[GAME] Round 3 - Guess the 20th century composer

Started by James, March 16, 2008, 06:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 17, 2008, 09:15:45 AM
To tell the truth - with all this 'is it the Fanfare or the Third Symph' conundrum - personally, I only listend to a chord or two, and then guessed at the former over the latter. That was enough - I really don't have much time for Copland, I'm afraid!

Sounds like what I feel about Havergal Brian . . . .
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

lukeottevanger

Ooh, naughty naughty! Of course, I've listened to and played a lot] of Copland, of all his various styles and moods; I've also read around others' views on him in order to try to find a way in, and I've given him many chances, and continue to do so. Naturally, I'm sure the same applies to you and Brian, too, and that you haven't only listened to the Gothic and found it wanting.... :P ;D

I'm afraid there's just not enough to Copland for my own tastes.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 17, 2008, 10:06:06 AM
Ooh, naughty naughty! Of course, I've listened to and played a lot] of Copland, of all his various styles and moods; I've also read around others' views on him in order to try to find a way in, and I've given him many chances, and continue to do so. Naturally, I'm sure the same applies to you and Brian, too, and that you haven't only listened to the Gothic and found it wanting.... :P ;D

Hah! I can't even get through the Gothic. And you want me to hear more!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

lukeottevanger

Wouldn't you recommend someone put off by Mahler 8 (not too hard to imagine!) to listen to another, perhaps smaller and more concise Mahler symphony first before discarding all Mahler? In Brian's case, there are (amongst other things) 31 more symphonies of all shapes and sizes, filling up the 40 or so years after the Gothic was written. Try the short, incredibly concise, highly original, gorgeous sounding, formally clear Brian 8, for instance. It is, in any case, a more typcial, fully realised work...  :)