Morton Feldman (1926-1987)

Started by bhodges, March 12, 2008, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: EigenUser on February 13, 2014, 07:22:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I am enjoying the "String Quartet and Orchestra" right now. I still think that I like "Rothko Chapel" best so far, but it always takes me some time to understand modern music (even though it's my favorite genre) and it's good for me to get recommendations and to discover new things.

For some reason, I am tentative about music that is indeterminate. It sounds silly, but I think that it is from being aware that it is indeterminate as opposed to the resulting sound. I'll have to try and forget about this when I listen to "Durations" next.

It might help you remove this bias if you consider indeterminate music as an extension of what performers have always done in the liberties they employ as they interpret a score.

snyprrr

not edward

Quote from: snyprrr on February 14, 2014, 07:49:55 AM
Huh, where does that come from? I recall no recording...
There was one on Hat Hut issued in the late '90s, I think (I've had it for a very long time now).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

I think Xenakis and Feldman are the exact same coin, different faces. They seemed to be friendly, and seemed to understand each others' musical purpose perfectly. The antidote for Xenakis is Feldman, and vice versa.

snyprrr

Quote from: edward on February 14, 2014, 07:51:11 AM
There was one on Hat Hut issued in the late '90s, I think (I've had it for a very long time now).

Wow, have NEVER seen that one. huh... who are the participants?

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

UB

If you want to learn about Feldman and his work, as well as being able to listen to recordings from time to time, I suggest you bookmark this page... http://www.cnvill.net/mfhome.htm
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

EigenUser

Listening to "Rothko Chapel" now. Has anyone noticed the Debussy quote in the fourth movement (from "Sirenes", the third of the "Trois Nocturnes")? It happens a few times, but most prominently at 21:10
http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZZ0DYIkaP8
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on March 14, 2014, 01:39:56 PM
Listening to "Rothko Chapel" now. Has anyone noticed the Debussy quote in the fourth movement (from "Sirenes", the third of the "Trois Nocturnes")? It happens a few times, but most prominently at 21:10
http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZZ0DYIkaP8

Haven't noticed but am delighted to see you're enjoying my suggestion of Rothko Chapel so much. It's my favorite Feldman and the only one I return to in any kind of frequency. It has enough variety in the music to keep me interested and it's sonorities are just otherworldly beautiful.

EigenUser

I love this piece. If you like it, you'd probably like "Piano and String Quartet" and/or "Madame Press Died Last Week at Ninety" as well. Then again, you seem to have conquered a lot of territory in terms of listening so I'd guess that you've probably heard these already.

So far I think I like Feldman's style more than I like his actual music (if that makes any sense whatsoever), though I'm sure that I will continue to appreciate more and more of his work as time goes on. Amidst such a noisy musical era, I love how he has the audacity to write music that verges on the inaudible. It's almost like he's being the most avant-garde of him all.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Artem

I think Feldman's piano works are my favourite. There are many gems in all periods of his piano composing.

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on March 16, 2014, 06:52:33 AM
I love this piece. If you like it, you'd probably like "Piano and String Quartet" and/or "Madame Press Died Last Week at Ninety" as well. Then again, you seem to have conquered a lot of territory in terms of listening so I'd guess that you've probably heard these already.

So far I think I like Feldman's style more than I like his actual music (if that makes any sense whatsoever), though I'm sure that I will continue to appreciate more and more of his work as time goes on. Amidst such a noisy musical era, I love how he has the audacity to write music that verges on the inaudible. It's almost like he's being the most avant-garde of him all.

I think my problem with Feldman in general is the fact that there is no development in his music. It's just so static and being a former percussionist, it drives me crazy that there's just no rhythm! Anyway, the very reason I dislike his music is also the same reason why people enjoy him. I do enjoy Rothko Chapel and also For Franz Kline. I still need to listen to The Viola In My Life.

milk

This is music just blows me away.

EigenUser

Quote from: milk on April 02, 2014, 04:48:46 AM
This is music just blows me away.

I need to listen to this again. I remember not liking it that much, but I think that I've gotten more used to Feldman's style since then.

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 16, 2014, 06:52:33 AM

This makes total sense to me as do John's remarks. I like forward motion in music. I might go as far as to say that's the most important aspect. It is of course impossible to define! But you can sense it: meolody, harmony, rhythm, development, it's the essence of good minimalism. But I find it a lot more in Madame Press than most MF.

This seems a good spot to push one of my pet pieces, KMH by Lubomyr Melnyck, a Canadian who went to my university. This is a scratchy upload of a vinyl, the piece is availble in a spotless cd transfer. I programmed this on radio several times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gSeRD2fyoE

snyprrr

What's missing from the Feldman Discography?

milk

Quote from: snyprrr on April 02, 2014, 10:44:43 AM
What's missing from the Feldman Discography?
His last chamber piece is very hard to get a hold of: Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello (1987) - I think that's the title. 

San Antone

Quote from: milk on April 02, 2014, 12:15:14 PM
His last chamber piece is very hard to get a hold of: Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello (1987) - I think that's the title.

If you just want to hear it ...

https://www.youtube.com/v/JtFbOFHVL1U

milk

Quote from: sanantonio on April 02, 2014, 12:17:00 PM
If you just want to hear it ...

https://www.youtube.com/v/JtFbOFHVL1U
Thanks so much. Someone else in another thread also pointed this out. I have a sort of neurotic need to have sound files of music. I don't know why since the link is perfectly good at home or on my phone as well.

EigenUser

Quote from: milk on April 02, 2014, 12:22:42 PM
Thanks so much. Someone else in another thread also pointed this out. I have a sort of neurotic need to have sound files of music. I don't know why since the link is perfectly good at home or on my phone as well.
You can do what I did: http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

;)

Unless you want to pay $150 for the CD, that's the only option as of now. I don't know why this particular one is so difficult to find.