Symphony "Idiotic"

Started by Saul, March 16, 2008, 06:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephemerid

Some members of the faculty at my music school performed this once (a couple years before I actually went there-- one of my theory professors told me about this) where someone had slipped in playboy centrefolds into the score.  LOL

Sure its a bit of a didactic piece, but one that was well worth doing, making one aware of the possibilities for what music can actually encompass (ALL sound). 

It sort of reminds me of when I spent roughly a year attending Quaker meetings some years ago-- which is roughly one hour of silence-- no singing, no sermon, no praying, just roughly one hour of silence, listening.  --though Cage's jumping off point was Zen, not Quakerism.

bhodges

Great video, thanks for posting it. 

--Bruce

Saul

Sergeant Rock

That was the most boring performance of 4'33'' I've ever heard (or not heard, as the case may be). British audiences are way too polite  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Saul

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 16, 2008, 01:28:59 PM
That was the most boring performance of 4'33'' I've ever heard (or not heard, as the case may be). British audiences are way too polite  ;D

Sarge

The squirrel harmonic progressions, were a blast... ;D

hornteacher

I wanted to play 4'33" on my undergrad recital as my required 20th century work but was not allowed to.  Bit of a double standard there on the part of the faculty.

Saul

Quote from: hornteacher on March 16, 2008, 04:20:12 PM
I wanted to play 4'33" on my undergrad recital as my required 20th century work but was not allowed to.  Bit of a double standard there on the part of the faculty.

Its a good piece to 'perform' on your audition for Juilliard... ;D