[GAME] Round 2 - Guess the 20th century composer

Started by James, March 14, 2008, 04:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Here is the 2nd (& last) batch from the other day, 6 more to try. ...

To play, all you have to do is listen to the small clips, and take a guess who the 20th century composer is for each one, and then reply in this thread with your answers/guesses. It's ok to list the names of the composers or at least their initials so that we know that you do in fact know the answers....rather than saying "i know this one"...if for some reason you don't want to list the name or initials of the composer just send me a PM with your answers. A good suggestion for this game is that everyone who wants to make a guess, doesn't read any of the others until they have listened to the examples and posted.

Clip 7 (42 sec.), Clip 8 (40 sec.), Clip 9 (39 sec.),
Clip 10 (36 sec.), Clip 11 (31 sec.) & Clip 12 (31 sec.)

download clips here: http://www.speedyshare.com/988113125.html

Some of these clips may be VERY easy for some folks here. Please don't spoil the game!  $:)
Action is the only truth

not edward

Since it's so early, I'll submit my answers in rot13 form: to decode, go to www.rot13.com

8: Fvoryvhf friragu flzcubal
9: Pnegre pbapregb sbe bepurfgen
11: Zrffnvra Rg rkfcrpgb erfheerpgvbarz zbeghbehz
12: Eniry cvnab pbapregb va T

I don't know 7 or 10 though.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Ephemerid

#7 sounds fun - Ingolf Dahl?? sounds like the "sequel" to Stravinsky's Ebony Concerto LOL
#8 prokofiev??
#9 Carter??
#10 damn this sounds familiar (I think??)
#11 Messiaen <<<< (this is the only one that I am absolutely certain about)
#12 Shostakovich

:-\

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: James on March 14, 2008, 04:15:48 AM
Please don't spoil the game!  $:)

But what is "spoiling the game"? Are you saying that if people know the answers, they shouldn't say anything?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: just josh on March 14, 2008, 04:41:41 AM

#8 prokofiev??

You will be very surprised by the real answer.
------------

I know definitely, without a doubt, the identity of nos. 8, 9 and 12.

No. 11 could only have been written by one composer, and I can venture a guess at the title based on the instrumentation.

I don't know what no. 7 is, but I like it!

greg

12- Shostakovich

the only one i'm sure about!

10- Saariaho is my best guess

Mark G. Simon

I am identifying the pieces by the composer's dates, and (date of composition)

8. 1865-1957 -- (1924)
9. 1908-present -- (1969)
11. 1908-1992 -- (1964?)
12. 1875-1937 -- (1931)

not edward

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on March 14, 2008, 06:31:37 AM
I am identifying the pieces by the composer's dates, and (date of composition)

8. 1865-1957 -- (1924)
9. 1908-present -- (1969)
11. 1908-1992 -- (1964?)
12. 1875-1937 -- (1931)

Apparently we agree on all four of these. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

some guy

Well, well, well.

Number 12 is not Shostakovich. It's Ravel. The left-handed one, I think, but I can't find my CD of these, so I couldn't check.

Number 8 is not Prokofiev. It's Sibelius. Symphony no. 7.

Number 7 I don't care.

Number 10 is Britten's Variations on a theme of Frank Bridge.

Number 11 is L'Ascension, no?

Number 9 I want to know. Now. No, really. Right now; I mean it!

(If I'm wrong about any of these, will someone please say "well, well, well" right back at me? Otherwise the universe will be imbalanced, doncha know.)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: some guy on March 14, 2008, 10:47:29 AM
Well, well, well.

Number 12 is not Shostakovich. It's Ravel. The left-handed one, I think, but I can't find my CD of these, so I couldn't check.

No, the 2-handed Ravel in G, the finale.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: some guy on March 14, 2008, 10:47:29 AM
Number 9 I want to know. Now. No, really. Right now; I mean it!

The opening of Elliott Carter's Concerto for Orchestra.

And having answered two of them, I'll bow out.

some guy

Thanks Sforzando! I have the Carter. Obviously not something I've listened to in a long time. Apparently I still like it, though.  ;D

And I went down just now to the corner music store to get the Ravel, as apparently I've NEVER had those on CD. Just think!!

greg

Quote from: some guy on March 14, 2008, 03:07:19 PM
Thanks Sforzando! I have the Carter. Obviously not something I've listened to in a long time. Apparently I still like it, though.  ;D
Same here, with both the Carter and Ravel.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: some guy on March 14, 2008, 03:07:19 PM

And I went down just now to the corner music store to get the Ravel, as apparently I've NEVER had those on CD. Just think!!

You actually have a corner music store, SG? I don't have one for miles around (I mean, one that actually has anything I'd want). Carter indeed - an absolutely stupendous piece, one of his half dozen greatest in my opinion.

some guy

I live a couple of blocks from Music Millenium in Portland, OR.

For a small store, it's got a pretty impressive stock. And for the more recent stuff, there's Anthem Records, a short walk away, and a couple of nice stores a bit beyond that. It's pretty good.

Greta

James, thanks for these. I had never heard the Nancarrow or Carter before, what a treat! These go so fast though I didn't have time to find it before the replies were posted.  ;)

This is a fun way to discover some new pieces - I may start a round of Guess the 21st Century Composer as this one is already finished!

Symphonien

8 is Sibelius's 7th Symphony. Other than that, I really have no idea!

EDIT: Ah, I see they've been answered already. Will definitely have to check out the Carter and Messiaen then.