a mystery. It's his genius! There's your answer. No need for any furthur questions. That perfectly answers it. Yup. Definitely.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Maciek

To be frank, though, I'm not exactly sure who those others who use the same components are... (we're probably thinking about different things, though)

The only composer I can think of who is remotely similar to Feldman is Tomasz Sikorski and in his case it all works as well (at least on me) - but, I repeat, it's only a remote similarity (in fact, it might only be that they both wrote quiet music ;D; Sikorski's pieces are not nearly as drawn out and their pace might be briskier).

BTW, I could merge the "furation thread" into this one, just to tidy things up. Any objections?

bhodges

Quote from: Maciek on February 20, 2009, 02:30:21 PM
BTW, I could merge the "furation thread" into this one, just to tidy things up. Any objections?

Hey, run wild!  ;D  And thanks for the mention of Sikorski--another composer new to me. 

--Bruce

istanbul

my favorites
string quartet I (1979)
crippled symetry (1983)
piano and string quartet (1985)
coptic light (1985)
vioiln and string quartet (1985)
palais de mari (1986)

i didn't find anywhere feldman's last work:
pianoi, violini, viola, cello (1987)

karlhenning

Mmm . . . reminds me to cue Coptic Light back up . . . .

snyprrr

Piano and String Quartet is about the creepiest perfect heroin music ever. Basquiat. I find so much "of course" perfection into its arpeggio-chord structure. Of course you're allowed to nod off!!! :D

CPO's 4 ctos. were the bargain of the ages when it came out (remember that disc of Boulez, Lachenmann, and Scelsi?). The flute heralds Feldman's late style, the piano is amazingly flat, and the cello is very dramatic. For me, this is the perfect Feldman length.

Already I'm getting the feeling I've written this all on another thread.

But for Feldman's music to sound the way it does when every picture of him contains a cigarette I find spiritually creepy, like he is channelling death.