Morton Feldman (1926-1987)

Started by bhodges, March 12, 2008, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Greg on January 20, 2010, 03:30:42 AM
I listened to Why Patterns yesterday and didn't care for it...

But (as implied by my list) that is one of my great favorites!  Come back to it in 15 years.  Feldman was patient . . . .

MN Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 20, 2010, 06:36:33 AM
Heavy Metal Dave has now officially become a Feldmaniac.  Life is good.

:)

Well, I wouldn't go that far...yet.

MN Dave

Feldman is repetitious like pop music and calming like new age; what makes him"classical"?

CD

Is it repetition that makes pop "pop"? Haydn is pretty repetitious, but one would be hard-pressed to call his music "pop". And there is quite a bit of Feldman that is very un-calming — for instance his Durations pieces or the String Quartet (1979).

From my understanding, whenever classical music approaches Windham Hill, the difference is the fact that the former is notated, while the latter is not.

MN Dave

Quote from: Corey on January 20, 2010, 09:52:49 AM
Is it repetition that makes pop "pop"? Haydn is pretty repetitious, but one would be hard-pressed to call his music "pop". And there is quite a bit of Feldman that is very un-calming — for instance his Durations pieces or the String Quartet (1979).

From my understanding, whenever classical music approaches Windham Hill, the difference is the fact that the former is notated, while the latter is not.

Repetition is part of what makes pop "pop".

I haven't heard a lot of Feldman. In fact, one piece so far. Though I've read a bit about him.

karlhenning

There's repetition in most music, of course . . . I don't find the repetition in Feldman to be at all related to the repetition in pop music.  The 'relaxing' aspect, too, I find more engaging, more 'mysterious', than your new agey stuff.

(Not that it's your new agey stuff . . . .)

MN Dave

In my experience, one of the main complaints about pop music is that it's too repetitious.

MN Dave

And simplicity. I mean, is this stuff hard to play? Maybe it requires endurance, but otherwise...   :)

greg

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 20, 2010, 09:36:18 AM
Feldman is repetitious like pop music and calming like new age; what makes him"classical"?
Could you imagine going to a store and having them play Feldman?  ;D

I could just hear it now... "oh, boy, golly, that is some strange music. It's like, uh, you know, off... and there's, like, no beat to it. And it sounds like there is a piano and violin playing stuff. And there's no lyrics. This is creepy. The notes don't sound right.... ehhh mama, help me! I scared. Did a serial killer write this? Wahhhh...."

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 20, 2010, 10:13:28 AM
In my experience, one of the main complaints about pop music is that it's too repetitious.
I once asked a friend what he liked about the song "Gasolina" (the hit reggaeton song about 5 or so years ago). I told him that the beat is the same thing over and over again (I might've also said it's repetitive and boring, though I probably didn't). He just said, "that's the system."  ???

Honestly, such a response just make my brain explode with confusion, but maybe it'd be best to keep in mind that most people don't care too much to think for themself when it comes to music, and are kind of like lost sheep that end up following whatever shepherd they think is right for them (factoring in what they're exposed to and their demographic). Luckily, I have known a few people who listen to "everything" (though I doubt they've scratched the surface of classical or jazz), so not every single person is like that.

CD

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 20, 2010, 10:19:27 AM
And simplicity. I mean, is this stuff hard to play? Maybe it requires endurance, but otherwise...   :)

The simplicity is deceiving as Luke and others here have mentioned. From what I've heard, Feldman's notation is famously precise. I can't yet read music, so I couldn't say.

greg

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 20, 2010, 10:19:27 AM

(unless you're talking about Feldman)

Lol, try playing some of the hit songs transcribed in a Guitar magazine. If you've never picked up a guitar before, just practice for a month or two and you're good.

I was listening to this one really popular song, "Crazy Bitch" this morning. I think this song pretty much sums up what is wrong with the world.

Here's the video and here's the tab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKX8v46Z11E#movie_player

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/buckcherry/crazy_bitch_tab.htm

Go ahead, just pick up a guitar and practice for about a month, and you'll be rich, famous, and have many women that worship you. Just don't, you know, get better than you were at the end of that first month, because that pathway leads down to EEEEEEEEVVVVILLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!   >:D :'(

greg

Quote from: Corey on January 20, 2010, 01:39:58 PM
The simplicity is deceiving as Luke and others here have mentioned. From what I've heard, Feldman's notation is famously precise. I can't yet read music, so I couldn't say.
Yeah, let's just say he changes time signatures nearly every bar.  :D

MN Dave

Brahmsian

OK.  Well, I had my first exposure to Feldman, as I listened to his Piano & String Quartet (Kronos Quartet recording).  I wasn't enthused, to be honest.  :(  It wasn't a, shall we say, barnstorming first listen.

I found the work to be a little too 'pianissimo'.  I guess I had a different expectation.

Oh well, I reserve judgment on Feldman until further listening.

For now, however, I think I may hold off on listening to his 5-hour string quartet.  ;D

bhodges

He is definitely one of those "not for every day" composers.  I like the trance-inducing state that some of his pieces can produce, but listening to much of is work does require you to be carried along at the mercy of a slower moving vehicle!  I find his pieces work exceptionally well in the concert hall, where you don't have many distractions and are forced to concentrate on the music.

I actually haven't yet heard that (notorious) Second String Quartet.  ;D

--Bruce

DavidW

So for a newbie, is Coptic Light the way to go?  I see that it appeared often in the favorites list, or would you rec something else? :)

Mirror Image

Since Takemitsu has been flying under my radar lately, I would like to get into some of Feldman's music, but I'm not really sure where to start. Since I'm more of a fan of orchestral music, can anybody give me some recommendations? Thanks!

snyprrr

Quote from: DavidW on October 19, 2010, 05:54:07 PM
So for a newbie, is Coptic Light the way to go?  I see that it appeared often in the favorites list, or would you rec something else? :)

I'd go with that CPO/Zender 2cd.

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2010, 07:12:23 PM
Since Takemitsu has been flying under my radar lately, I would like to get into some of Feldman's music, but I'm not really sure where to start. Since I'm more of a fan of orchestral music, can anybody give me some recommendations? Thanks!

I'd go with the CPO?Zender 2cd.

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 19, 2010, 03:36:20 PM
OK.  Well, I had my first exposure to Feldman, as I listened to his Piano & String Quartet (Kronos Quartet recording).  I wasn't enthused, to be honest.  :(  It wasn't a, shall we say, barnstorming first listen.

I found the work to be a little too 'pianissimo'.  I guess I had a different expectation.

Oh well, I reserve judgment on Feldman until further listening.

For now, however, I think I may hold off on listening to his 5-hour string quartet.  ;D

Zanax? Vicidin? Percaset?,... I hear a few bong hi Seriously, you were probably just listening, something you shouldn't do with Feldman. Just treat him like a glorified Eno, haha! Set it, and forget it! Put it on and go about your biz,... especially that Kronos piece. It's for those sleepless 3am, existential hangovers.

Quote from: Greg on January 20, 2010, 01:47:39 PM"Crazy Bitch"

In the Feldman Thread??? :o??? :o oh, for soothe :'([quote author=Corey link=topic=6626.msg386259#msg386259 date=1264013569

[/quote]

LOL! Has anyone ever met a New Age artist? Who is even considered anymore? Isn't it called Contemporary Instrumental, or something? Back to that Xenakis quote??? ack!!! George Winston vs. Feldman, oh, that's funny, haha!

snyprrr

I'm looking for a new Feldman friend.

RULE #1: nothing over 1 cd length.

That limits it to certain recordings of

1) the cello/piano piece
2) Triadic Memories
3) Trio
4) Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello
5) for John Cage
6) Clarinet & SQ

Otherwise, Violin & SQ, and SQ No.2 are on the radar. The former may be the way to go. (btw- the crossed out items I've already had, and I'm kinda eh on them,...though, TriadMem's cool).

I used to try Feldman for the NewAge-y aspects, but then I just tired of ALL music like that. Who's gonna tell me I need music to relax? Motherfu... Now I'll go to Feldman in spite of the so-called relaxing aspects.

The last time I "heard" that Kronos cd was during sex. It repeated 3 times. DavidW will never listen to the piece again!

and, btw- "normal" people think the Kronos disc is "creepy", NOT soothing. Trust me, I've tried,...oh, how I've tried.

"eeeww,...that's kinda creepy. Are you gonna rape me?"

I kid you not (it DID get better from there, haha)!

WARNING: DON'T THINK FELDMAN WILL HAVE THE SAME EFFECT AS BARRY WHITE ON THE LADIES!!!!

bhodges

Quote from: snyprrr on October 19, 2010, 08:24:15 PM
WARNING: DON'T THINK FELDMAN WILL HAVE THE SAME EFFECT AS BARRY WHITE ON THE LADIES!!!!

:D

--Bruce