Dvorak's Cello Concerto

Started by rubio, March 12, 2008, 01:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubio

I think I only have one recording of this treasured work, Rostropovich/Karajan (which I like a lot). Then I became aware today of the recording of Fournier/Szell. Fournier is my favourite cellist, so this one is super-tempting. Has anybody here heard it? What do you think of it? And which are your favourite recordings of this work?

And what about Queyras/Belohlavek?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

hornteacher

The Queyras/Belohlavek is fantastic, and the coupling Dumky Trio is also great.  My personal favorite though is here:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=102169

Brian

The Fournier is extraordinary. One of my top five "desert island discs", for sure, from any genre or style - simply extraordinary playing from everyone involved from first note to last. I have Hornteacher's favorite, and it is absolutely superb - with great modern sound and a beautiful Silent Woods, too - but I just can't bring myself to rate it more highly than Pierre Fournier's recording. Few things are quite so beautiful in life...

:)

Mark

The Fournier recording is also top choice for this work in the recently published, '1001 Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die'. I might get it. Even though I've always loved Du Pre's handling of it.

Tyson

Fournier is easily better than both duPre and Rostropovich (and everyone else) in this work.
At a loss for words.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mark on March 12, 2008, 02:22:27 PM
The Fournier recording is also top choice for this work in the recently published, '1001 Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die'. I might get it. Even though I've always loved Du Pre's handling of it.

Years ago, I picked up the Du Pre 3-CD set of cello concertos, which I've supplemented w/ other alternate discs of many of these performances, except the Dvorak - BTW, she does this one quite well; but since Dvorak is one of my favorite composers, I must acquire some other interpretations of this wonderful composition - the Fournier may be the best choice (or many others?) - looking forward to additional recommendations - thanks.  :D

val

Rostropovitch was extraordinary in his first version, with Talich, in 1951. The sound is not ideal, in special regarding the orchestra, but Rostropovitch was never more inspired or intense.

Fournier with his superb eloquence, and Szell, dynamic, are superb.

My third choice would be Tortelier/Sargent.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Leonard Rose / Ormandy is my favorite by a wide margin.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Sergeant Rock

My top four. I like Celi and Maazel because of their monumental pacing of the first movement (and Maazel, as he often does, brings out some marvelous brass detail). The Concertgebouw is the star of the Philips disc but it also offers more proof what a great conductor of the concerto repertoire Davis is. I agree wholeheartedly with Val's assessment of Talich/Rostropovich. The cellists range from the histrionic (du Pré) to the cool (Schiff). Fournier/Szell I don't own but I just ordered it from an Amazon seller.

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mark

Sarge, I'm with you on your assessment of the Celi/Du Pre recording. Sound isn't terrific, though, eh? The Du Pre recording to which I was actually referring earlier in this thread is the one with Barenboim and the CSO on EMI. Much, MUCH more intense playing from her - especially the way she seems to 'dig' deep into the strings at her very first entrance in the first movement. Wonderful stuff! :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mark on March 13, 2008, 08:37:21 AM
Sarge, I'm with you on your assessment of the Celi/Du Pre recording. Sound isn't terrific, though, eh? The Du Pre recording to which I was actually referring earlier in this thread is the one with Barenboim and the CSO on EMI. Much, MUCH more intense playing from her - especially the way she seems to 'dig' deep into the strings at her very first entrance in the first movement. Wonderful stuff! :)

Hey, Mark. The recording's sound is crap and the ochestra often sounds second rate but I don't care...it's Celi and Jackie together!  8)

I have the Barenboim recording too. Agree, great playing...but I still prefer her Celi collaboration.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mark on March 13, 2008, 08:37:21 AM
Much, MUCH more intense playing from her - especially the way she seems to 'dig' deep into the strings at her very first entrance in the first movement. Wonderful stuff! :)

She does make you sit up and take notice!  ;D  The men sound like wimps in comparison.

Sarge

Drasko

There are tons of recordings of this, last one I liked was Nelsova/St.Louis/Susskind, last one I disliked was Piatigorsky/Boston/Munch.

Here is something that might be interesting to some:
http://rapidshare.com/files/28471055/RostropovichSzellDvorak.zip

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Drasko on March 13, 2008, 09:05:50 AM
There are tons of recordings of this, last one I liked was Nelsova/St.Louis/Susskind, last one I disliked was Piatigorsky/Boston/Munch.

Thanks, man

Sarge

Mark

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 13, 2008, 09:00:13 AM
She does make you sit up and take notice!  ;D  The men sound like wimps in comparison.

Sarge

No doubt. ;)

Sergeant Rock

Ah...that WCLV announcer brings back some memories  8)

Sarge

Guido

Leonard Rose with Ormandy. Made me love music.

And I'm going to have to be traditional and go with Rostropovich/Karajan though virtually any recording of this piece by Rostropovich is worthwhile, and now I want to hear the Talich version too!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Keemun

Drasko, thanks for posting that.   :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Mark

For those who've yet to download and listen to this, let me tell you what you're in for: cramped sound, very little depth to the stereo picture, poorly engineered balance between soloist and the string section in particular, and a very noisy audience. Oh, and Slava and Szell on white hot form. You won't want to return to this often. But you will want to hear it at least once. ;)

Cheers, Drasko.