Morton Feldman (1926-1987)

Started by bhodges, March 12, 2008, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

For Phillip Guston is fabulous! That recording (and the lecture) especially!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: petrarch on November 06, 2013, 03:30:55 AM
Feldman is definitely worthwhile. I have the entire series on Mode and quite a few others and it is always a pleasure to listen to his works. Given your taste inclinations, you should definitely try Rothko Chapel... that last movement is just magical in the way it brings the work to a close. Have you listened to For Philip Guston in full yet? :)

Yep, I've already heard Rothko Chapel many, many times (the California EAR Unit performance) and Why Patterns? as well. I need to revisit Why Patterns? though as it's been quite some since I listened to it. For Philip Guston I haven't heard yet as I just bought a recording of it (pictured above) yesterday. I agree with you about the last movement of Rothko Chapel, but the whole work is gorgeous.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 06, 2013, 06:30:18 AM
Yep, I've already heard Rothko Chapel many, many times (the California EAR Unit performance) and Why Patterns? as well. I need to revisit Why Patterns? though as it's been quite some since I listened to it. For Philip Guston I haven't heard yet as I just bought a recording of it (pictured above) yesterday. I agree with you about the last movement of Rothko Chapel, but the whole work is gorgeous.

I am a big fan of the California Ear Unit in general and Dorothy Stone in particular. I think you will like Guston. It is long, but then again, Feldman is all about scale and if anyone needs that kind of scale, it is Phillip Guston.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on November 06, 2013, 06:44:53 AM
I am a big fan of the California Ear Unit in general and Dorothy Stone in particular. I think you will like Guston. It is long, but then again, Feldman is all about scale and if anyone needs that kind of scale, it is Phillip Guston.

They're a fine ensemble no question about it. As for the length of For Philip Guston, that's not a problem because I'm probably going to just listen to it piece-by-piece instead of taking on the whole mammoth. That seems like a more viable, and realistic, way to enjoy the music. I did the same thing with Wagner's Ring. These are just too massive works to sit down to in one setting, but everyone knows this already I'm sure. :)

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 06, 2013, 06:47:41 AM
They're a fine ensemble no question about it. As for the length of For Philip Guston, that's not a problem because I'm probably going to just listen to it piece-by-piece instead of taking on the whole mammoth. That seems like a more viable, and realistic, way to enjoy the music. I did the same thing with Wagner's Ring. These are just too massive works to sit down to in one setting, but everyone knows this already I'm sure. :)
If one day you do have half a day, please listen to it through. Unlike The Ring, it is a complete integral work of massive scale that makes sense only when listened in one sitting.

I trust you have the time.

(I also trust you don't have the patience)

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on November 06, 2013, 06:49:51 AM
If one day you do have half a day, please listen to it through. Unlike The Ring, it is a complete integral work of massive scale that makes sense only when listened in one sitting.

I trust you have the time.

(I also trust you don't have the patience)

I have the patience, but lately I haven't had the time. :)

petrarch

Quote from: springrite on November 06, 2013, 06:49:51 AM
Unlike The Ring, it is a complete integral work of massive scale

This. It is a single piece, without subdivisions (yes, it is 4+ hours).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: petrarch on November 06, 2013, 06:57:37 AM
This. It is a single piece, without subdivisions (yes, it is 4+ hours).

The only subdivision is when I have to change the disc. ;)

Artem

Quote from: petrarch on November 06, 2013, 03:30:55 AM
Feldman is definitely worthwhile. I have the entire series on Mode
Do you have a favourite among them?

Octave

Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

7/4

Octave

Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

not edward

Quote from: Gerard GriseyWith Feldman, it's absolutely extraordinary. It's like anti-music in the sense that all expectation is constantly deluded. He puts down a pattern and you expect it's going to go in that direction, and at that moment it doesn't. Later, it changes at exactly the moment when you think, "That's going to last." He is constantly negating whatever you expect.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

petrarch

Quote from: Artem on November 06, 2013, 05:17:19 PM
Do you have a favourite among them?

They are all good in one way or another. I am especially fond of the one with Aki Takahashi, the 1950s recordings and Composing by Numbers.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Pessoa

For Philip Guston is the only of his recordings I own. Ive been playing it for years, in three parts or the 3cds in a row. Now i am feeling like moving to something else, probably with different timbres. I am considering the piano and string quartet. Any thoughts?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pessoa on November 20, 2013, 03:26:39 PM
For Philip Guston is the only of his recordings I own. Ive been playing it for years, in three parts or the 3cds in a row. Now i am feeling like moving to something else, probably with different timbres. I am considering the piano and string quartet. Any thoughts?

Rothko Chapel. The California EAR Unit performance. 'Nuff said. 8)

Artem

I'm not a big fan of Piano and String Quartet. It is a nice piece, but a little too straight forward for my taste in late Feldman compositions.

Try his solo piano music instead. I like For Bunita Marcus a lot.

amw

I quite like the untitled piece for cello and piano, Neither and Triadic Memories. The disc of X and Orchestra pieces has been on my imaginary wishlist for a while, if you're looking for some shorter Feldman.

Pessoa

Well, thanks for all the opinions. I like Bunita Marcus, not so much Rothko, and I like cello as an instrument, though I only listened to parts of FeldmanĀ“s output. Never heard the piano and string q., I was only guessing. All in all, I wonder if all the Feldman I like is not  condensed in Philip Guston already...