Morton Feldman (1926-1987)

Started by bhodges, March 12, 2008, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on June 02, 2009, 12:39:14 AM
Piano and String Quartet is about the creepiest perfect heroin music ever. Basquiat. I find so much "of course" perfection into its arpeggio-chord structure. Of course you're allowed to nod off!!! :D

CPO's 4 ctos. were the bargain of the ages when it came out (remember that disc of Boulez, Lachenmann, and Scelsi?). The flute heralds Feldman's late style, the piano is amazingly flat, and the cello is very dramatic. For me, this is the perfect Feldman length.

Already I'm getting the feeling I've written this all on another thread.

But for Feldman's music to sound the way it does when every picture of him contains a cigarette I find spiritually creepy, like he is channelling death.

Feldman's Cello and Orchestra is a wonderful score isn't it. The nightmarish mists that it conjures beneath the arching cello line is just magical - somehow the whole thing seems like a single song or cry - passionate but also numb.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

snyprrr

Yea, the Cello Cto. is a bit different for Feldman. Exactly like you said.

Catison

Quote from: Guido on June 02, 2009, 12:52:16 AM
Feldman's Cello and Orchestra is a wonderful score isn't it. The nightmarish mists that it conjures beneath the arching cello line is just magical - somehow the whole thing seems like a single song or cry - passionate but also numb.

In a way, Feldman's whole oeuvre is a single cry.  It seems there was some sort of well spring of music in Feldman's head, and he would dip the cello, the viola, and the piano and out would pop some composition, perfectly suited for its orchestration.  Feldman had an unnatural gift for speaking with a true voice.  It is amazing how simple Feldman's music is, but it would be impossible to copy.
-Brett

karlhenning

QuoteMmm . . . reminds me to cue Coptic Light back up . . . .

Listened last night.  Now, this is a piece I'll listen to every evening for two weeks, I just know it.

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 03, 2009, 11:51:05 AM
Listened last night.  Now, this is a piece I'll listen to every evening for two weeks, I just know it.

I have the Tilson Thomas and Michael Morgan recordings.  The one that Fanfare says is the best is Gielen, which coupled with, of all things, the Bruckner 8th.  Anyone see the connection?

bhodges

Quote from: Daverz on June 03, 2009, 04:05:14 PM
I have the Tilson Thomas and Michael Morgan recordings.  The one that Fanfare says is the best is Gielen, which coupled with, of all things, the Bruckner 8th.  Anyone see the connection?

Lately I do see Bruckner as linked to minimalism (not the only way I see him, of course), so this pairing might be more appropriate than we think!

On Friday, June 19, Either/Or is doing Feldman's Why Patterns? at Issue Project Room in Brooklyn, along with pianist David Budin in Stockhausen's Klavierstücke IX.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on June 08, 2009, 08:27:46 AM
On Friday, June 19, Either/Or is doing Feldman's Why Patterns? at Issue Project Room in Brooklyn, along with pianist David Budin in Stockhausen's Klavierstücke IX.

You going, Bruce? That is, for whatever passel of reasons, one of my consistent Feldman favorites.

bhodges

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 08, 2009, 08:30:44 AM
You going, Bruce? That is, for whatever passel of reasons, one of my consistent Feldman favorites.

Yes, at the moment I'm planning to (even though the cool venue is a bit of a hike), since I love the group and heard them do the piece back in 2005.  They will do a great job with it, I'm sure.  And I like the piece, too.

--Bruce

snyprrr

No one's mentioned SQ 2 yet.

I just wish the DVD would have come out before I swore off Feldman (due to having to deal with those HatArt/HatHut cds).

Catison

It is so weird, Naxos music library has the Coptic Light with Gielen, but it will simply not play.  I was really excited about it too.
-Brett

karlhenning

Quote from: Catison on June 12, 2009, 06:35:12 AM
It is so weird, Naxos music library has the Coptic Light with Gielen, but it will simply not play.  I was really excited about it too.

Argh! Hope they fix that, Brett!

UB

In wandering around looking at what was being played on the web I came across this recent broadcast of Feldman's Violin and String Quartet

If you have a couple of hours you can hear one of Feldman's late works. I have trouble with any work of Feldman that goes beyond 90 minutes.  In this case the first 90 minutes is worth hearing while the last 30 minutes is among my favorite Feldman music.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

Catison

Thanks for the link.  Violin and String Quartet is definitely my favorite _____ and String Quartet piece.
-Brett

bhodges

Happy Birthday to Morton Feldman.  Alex Ross has a post here, with link to a video of Projection 1 (1950).

--Bruce

karlhenning

I have (at unawares) been preparing for this, I suppose, with Crippled Symmetry in such heavy rotation.

greg

So, I got most of his recorded stuff (including several recordings of the same pieces)- haven't checked how close to his whole recorded output, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to it.

I relistened to a few that I listened to a few years ago, such as the "concertos", and the 1st String Quartet, but my favorites so far are the ones that I listened to for the first time, such as For Christian Wolff and Neither. What should I listen to next if I like these?...
(or would it be impossible not to say "all of them!"?)  ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: Greg on January 19, 2010, 11:58:58 AM
I relistened to a few that I listened to a few years ago, such as the "concertos", and the 1st String Quartet, but my favorites so far are the ones that I listened to for the first time, such as For Christian Wolff and Neither. What should I listen to next if I like these?...
(or would it be impossible not to say "all of them!"?)  ;D

Well, I'm really just going to list the pieces I am most enthusiastic about (in which number is included For Christian Wolff):

Why Patterns?
Rothko Chapel
Coptic Light
Crippled Symmetry

UB

I will second Karl's excellent list with the addition of the late graph work "Out of last pieces."
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 19, 2010, 12:02:35 PM
Well, I'm really just going to list the pieces I am most enthusiastic about (in which number is included For Christian Wolff):

Why Patterns?
Rothko Chapel
Coptic Light
Crippled Symmetry

Thanks for the list.  :)
I listened to Why Patterns yesterday and didn't care for it... Rothko Chapel I've heard clips of on youtube and plan to listen to the whole thing since I loved it. I heard Coptic Light on youtube not long ago, and liked that one, too. Crippled Symmetry I just haven't got to yet (was about to listen to it yesterday)...  :D

karlhenning

Heavy Metal Dave has now officially become a Feldmaniac.  Life is good.