Morton Feldman (1926-1987)

Started by bhodges, March 12, 2008, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

I received the latest CD (Two Pianos and Other Pieces, 1953-1969) of Feldman's music yesterday. Has anybody got it too?

I began exploring it today. Had some time to listen to the first CD and my initial impression is that it is a very well chosen program, but played a bit too slow, compared to the version of some of these pieces on other CDs. But that is just the first listen, which I usually don't trust.

San Antone

Been listening to this one ...

Coptic Light
Coptic Light
Piano and Orchestra
Cello and Orchestra

Alan Feinberg, piano
Robert Cohen, cello
New World Symphony Orchestra/Michael Tilson Thomas
Argo 448513-2 DDD 73:35

A good place to begin a Feldman collection.

EigenUser

Quote from: sanantonio on February 24, 2015, 08:03:15 AM
Been listening to this one ...

Coptic Light
Coptic Light
Piano and Orchestra
Cello and Orchestra

Alan Feinberg, piano
Robert Cohen, cello
New World Symphony Orchestra/Michael Tilson Thomas
Argo 448513-2 DDD 73:35

A good place to begin a Feldman collection.
This is one of my favorite albums (ever).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

EigenUser

The only video of Feldman I've seen:
https://www.youtube.com/v/0hEs4nelc_8

And here's a four hour long discussion with Cage (combined from several discussions). I like how you can hear a cigarette be lit every few minutes... Adds to the atmosphere (even though I'm allergic to smoke...)
https://www.youtube.com/v/5bW2Q1i5Yik
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

EigenUser

So I've exhausted the supply of Feldman talks/interviews. I wish there was more since he had so much to say about music and art in general, but it was nice to see/hear what exists. Probably more than many composers, but I feel that I only got to hear the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

This one, from 1986, was my favorite: https://archive.org/details/MFeldmanSOM

The highlight was when someone mentioned "consonance" in his music. His reply was something like "If I ever thought to use the term 'consonant' to describe any of my music -- I think I'd quietly go to the basement -- and hang myself."

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: EigenUser on February 24, 2015, 04:05:56 PM
This is one of my favorite albums (ever).
Definitely a great piece. Somehow it always reminds me of the last movement of Ives' 4th symphony. Is it just me or does anybody have the same impression?

EigenUser

Quote from: chadfeldheimer on April 21, 2015, 10:10:55 AM
Definitely a great piece. Somehow it always reminds me of the last movement of Ives' 4th symphony. Is it just me or does anybody have the same impression?
I need to hear the Ives again, but I'll keep that in mind.

I heard Feldman's second SQ yesterday (for the first time). The six-hour one. I feel like I deserve a gold star or something.

A lot of it reminded me of Ligeti's Ramifications (a piece for 12 strings). It had a lot of similar "rocking-back-and-forth" figures. The weird part was when it ended, though. The silence for a few minutes after was eerie and uncomfortable.

Karl Henning

Quote from: EigenUser on May 09, 2015, 01:58:53 AM
I need to hear the Ives again, but I'll keep that in mind.

I heard Feldman's second SQ yesterday (for the first time). The six-hour one. I feel like I deserve a gold star or something.

A lot of it reminded me of Ligeti's Ramifications (a piece for 12 strings). It had a lot of similar "rocking-back-and-forth" figures. The weird part was when it ended, though. The silence for a few minutes after was eerie and uncomfortable.

Wonderful!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

milk

I just got this but haven't listened to it yet:

I also got this and started listening to it and I must say that this is the most bizarre Feldman I've ever heard. This is Feldman on an electric guitar that's been manipulated in some way. I'm enjoying this.

I saw this review of Melnikov's live Feldman. I'm intrigued:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/15/triadic-memories-alexander-melnikov-wigmore-hall-review

milk

Quote from: milk on July 31, 2015, 12:09:29 AM
I just got this but haven't listened to it yet:

I also got this and started listening to it and I must say that this is the most bizarre Feldman I've ever heard. This is Feldman on an electric guitar that's been manipulated in some way. I'm enjoying this.

I saw this review of Melnikov's live Feldman. I'm intrigued:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/15/triadic-memories-alexander-melnikov-wigmore-hall-review
Follow-up: I found the Something Wild album pretty boring. As for the Akchote, it's pretty interesting. I like the sound he's produced. However, the pieces don't build to anything as they are broken up so discretely. I admire what he's done and I may return to it again. It's unique. Yet, I wonder why it has to be so disjointed.

7/4

Quote from: milk on August 01, 2015, 07:03:42 PM
Follow-up: I found the Something Wild album pretty boring. As for the Akchote, it's pretty interesting. I like the sound he's produced. However, the pieces don't build to anything as they are broken up so discretely. I admire what he's done and I may return to it again. It's unique. Yet, I wonder why it has to be so disjointed.

I don't remember liking that CD much, maybe it's time to revisit...see if I connect this time.

torut

Melnikov's Feldman sounds interesting. It's a bit surprising.

I only heard few Akchoté, which are arrangements of Cage's works for guitar (Harmonies, String Quartet), and I liked them a lot. Samples of Triadic Memories sounded quite strange, very different from the piano version.

Scion7

Whoa!  I'd never seen this guy's face before today. 
I can see where he had lots of time for composing with a pus like that!!!   :P

What do you think of this performace?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHuh1yR0z8
Too bad you can't really take something like this on the road,
not unless you pair it up with Mahler or something that will draw the crowds.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

milk

Quote from: Scion7 on August 22, 2015, 08:48:33 AM
Whoa!  I'd never seen this guy's face before today. 
I can see where he had lots of time for composing with a pus like that!!!   :P

What do you think of this performace?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHuh1yR0z8
Too bad you can't really take something like this on the road,
not unless you pair it up with Mahler or something that will draw the crowds.
Ugh. Mahler. Sounds like a terrible pair. Better something like Reich. Doesn't Reich draw? Different as they are it's in the ballpark. Mahler is such a bummer to pair with Feldman. But yeah, not a big draw I guess.

San Antone

Morton Feldman : died 9/3/1987

Morton Feldman was a big, brusque Jewish guy from Woodside, Queens—the son of a manufacturer of children's coats. He worked in the family business until he was forty-four years old, and he later became a professor of music at the State University of New York at Buffalo. He died in 1987, at the age of sixty-one. To almost everyone's surprise but his own, he turned out to be one of the major composers of the twentieth century, a sovereign artist who opened up vast, quiet, agonizingly beautiful worlds of sound.

milk

I picked up this recently. The style is too romantic-sounding for me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: milk on October 31, 2015, 05:04:53 PM

I picked up this recently. The style is too romantic-sounding for me.

Thanks for taking one for the team. I'll continue to cherish my California EAR Unit performance.

Scion7

Quote from: sanantonio on September 03, 2015, 04:38:18 AMTo almost everyone's surprise but his own, he turned out to be one of the major composers of the twentieth century, ....

Yeah, I think that WOULD be a surprise, because he isn't.  He's a rather minor 20th century composer.  And to the general public almost completely unknown.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

springrite

Quote from: Scion7 on November 01, 2015, 02:02:06 AM
Yeah, I think that WOULD be a surprise, because he isn't.  He's a rather minor 20th century composer.  And to the general public almost completely unknown.

Well, our standard here in 20 pages on the composer discussion board. SO he just made it.  8)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2015, 07:07:59 PM
Thanks for taking one for the team. I'll continue to cherish my California EAR Unit performance.

Well, that is the one to get. Dorothy Stone is second to none.  :)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.