The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Dvorak's Cello Concerto

<< < (2/23) > >>

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: Mark on March 12, 2008, 02:22:27 PM ---The Fournier recording is also top choice for this work in the recently published, '1001 Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die'. I might get it. Even though I've always loved Du Pre's handling of it.

--- End quote ---

Years ago, I picked up the Du Pre 3-CD set of cello concertos, which I've supplemented w/ other alternate discs of many of these performances, except the Dvorak - BTW, she does this one quite well; but since Dvorak is one of my favorite composers, I must acquire some other interpretations of this wonderful composition - the Fournier may be the best choice (or many others?) - looking forward to additional recommendations - thanks.  :D

val:
Rostropovitch was extraordinary in his first version, with Talich, in 1951. The sound is not ideal, in special regarding the orchestra, but Rostropovitch was never more inspired or intense.

Fournier with his superb eloquence, and Szell, dynamic, are superb.

My third choice would be Tortelier/Sargent.

XB-70 Valkyrie:
Leonard Rose / Ormandy is my favorite by a wide margin.

Sergeant Rock:
My top four. I like Celi and Maazel because of their monumental pacing of the first movement (and Maazel, as he often does, brings out some marvelous brass detail). The Concertgebouw is the star of the Philips disc but it also offers more proof what a great conductor of the concerto repertoire Davis is. I agree wholeheartedly with Val's assessment of Talich/Rostropovich. The cellists range from the histrionic (du Pré) to the cool (Schiff). Fournier/Szell I don't own but I just ordered it from an Amazon seller.

Mark:
Sarge, I'm with you on your assessment of the Celi/Du Pre recording. Sound isn't terrific, though, eh? The Du Pre recording to which I was actually referring earlier in this thread is the one with Barenboim and the CSO on EMI. Much, MUCH more intense playing from her - especially the way she seems to 'dig' deep into the strings at her very first entrance in the first movement. Wonderful stuff! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version