Rachmaninov's Piano Works

Started by Zhiliang, March 12, 2008, 09:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhiliang

Hi, i want to increase my collection of this piece and want some recommendations of great recordings for this piece. I do not mind which whether its the original version or the revised one. I am looking at individual and unqiue performances and the 2nd movement is very important to me. Thanks.

George

Horowitz, Live at Carnegie Hall, 1981 I believe.

It's on RCA, on the Horowitz plays Rachmaninov CD.

Get it here for supercheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Horowitz-Rachmaninoff-Concerto-Vladimir-Pianist/dp/B000003ER1/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205387244&sr=8-7

ragman1970

Quote from: Zhiliang on March 12, 2008, 09:13:15 PM
Hi, i want to increase my collection of this piece and want some recommendations of great recordings for this piece. I do not mind which whether its the original version or the revised one. I am looking at individual and unqiue performances and the 2nd movement is very important to me. Thanks.

Are you lloking for the original version? If yes this one

Drasko

Quote from: ragman1970 on March 13, 2008, 07:29:43 AM
Are you lloking for the original version? If yes this one

Yep, this one! The one that finally made me like the piece.

Sergeant Rock

Revised version here:

"I didn't look for any biographical note about Helene Grimaud before listening to the Sonata No. 2, but after only a few bars my curiosity was roused—even then I found it difficult to switch my attention from the music to reading something about her. This is playing with a masterly authority, an expansive technical command and a real feeling for Rachmaninov's dark harmonic world. Helene Grimaud has the keenest possible ear for finished phrasing, with none of that self-conscious lingering that one often associates with 'romantic' piano playing. She is 15 years old.

The finale of the sonata, which she plays in the revised version, does perhaprs slightly sacrifice overall effect in the interests of textural clarity, but her generous spirit, combined with spine-tingling virtuosity in the coda of the finale, contribute to giving the impression of a live performance."
  Gramophone
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

orbital

If you don't have to own it on CD, and if the links are still around I'd recommend you look out for Joseph Villa's live account from 1991. It is not released on a CD AFAIK.

George

ragman1970

Quote from: BorisG on March 14, 2008, 05:45:54 PM

Sorry, but from my point of view one, no the, most boring recording I have ever hear.
There is, our if present I don't hear, any musicality and emotion in this recording.

If you are wiling to by the 2nd Sonata from a young pianist of our times take the Sudbin recording...

BorisG

Quote from: ragman1970 on March 15, 2008, 09:57:38 AM
Sorry, but from my point of view one, no the, most boring recording I have ever hear.
There is, our if present I don't hear, any musicality and emotion in this recording.

If you are wiling to by the 2nd Sonata from a young pianist of our times take the Sudbin recording...

That's a fruitcake talking, not a discerning listener. ;D

helios

Quote from: BorisG on March 14, 2008, 05:45:54 PM

Unquestionably the worst pianist I've ever heard.  Please avoid this if you have any musical values whatsoever.

BorisG

Quote from: helios on March 16, 2008, 08:15:57 AM
Unquestionably the worst pianist I've ever heard.  Please avoid this if you have any musical values whatsoever.

Not overly surprised. Fruitcake appearances are similar to plane crashes. ;D

ragman1970

Quote from: BorisG on March 15, 2008, 10:09:33 PM

Ah, you are the only REAL listener!

BorisG

Quote from: ragman1970 on March 17, 2008, 09:48:48 AM
Ah, you are the only REAL listener!

Heavens no, the consensus for this fine recording was established eight years ago. It does not matter where you were. ;D

sidoze

Quote from: BorisG on March 17, 2008, 03:33:08 PM
Heavens no, the consensus for this fine recording was established eight years ago. It does not matter where you were. ;D

the consensus by a very small and I'd guess not-so-well-informed British minority. The Kempf is pretty bad IMO, and that's pretty obvious when you compare it to the amazing renditions by Villa (nothing really like that one, even if it sounds Lisztian), Pogorelich and Horowitz. It's a bit like British football stars -- the media are kind to them just because they're British. Don't think I've heard the Kocsis recording.

BorisG

Quote from: sidoze on March 21, 2008, 06:29:34 AM
the consensus by a very small and I'd guess not-so-well-informed British minority. The Kempf is pretty bad IMO, and that's pretty obvious when you compare it to the amazing renditions by Villa (nothing really like that one, even if it sounds Lisztian), Pogorelich and Horowitz. It's a bit like British football stars -- the media are kind to them just because they're British. Don't think I've heard the Kocsis recording.

Villa, the live 1991 amateur recording? Pogorelich, another amateur recording or recital listen? What does this have to do with anything here?

Regarding the more attainable, no one has to guess about what might be, nor make vague damnations. The Internet can easily be searched. The published consensus for this recording's respectability is not small, and wider reaching than the UK. This is pointed out only to show that it is a respected recording.

Differences of opinion are one thing, but boosting personal preferences with vague declarations is quite another . This childish play is far more boring than any recording.

Brian

Quote from: BorisG on March 15, 2008, 10:09:33 PM
He's not a fruitcake - he recommended Sudbin.

For what it's worth, the charming trifles "Liebesleid" and "Liebesfreud" are given absolutely marvelous performances, and the Chopin Variations are an additional demonstration of the first-class artist Sudbin is.

sidoze

Quote from: BorisG on March 21, 2008, 12:54:48 PM
Villa, the live 1991 amateur recording? Pogorelich, another amateur recording or recital listen? What does this have to do with anything here?

Are you joking Boris? Many of the world's best performances were caught by audience members and non-professionals on bootlegs (and many sound very good), if you disregard them then you disregard far too much (and get stuck with things like Kempf). Amateur or not the sound quality on either is fine and the performances are breathtaking. Obviously professional reviewers won't refer to them but obviously that doesn't matter at all.

BorisG

Quote from: sidoze on March 21, 2008, 01:19:40 PM
Are you joking Boris? Many of the world's best performances were caught by audience members and non-professionals on bootlegs (and many sound very good), if you disregard them then you disregard far too much (and get stuck with things like Kempf). Amateur or not the sound quality on either is fine and the performances are breathtaking. Obviously professional reviewers won't refer to them but obviously that doesn't matter at all.

More of the same. You just do not get it.

sidoze

Quote from: BorisG on March 21, 2008, 01:35:05 PM
More of the same. You just do not get it.

sorry but the only one who doesn't get it is the one going on and on and on about Kempf when the consensus here is that he's just not very good (understatement).