Rautavaara's Riverboat

Started by karlhenning, May 01, 2007, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 01, 2022, 06:37:11 AM
Rautavaara could never be accused of having a limited view of the numinous or the ethereal, if Angels and Visitations is anything to go by. There are dark and ominous elements to his view of the angelic that are far more in keeping with the majestic and otherworldly Cherubim and Seraphim of Ezekiel and the Old Testament prophets, than are ever found in the chubby cheeked and emasculated art of some Western expectations. This is the smoke and fire of Sinai, rather than the limp and butterfly-winged comfort of modernity.

Fine music which encapsulates a level of mystery, I think!
Most interesting description Danny! I like the sound of the Old Testament Prophets (also to be found in Bernstein's 'Jeremiah Symphony' Bloch's 'Israel Symphony' and, I would argue. at the end of Hilding Rosenberg's Symphony No.2 'Sinfonia Grave') and I don't know that Rautavaara CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on May 01, 2022, 10:33:20 PM
Most interesting description Danny! I like the sound of the Old Testament Prophets (also to be found in Bernstein's 'Jeremiah Symphony' Bloch's 'Israel Symphony' and, I would argue. at the end of Hilding Rosenberg's Symphony No.2 'Sinfonia Grave') and I don't know that Rautavaara CD.

Noted with interest! I'll revisit each of these. I have a real love for Rosenberg but it has been ages since I listened to the symphonies. I don't know the Bernstein, but the Bloch I also appreciate. Time to go again 🙂

There is an undoubted departure from predictability and ease in Rautavaara's Angels. I appreciate the recognition of mystery and discomfort.

The Naxos performance with Koivula and the RSNO is also decent, I think. His recordings of the Holmboe Chamber Concertos on Dacapo were ust excellent.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Einojuhani Rautavaara
Angel of Dusk
Jean Jacques Kantorow
Tapiola Sinfonietta
BIS

Cross-posted from the listening thread. Ondine have competition for Rautavaara from releases like this, I think. In my opinion, this concerto for double bass and orchestra is very worthwhile. I also like the coupling with #2, because of the sympathy between the pieces.

Rautavaara's view of the angelic consistently leans more toward gravitas and solemnity, than frivolity or flippancy. There is a meditative quality about the work that lends itself to contemplation, and it leads well into the Quasi Grave of the first movement of #2. I know Rautavaara wasn't a man of organised or dogmatic religion, but his exploration of the unearthly in his music is really satisfying.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

relm1

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 05, 2022, 06:43:13 AM
Einojuhani Rautavaara
Angel of Dusk
Jean Jacques Kantorow
Tapiola Sinfonietta
BIS

Cross-posted from the listening thread. Ondine have competition for Rautavaara from releases like this, I think. In my opinion, this concerto for double bass and orchestra is very worthwhile. I also like the coupling with #2, because of the sympathy between the pieces.

Rautavaara's view of the angelic consistently leans more toward gravitas and solemnity, than frivolity or flippancy. There is a meditative quality about the work that lends itself to contemplation, and it leads well into the Quasi Grave of the first movement of #2. I know Rautavaara wasn't a man of organised or dogmatic religion, but his exploration of the unearthly in his music is really satisfying.

Nice!  Will add it to my listening list.

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on May 06, 2022, 04:48:41 AM
Nice!  Will add it to my listening list.

Well worth the time.

Einojuhani Rautavaara
String Quartets 1 & 2
Jean Sibelius Quartet
Ondine

First listen Friday, as I start to think about bringing my dash through Rautavaara to a conclusion. Maybe the Quartets and one more romp through the symphonies (if you can romp through Rautavaara), and then on to something else.

I'm only on the final movement of SQ #1, but how good is this? I have always enjoyed Rautavaara, but listening almost exclusively to him for the last fortnight or so has been outstanding - almost akin to the time I spent last year with the Shostakovich SQs. Immersive listening is definitely a thing.

Tolstoy

relm1

Any thoughts regarding Rautavaara's opera, Rasputin?  Generally, how are his operas?  I have a recording of "The Mine" but haven't heard any other operas by him and think The Mine was an early work from his more experimental (1960's) phase.

mahler10th

Rautavaaras' Symphony 5 'Monologue with Angels'.  The only recorded copy I can get of this is Pommer with Liepzig.  It's a good recording, I like it, but I think there is so much more can be done with it than Pommer gives us.  I have descended unto tearing my garments and gnashing my dentures under a Willow tree at the non-finding of ANY other recording of Rautavaara's 5th AT ALL.  Pommer, it's always the Pommer.  This being GMG, I have to ask - does anyone know of another 5th performance?
What a find that would be.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mahler10th on April 16, 2024, 03:42:53 PMRautavaaras' Symphony 5 'Monologue with Angels'.  The only recorded copy I can get of this is Pommer with Liepzig.  It's a good recording, I like it, but I think there is so much more can be done with it than Pommer gives us.  I have descended unto tearing my garments and gnashing my dentures under a Willow tree at the non-finding of ANY other recording of Rautavaara's 5th AT ALL.  Pommer, it's always the Pommer.  This being GMG, I have to ask - does anyone know of another 5th performance?
What a find that would be.
I'm only finding that one listing.  Perhaps other performances on youtube or elsewhere?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter