[GAME] Guess the 20th century composer

Started by James, March 13, 2008, 05:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I conjured up some clips for people to take a crack at. ...

To play, all you have to do is listen to the small clips, and take a guess who the 20th century composer is for each one, and then reply in this thread with your answers/guesses. It's ok to list the names of the composers or at least their initials so that we know that you do in fact know the answers....rather than saying "i know this one"...if for some reason you don't want to list the name or initials of the composer just send me a PM with your answers. A good suggestion for this game is that everyone who wants to make a guess, doesn't read any of the others until they have listened to the examples and posted.

Clip 1 (37 sec.), Clip 2 (32 sec.), Clip 3 (29 sec.),
Clip 4 (55 sec.), Clip 5 (42 sec.) & Clip 6 (25 sec.)

can be downloaded here: http://www.speedyshare.com/726320971.html

Some of these clips may be VERY easy for some folks here. Please don't spoil the game!  :)
Action is the only truth

Ephemerid

Quote from: James on March 13, 2008, 05:45:07 PM
I conjured up some clips for people to take a crack at. ...

To play, all you have to do is listen to the small clips, and take a guess who the 20th century composer is for each one, and then reply in this thread with your answers/guesses. It's ok to list the names of the composers or at least their initials so that we know that you do in fact know the answers....rather than saying "i know this one"...if for some reason you don't want to list the name or initials of the composer just send me a PM with your answers. A good suggestion for this game is that everyone who wants to make a guess, doesn't read any of the others until they have listened to the examples and posted.

Clip 1 (37 sec.), Clip 2 (32 sec.), Clip 3 (29 sec.),
Clip 4 (55 sec.), Clip 5 (42 sec.) & Clip 6 (25 sec.)

can be downloaded here: http://www.speedyshare.com/726320971.html

Some of these clips may be VERY easy for some folks here. Please don't spoil the game!  :)

I know #5 and I'm fairly certain of #2.  The others are a bit more guesswork (#1 I haven't the faintest, but it sounds cool).  I just sent you a PM for my answers, James.  Looking forward to the answers!  :)

Catison

No. 1 - Birtwistle?
No. 2 - Webern
No. 3 - Shostakovich
No. 4 - Schoenberg
No. 5 - Copland
No. 6 - Ligeti
-Brett

Symphonien

1. Turnage - Trumpet Concerto ?
2. Not really sure... I'll take a wild guess and say Schoenberg.
3. No idea.
4. Sounds like Boulez.
5. Hmm... some neoclassicist? Perhaps early Stravinsky? Or maybe Hindemith?
6. Ligeti - Musica Ricercata (the 2nd piece which only uses 2 notes).

some guy

Well, five is most certainly Stravinsky. Dumbarton Oaks. (So-called neo-classical Stravinsky is not early. It's middle. Dumbarton Oaks is from 1937-38. Early Stravinsky is the so-called Russian stuff. Firebird, Petroushka, Rite of Spring, Les Noces. Stuff like that.)

Catison

Quote from: some guy on March 13, 2008, 11:15:17 PM
Well, five is most certainly Stravinsky. Dumbarton Oaks. (So-called neo-classical Stravinsky is not early. It's middle. Dumbarton Oaks is from 1937-38. Early Stravinsky is the so-called Russian stuff. Firebird, Petroushka, Rite of Spring, Les Noces. Stuff like that.)

Yes! Haha.  As an American, Dumbarton Oaks sounds just like Copland.  But it is really the other way around.
-Brett

Catison

Quote from: Symphonien on March 13, 2008, 10:58:31 PM
6. Ligeti - Musica Ricercata (the 2nd piece which only uses 2 notes).

Actually it uses three.  :P
-Brett

Mark G. Simon

4. is the Schoenberg Suite for piano, op. 25, the fifth movement.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Catison on March 13, 2008, 08:21:48 PM
No. 1 - Birtwistle?
No. 2 - Webern
No. 3 - Shostakovich
No. 4 - Schoenberg
No. 5 - Copland
No. 6 - Ligeti

#2 sounds more like Schoenberg to me, though I can't place the exact piece OTTOMH.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Catison

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on March 14, 2008, 03:46:50 AM
4. is the Schoenberg Suite for piano, op. 25, the fifth movement.

Weird, I picked Schoenberg because I thought it was Op. 33
-Brett

Catison

Quote from: Sforzando on March 14, 2008, 03:58:58 AM
#2 sounds more like Schoenberg to me, though I can't place the exact piece OTTOMH.

No. 2 is Webern's Five Movements for String Quartet.  Its pretty early Webern and sounds a lot like Schoenberg.  At first that is what I thought too.
-Brett

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: Catison on March 14, 2008, 03:59:08 AM
Weird, I picked Schoenberg because I thought it was Op. 33

Now that I've actually listened to the clip and the op. 25 Gigue side by side, I see I was wrong. My guess was a little too "Rasch".

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Catison on March 14, 2008, 04:00:54 AM
No. 2 is Webern's Five Movements for String Quartet.  Its pretty early Webern and sounds a lot like Schoenberg.  At first that is what I thought too.

Oops. If you've tracked it down, I'm sure you're right. But are you equally sure #3 is Shostakovich?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Ephemerid

Quote from: Catison on March 14, 2008, 04:00:54 AM

Yeah, I think you're right-- at first I was thinking Berg's Lyric Suite. 

That first movement from Dumbarton Oaks does have a slight "Coplandesque" kind of sound, true!

greg

1- i don't know
2- Webern op.5 (was just listening to that one in my car yesterday!)
3- Shostakovich- can't remember which SQ this one is
4- Boulez- 1st Piano Sonata?
5- i don't know
6- interesting, i'll have to listen to Musica Ricerata again