Popular Music

Started by Steve, May 01, 2007, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many non-classical albums do you own?

Nearly a Library's Worth (500+)
19 (25.7%)
Large Collection (200-500)
11 (14.9%)
Quite a bit (50-200)
11 (14.9%)
Some (1-50)
27 (36.5%)
None
6 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Steve

Quote from: Harry on May 01, 2007, 01:57:40 PM
Danny is in two minds about that I think! :)

One could never presume to understand the workings of you, Harry  :)

Steve

Where on this poll might I find your vote, D Minor?

Harry

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 02:04:21 PM
One could never presume to understand the workings of you, Harry  :)

Well..........ehhh ;D

Harry

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 02:05:23 PM

D minor is pondering about his key I think. :)

BachQ

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2007, 02:05:23 PM

I have around 60 popular CD's, but I rounded down to 50 . . . . . .

Steve

Quote from: D Minor on May 01, 2007, 02:08:38 PM
I have around 60 popular CD's, but I rounded down to 50 . . . . . .

Any favourites?

Benji

Quote from: rubio on May 01, 2007, 01:16:03 PM
I owe about 3000. It includes everything from metal, punk, jazz, world music (one of my favourite genres nowadays together with classical music), country, electronica, pop, psychedelic rock, garage rock, americana, soul, funk, reggae, indie rock, 70s disco, club music+++.

Me too. I like a lot of non-classical music. I'll listen to anything that has some soul put into it, and I can even enjoy some shamelessly cheesy music, mostly because it holds sentimental, fun memories from childhood and my uni days etc. You're as likely to hear Boogie Wonderland coming from my bathroom in the morning as you are whistled excerpts from Prokofiev's 1st symphony.  ;D

Heather Harrison

About half of my large collection is non-classical.  Some of it is popular music from before c. 1970, and a lot of it is "world" music.  "World" music is really a catch-all category of music from (mostly) regions besides the U.S. and western Europe, and it would best be divided into numerous categories, generally related to the region where it originates.  Many cultures have rich classical traditions of their own, and a great deal of complexity can be found in their music.  An obvious example is India, but others include Iran, the Arab countries, Thailand, Indonesia, China, and Japan.  I also like a lot of the pop and folk music from non-western countries.  Perhaps it is the appeal of the exotic, or perhaps I like how much of this music is complex in ways not so often seen in western popular music (i.e. rhythmic complexity).

I have always liked variety, so it is likely that non-classical music will always be a substantial portion of my collection.

Heather

Benji

Quote from: Heather Harrison on May 01, 2007, 02:43:44 PM
Perhaps it is the appeal of the exotic, or perhaps I like how much of this music is complex in ways not so often seen in western popular music (i.e. rhythmic complexity).

I have always liked variety, so it is likely that non-classical music will always be a substantial portion of my collection.

Heather

I wonder if you have the Teldec disc of Ligeti's etudes with short pieces of African Pygmy poly-rhythmic music sandwiched between? It is a revelation. Fantastically complex music, and with no written tradition, it is  mostly improvised. It's a really captivating disc.

Maciek

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 01, 2007, 01:11:18 PM
Is gay. The end...

Actually, I've heard some sad popular music too...

I have about 50 CDs but before I collected CDs the ratio was different (I'd say I had about 200-250 popular music cassettes and 400-500 classical).

Bunny

Jazz is usually listed under pop music and I still have my collection of classic rock from college.  I also love early rock n roll from the fifties (especially from Sun Records) as well as the Motown classics and even some folk.  I have almost every recording by Frank Sinatra and I do have everything done by Billie Holliday and roy Orbison.  I have Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Buddy Rich, Harry James, but haven't been able to find an Eddy Duchin record. Right now I'm expecting a Barbara Cooke cd, so I guess I'm still buying pop music. Btw, I also collect Broadway Musical soundtracks, so yes I have a considerable pop music collection as well.  ;)

Steve

Quote from: Bunny on May 01, 2007, 03:50:36 PM
Jazz is usually listed under pop music and I still have my collection of classic rock from college.  I also love early rock n roll from the fifties (especially from Sun Records) as well as the Motown classics and even some folk.  I have almost every recording by Frank Sinatra and I do have everything done by Billie Holliday and roy Orbison.  I have Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Buddy Rich, Harry James, but haven't been able to find an Eddy Duchin record. Right now I'm expecting a Barbara Cooke cd, so I guess I'm still buying pop music. Btw, I also collect Broadway Musical soundtracks, so yes I have a considerable pop music collection as well.  ;)

Of the little popular music that I do enjoy, Jazz certainly has its merits.  :)

Greta

Most "popular" music I don't buy, but I have tons of jazz. I've always collected jazz as much as classical, though now I've put the jazz on hold and am trying to increase my classical collection. Everything from blues, funk, soul, big band, bop I love it all.  ;D Especially Latin music/Latin jazz. The other large part of my collection is orchestral film music, another genre I equally love.

hornteacher

Count the number of albums by George Harrison, John Lennon, and Bob Dylan, and that's my number.

dtwilbanks

"Jazz is usually listed under pop music..."

???

George

Quote from: hornteacher on May 01, 2007, 05:14:15 PM
Count the number of albums by George Harrison, John Lennon, and Bob Dylan, and that's my number.

8)

The Mad Hatter

I fall into the 'quite a bit' category, but then I fall there for classical as well.

The beginning of my CD collection runs by artist: Argerich, Asian Dub Foundation, Bach, Bartok, The Beatles, Bernstein, David Bowie, Brahms.

Miles Davis once said 'There are two kinds of music: good and bad', and I think it's important to listen to good music, regardless of genre.

Dancing Divertimentian

Lately my enjoyment for pop music has dropped to such a low I can hardly stand to listen to it anymore.

But classical's not on the hook for this downslide.

No, it's jazz.

And principally...jazz drumming!

I've reached the point that I'm so hypnotized by the singing beauty of complex drum patterns/rhythms that I can barely tolerate the monotony of the metronome-like, nondescript, time-beating emptiness of pop beats. 1-2, 1-2, 1-2...

Ugh.

But not limited to the subtle jazz beat, of course! There's nothing like a drummer in full fury throwing off the bedazzling solo. Nor of the creativeness of a drummer keeping 'beat' by way of excursions into the kaleidoscopic.

Sure beats simple time-beating, anyway.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

wintersway

Quote from: Greta on May 01, 2007, 04:14:44 PM
Most "popular" music I don't buy, but I have tons of jazz. I've always collected jazz as much as classical, though now I've put the jazz on hold and am trying to increase my classical collection.

Same here. I have 3000 or so jazz cds\lps in my collection. Have been buying all classical for a couple of months.
"Time is a great teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students". -Berlioz