The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Dvorak's Cello Concerto

(1/23) > >>

rubio:
I think I only have one recording of this treasured work, Rostropovich/Karajan (which I like a lot). Then I became aware today of the recording of Fournier/Szell. Fournier is my favourite cellist, so this one is super-tempting. Has anybody here heard it? What do you think of it? And which are your favourite recordings of this work?

And what about Queyras/Belohlavek?

hornteacher:
The Queyras/Belohlavek is fantastic, and the coupling Dumky Trio is also great.  My personal favorite though is here:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=102169

Brian:
The Fournier is extraordinary. One of my top five "desert island discs", for sure, from any genre or style - simply extraordinary playing from everyone involved from first note to last. I have Hornteacher's favorite, and it is absolutely superb - with great modern sound and a beautiful Silent Woods, too - but I just can't bring myself to rate it more highly than Pierre Fournier's recording. Few things are quite so beautiful in life...

:)

Mark:
The Fournier recording is also top choice for this work in the recently published, '1001 Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die'. I might get it. Even though I've always loved Du Pre's handling of it.

Tyson:
Fournier is easily better than both duPre and Rostropovich (and everyone else) in this work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version