Rautavaara's Riverboat

Started by karlhenning, May 01, 2007, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: pencils on July 16, 2013, 08:55:13 AMThrows Symphony 7 into the ring...

For me, the Seventh still does it. But cannot find too much else in his oeuvre to justify his cult status.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on February 06, 2015, 01:37:39 PM
For me, the Seventh still does it. But cannot find to much else in his oeuvre to justify his cult status.

I like No.8 too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

CRCulver

In spite of advanced age and ill health, Rautavaara is still composing. A new 20-minute song cycle on the Rubaiyat was premiered last year and will be performed again in Helsinki next month. Anyone hear it?

71 dB

I bought my first Rautavaara discs, a 3 CD Naxos boxset (7 euros  8) ) containing works from five Naxos releases. This set contains all the works from Naxos 8.554147

Disc one contains:

Symphony No. 3 - Royal Scottish National Orchestra / Hannu lintu
Isle of Bliss - Netherlands Radio Symphony Orchestra / Eri Klas
Apotheosis - New Zealand Symphony Orchestra / Pietari Inkinen

This is the only disc I have listened so far. I quite liked the symphony. Rautavaara's style is "easy", it's almost cinematic music.

I also borrowed from a friend BIS disc of Symphony No. 8 and Violin Concerto* (Lahti SO/Vänskä/*Kuusisto).

I haven't explored too much Finnish composers and post war composers so exploring Rautavaara help that "problem".

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Rons_talking

I've been listening to Rautaavara's symphonies today on RDIO and am very moved by the 8th. While it is not earthshakingly modern in syntax nor style, it has an honest lyricism(I mean not artificially singable in a condescending way) that is expressive and interesting to my ear. I love the way he clusters up the melody from time to time. Many composers who start as serial or experimental try to write "tonal" sounding works that only serve to reveal that they might have been hiding behing modernism and have no gift for harmony. Not the case for Rautaavara.

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on March 29, 2015, 05:41:53 PM
I've been listening to Rautaavara's symphonies today on RDIO and am very moved by the 8th. While it is not earthshakingly modern in syntax nor style, it has an honest lyricism(I mean not artificially singable in a condescending way) that is expressive and interesting to my ear. I love the way he clusters up the melody from time to time. Many composers who start as serial or experimental try to write "tonal" sounding works that only serve to reveal that they might have been hiding behing modernism and have no gift for harmony. Not the case for Rautaavara.

Very interesting point and I agree. I wish that the very opening theme went on a bit longer though. No 8 is my favourite work by Rautavaara and there is a good Naxos disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

In my recent listening to Rautaavara's 2,3,4,5,7,8th Symphonies it's my opinion that 7 and 8 are the most unified and impressive in a list of mostly first-rate modern symphonic works. I have not yet gone through the concertos systematically, but how anyone can fail to hear how well these works amalgamate the 20th century's developments into a non-hackneyed voice with true force and lyricism is beyond me. Beyond that, those declaring it to be "superficial" are possibly using standards for "structural unity" that apply better to post-war generation music than now. I look forward to some more listening...

Moonfish

Rautavaara:
String Quartet No 4       Sirius String Quartet

Rautavaara:
Cantus Arcticus
Symphony No 5

Leipzig Radio SO/Pommer

A first listen to Rautavaara's works. Intriguing! Overall, I am quite pleased with this first encounter. Both the symphonic works as well as the string quartet were works that appealed to me. Interesting use of bird calls in the Cantus Arcticus! There are sections which are a bit too chaotic for my taste (like Stravinsky on drugs - it does sound like the Rite of Spring at times in the 5th symphony) although the slower and more harmonic sections of these works are mesmerizing in my ears.

I thought that the Sirius String Quartet were quite impressive. However, I do not have a comparative frame at this point in time. What are the other quartets like?

Were these three works a decent gateway to Rautavaara or would you recommend other works to ease a listener into his soundscape?

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on April 10, 2015, 05:08:47 PM
Rautavaara:

Rautavaara:
Cantus Arcticus
Symphony No 5

Leipzig Radio SO/Pommer

A first listen to Rautavaara's works. Intriguing! Overall, I am quite pleased with this first encounter. Both the symphonic works as well as the string quartet were works that appealed to me. Interesting use of bird calls in the Cantus Arcticus! There are sections which are a bit too chaotic for my taste (like Stravinsky on drugs - it does sound like the Rite of Spring at times in the 5th symphony) although the slower and more harmonic sections of these works are mesmerizing in my ears.

I thought that the Sirius String Quartet were quite impressive. However, I do not have a comparative frame at this point in time. What are the other quartets like?

Were these three works a decent gateway to Rautavaara or would you recommend other works to ease a listener into his soundscape?

Listen to his Symphony No. 7 "Angel of Light", Peter. Easily his best symphony and the best place to start IMHO.

vandermolen

Quote from: Moonfish on April 10, 2015, 05:08:47 PM
Rautavaara:

Rautavaara:
Cantus Arcticus
Symphony No 5

Leipzig Radio SO/Pommer

I love the photo of Rautavaara! I don't know the string quartets so must investigate. There is a great Naxos CD with Symphony 8 'The Journey' on which I would recommend very strongly in addition to John's recommendation.
[asin]B0013JZ4CQ[/asin]

Moonfish

Thanks John and vandermolen! I will check out the recordings you recommended!  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

;D
Quote from: Moonfish on April 10, 2015, 10:41:44 PM
Thanks John and vandermolen! I will check out the recordings you recommended!  :)

Let us know what you think.

Brian

"When Einojuhani Rautavaara got the new Sharon Bezaly von Bahr's recording of his Flute Concerto, commissioned in 1974 by Robert von Bahr (picture)."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=932288166890049&id=266096413509231

(RvB seems shockingly underdressed to be hugging a Great Composer)

Rautavaara is 87 years old.

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2016, 12:10:45 PM
"When Einojuhani Rautavaara got the new Sharon Bezaly von Bahr's recording of his Flute Concerto, commissioned in 1974 by Robert von Bahr (picture)."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=932288166890049&id=266096413509231

(RvB seems shockingly underdressed to be hugging a Great Composer)

Rautavaara is 87 years old.
Great and very touching photos - thank you for posting them. Von Bahr looks like he's been jogging and happened to come across Rautavaara's house!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2016, 12:10:45 PM

On the wall is a poster of one of the famous Unicorn Tapestries from the Cloisters branch of New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

North Star

Rautavaara died of postoperative complications in Helsinki on Wednesday evening. He was 87 years old.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

CRCulver

Martin Anderson has put up a 1996 interview he did with Rautavaara about the composer's symphonies. I had forgotten that the Symphony No. 4 "Arabescata" was not the original Fourth, just a piece that Rautavaara choose to replace the original Fourth after he was unsatisfied with it. Are any details known about the original Symphony No. 4? Was it a continuation of the Third's combination of a Romantic idiom with twelve-tone serialism or something different? Hopefully a recording or score is preserved somewhere.

nathanb

I had christened myself the #1 Rautavaara fanboy over at TalkClassical, but I do suppose I'll have to earn it here.

snyprrr

Quote from: Christo on February 06, 2015, 01:37:39 PM
For me, the Seventh still does it. But cannot find too much else in his oeuvre to justify his cult status.

Listened to most of 7 yesterday... mmm... errr....yea, it sounds like good film music, but, we've all heard this... had it been written in 1926 I would be a little more impressed. I so prefer Kokkonen...