Dvorak's Cello Concerto

Started by rubio, March 12, 2008, 01:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: J on October 19, 2009, 03:18:43 PM
Can someone post the movement timings for the Fournier recording?

FOURNIER..........QUEYRAS..........BRUNS
14:51...............15:24...............14:21
11:28...............12:01...............11:26
12:27...............12:42...............12:32
[38:43]............[40:05]............[38:16]

dirkronk

Quote from: J on October 19, 2009, 03:18:43 PM
Can someone post the movement timings for the Fournier recording?

This is from my copy on LP; don't know if there are timing variations in the CD transfer:

1. Allegro   14'37"
2. Adagio ma non troppo   11'21"
3. Finale: Allegro moderato   12'15"

FWIW,

Dirk

vandermolen

I don't know lots of recordings but I loved the Rostropovich/Boult version on an old HMV Concert Classics LP.  Here is is on CD:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

dirkronk

OK, this has nothing to do with Dvorak's cello concerto, BUT...
I answered J's question about timings for the Fournier because when I saw it last night, I did NOT see Brian's response, even though that response was posted 3 hours and 10 minutes or so earlier than mine. I know that on some forums, postings are filtered and don't appear for a while, even hours or almost a day later (rmcr used to be like that years ago), but this one has always been pretty immediate about things showing up. I also realize I may have been a little too sleepy last night and simply didn't notice Brian's post (hey, I'm getting old...it could happen). So has anyone else noticed a lag time in posting? Although it doesn't seem logical, could it possibly be something about browsers? I was on Safari on my Mac at home last night, and am on Internet Explorer now on my work PC. Nah. Surely not.

Call me befuddled...

Dirk

not edward

It could be a browser cache issue. Some browsers are set up by default not to reload pages that have been viewed recently and just to redisplay how they appeared when last viewed.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Opus106

Quote from: dirkronk on October 20, 2009, 05:39:00 AM
I also realize I may have been a little too sleepy last night and simply didn't notice Brian's post (hey, I'm getting old...it could happen).

Perhaps you just didn't notice that the discussion had moved on to page 3? :)

QuoteSo has anyone else noticed a lag time in posting?

I haven't.

Regards,
Navneeth

Timmyb

The Harrell/Levine recording on RCA is worth a listen if you can track a copy down somewhere.

MichaelRabin

What do esteemed members of the forum think of the Wispelwey/Ivan Fischer CD on Channel Classics?

Brian

Quote from: MichaelRabin on October 20, 2009, 02:38:19 PM
What do esteemed members of the forum think of the Wispelwey/Ivan Fischer CD on Channel Classics?

All I heard were samples, and this was about a year ago, but my recollection is Wispelwey really took some interpretive liberties that I wasn't keen on.

LapsangS

Dvorak composed 2 concertos for cello and orchestra... 2nd is the more well-known. But I like more the 1st. Milos Sadlo and Czech Philharmonic with Vaclav Neumann conducting preferred here.

mszczuj

Quote from: Drasko on October 17, 2009, 10:35:26 AM
Zara Nelsova with Susskind is at least worth the asking price:

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorák-Concertos-Complete-Zara-Nelsova/dp/B00005UW2E

I'm glad that I'm not the only one in the Universe who likes it. It is really 3D!

TheGSMoeller

Chicago Symphony Orchestra is performing Dvorak's Cello Concerto tonight with Yo-Yo Ma.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 05, 2012, 05:41:45 AM
Chicago Symphony Orchestra is performing Dvorak's Cello Concerto tonight with Yo-Yo Ma.
Yo-Yo will surely bring bums into the seats!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kontrapunctus

For me, the Rostropovich/Karajan is hard to beat. However, since I now primarily buy SACDs, I tried the Pieter Wispelwey/Ivan Fischer, which has garnered considerable praise, but it just seemed too tepid to me. I just received the Mischa Maisky/Zubin Mehta version on DG--much better! It's more intense and more closely mic'd, which results in greater orchestral detail. Oddly enough, it has not received especially good reviews. To each his own, I suppose.

Brian

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on May 05, 2012, 08:02:42 AM
For me, the Rostropovich/Karajan is hard to beat. However, since I now primarily buy SACDs, I tried the Pieter Wispelwey/Ivan Fischer, which has garnered considerable praise, but it just seemed too tepid to me. I just received the Mischa Maisky/Zubin Mehta version on DG--much better! It's more intense and more closely mic'd, which results in greater orchestral detail. Oddly enough, it has not received especially good reviews. To each his own, I suppose.

If Queyras on harmonia mundi is in SACD, you might want to try that. It's my favorite recording from after the year 2000, although of course I can't guarantee he or anybody can top Rostropovich.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Brian on May 05, 2012, 08:14:42 AM
If Queyras on harmonia mundi is in SACD, you might want to try that. It's my favorite recording from after the year 2000, although of course I can't guarantee he or anybody can top Rostropovich.

Indeed it is...for $270!!!  :o
http://www.amazon.com/Dvorák-Cello-Concerto-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B000B7AGWE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336253532&sr=8-2 (only part of the link turns into a hyperlink for some reason.)

trung224

My favorite version is Rostropovich- Talich. Despite the mediocre sound, there are something special in Talich' interpretation, full of Czech idiomatic spirit, especially in the Adagio movement, where Karajan or Giulini approached like they did with Bruckner symphonies. The Szell-Fournier is quite good, but I think Fournier is so cool and do not really on with this music.

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

snyprrr

Quote from: BorisG on March 15, 2008, 10:07:02 PM
Good, but the Hindemith is even better.

Laserlight's finest hour:

1) 14:39
2) 10:52
3) 11:49

What would be standard timings,... as per J?

Brian

Quote from: snyprrr on May 07, 2012, 08:19:07 AM
Laserlight's finest hour:

1) 14:39
2) 10:52
3) 11:49

What would be standard timings,... as per J?

Scroll up to reply #40.