[GAME] Round 3 - Guess the 20th century composer

Started by James, March 16, 2008, 06:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

What the heck, one more round... :-*

To play, all you have to do is listen to the small clips, and take a guess who the 20th century composer is for each one, and then reply in this thread with your answers/guesses. It's ok to list the names of the composers or at least their initials so that we know that you do in fact know the answers....rather than saying "i know this one"...if for some reason you don't want to list the name or initials of the composer just send me a PM with your answers. A good suggestion for this game is that everyone who wants to make a guess, doesn't read any of the others until they have listened to the examples and posted.

Clip 1 (24 sec.), Clip 2 (27 sec.), Clip 3 (39 sec.), Clip 4 (56 sec.)
Clip 5 (32 sec.), Clip 6 (31 sec.), Clip 7 (31 sec.) & Clip 8 (30 sec.)

download clips here: http://www.speedyshare.com/190666781.html

Some of these clips may be VERY easy for some folks here.  :)
Action is the only truth

greg

2- Penderecki Threnody
3- Prokofiev- Romeo and Juliet
4- Bartok- Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
5- Varese- Ionisation
7- Xenakis- Xas (not 100% sure)

lukeottevanger

Possibly I'll get a chance on this set before they're all snaffled up!

edit - no, Greg's got them downloaded quicker than me!

ones he missed -

1 - Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man
6 - I can't hear anything here, but I can with the others, so maybe that old Cage 4'33" isn't such a bad guess here!
8 - Poulenc - Mouvements Perpetuels (no 1)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 16, 2008, 06:18:43 AM
Possibly I'll get a chance on this set before they're all snaffled up!

edit - no, Greg's got them downloaded quicker than me!

ones he missed -

1 - Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man
6 - I can't hear anything here, but I can with the others, so maybe that old Cage 4'33" isn't such a bad guess here!
8 - Poulenc - Mouvements Perpetuels (no 1)

I would say 1 is instead from the Copland 3rd symphony, where he reuses that material.
Of the others, I knew 2-5 and 8, but they're already guessed correctly. No idea on 6 or 7.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

greg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 16, 2008, 06:18:43 AM

it does have audio...... sounds like Anders Hillborg, to me....

Ephemerid

1 - Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man (NOT Symphony No. 3 I think)
2 - Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
3 - I have no idea, but I'm interested!
4 - Bartok??
5 - ??
6 - Cage - Sonatas & Interludes for Prepared Piano (I forget which one, VI I think-- one of my favourites)
7 - I have no idea but it cracks me up LOL
8 - Poulanc??

Ephemerid

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 16, 2008, 06:14:34 AM
5- Varese- Ionisation
OK, I was thinking Varese, but what little I've heard of him has never sounded so rhythmic...

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: just josh on March 16, 2008, 06:40:33 AM
1 - Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man (NOT Symphony No. 3 I think)

On second listen, I think you and Luke are right.

The new erato

Quote from: just josh on March 16, 2008, 06:40:33 AM

3 - I have no idea, but I'm interested!
As already has been stated, it's Romeo & Juliet by Prokofiev; the greatest ballet score ever!

Ephemerid

Quote from: erato on March 16, 2008, 07:05:29 AM
As already has been stated, it's Romeo & Juliet by Prokofiev; the greatest ballet score ever!

:-[  Yet another composer I have barely touched but need to. 

greg

Quote from: erato on March 16, 2008, 07:05:29 AM
well....... 2nd greatest after the Rite of Spring  ;)

some guy

Why just one?

There's no end to how many of these we could do. Any road, here's my answers, before reading the others' answers:

1-Copland. Best I can tell, this is the fourth movement of the third symphony, but it might just be the Fanfare for the Common Man plain and simple. Hard to tell over my little computer speakers, but I'm guessing it's the Fanfare as it appears in the third.

2-_______. I hate when you choose something I know perfectly well, something even that I have. Pffft. But I don't have time to go through every Xenakis I own, only to find out that it's Penderecki or maybe even someone entirely other.

3-Prokofiev, Romeo & Juliet
4-Bartok, Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta
5-Varese, Ionisation
6-Cage, some sonata or interlude or whatever for prepared piano. Not one I've heard before, anyway.
7-_______________-this is one I have, I'm sure....
8-Has a Satie sound to it. But I don't really know Satie all that well, so it could be a number of other people, too, I suppose.

OK. I'm ready to peek at the other answers, now.

Hmmm. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I do not have Threnody on CD.
And Xas, eh? I have that. (Rascher Quartet?) But I can't find it. Not filed under Xenakis, anyway. What else is on that disc??

Symphonien

1. Hmm... not really sure. Perhaps this is Copland's famous Fanfare for the Common Man? (Just a wild guess, I have never heard it...)
2. Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
3. Not really sure... Maybe Prokofiev?
4. Bartok - Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste
5. Varese - Ionisation ?
6. Cage - Piano Sonata No. 5 from the Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano
7. No idea... but certainly quite a striking opening there!
8. No idea.

greg

Quote from: some guy on March 16, 2008, 10:15:05 AM
Hmmm. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I do not have Threnody on CD.
And Xas, eh? I have that. (Rascher Quartet?) But I can't find it. Not filed under Xenakis, anyway. What else is on that disc??
http://www.amazon.com/Xenakis-%C3%89change-Akrata-M%C2%B1moire-Lutoslawski/dp/B000000NZ9

i don't even have the actual CD for Xas, just the track!
so i'm missing Échange, Okho, and In memory of Witold Lutoslawski (plus there's another recording of Akrata- do they really need that many recordings of that work?)  ::)

not edward

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 17, 2008, 05:25:57 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Xenakis-%C3%89change-Akrata-M%C2%B1moire-Lutoslawski/dp/B000000NZ9

i don't even have the actual CD for Xas, just the track!
so i'm missing Échange, Okho, and In memory of Witold Lutoslawski (plus there's another recording of Akrata- do they really need that many recordings of that work?)  ::)
I was a bit late to these, so won't bother posting. However, I'd like to note that Échange is, IMO, one of the best works in IX's late style.

I've even been lucky enough to hear it live. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

greg

Quote from: edward on March 17, 2008, 06:59:52 AM

I've even been lucky enough to hear it live. ;)
wow, how far did you have to travel to hear that one? Antarctica?  ;D

not edward

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on March 17, 2008, 07:01:46 AM
wow, how far did you have to travel to hear that one? Antarctica?  ;D
Actually, it was a 8-stop subway ride to the same venue where I met Elliott Carter the year before. ;)

Toronto can be a nice place to live, despite the snow.....
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Ephemerid

Quote from: James on March 17, 2008, 08:28:32 AM
#1 - Copland's 3rd Symphony

ARGH!!! It was the third symphony after all!  Damn!  LOL

lukeottevanger

To tell the truth - with all this 'is it the Fanfare or the Third Symph' conundrum - personally, I only listend to a chord or two, and then guessed at the former over the latter. That was enough - I really don't have much time for Copland, I'm afraid!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: just josh on March 17, 2008, 08:50:06 AM
ARGH!!! It was the third symphony after all!  Damn!  LOL

Hilarious - I guessed it right and then thought I had it wrong. Do I get partial credit?