RE: Respighi's Pines of Rome/The Birds/Fountains of Rome

Started by dave b, March 01, 2008, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

Quote from: Daverz on March 11, 2008, 01:06:16 AM

The first disc that made me completely enjoy Respighi was Lenny's very vivid Pines of Rome and Roman Festivals.  Rather short measure on CD, though.

I agree. Bernstein knew exactly to give these scores energy and tension.
I lheard Feste Romane for the first time in Eugene Goossens LSO performance. He definitely had the measure for this turbulent piece - and the sound is clear. Love his Stravinsky as well - great Symphony in 3 movements!

bhodges

And Peter, you reminded me of that Sargent/London Pines and Fountains recording!  That was the first recording of any kind I ever owned, and I recall it was a superb one.  I haven't gotten around to hearing it again on CD, though.

--Bruce

pjme

:) Yes, it's great to re-discover that kind of recording. I first heard Feste on the radio ( Goossens/LSO), as a teenager. THen I bought the LP ( propably during a trip to London). NOw...i find those Everest Cd's usually very cheaply in 2nd hand shops.

apart from that :: I'm happy with Batiz / Naxos and Ozawa/DGG.
Maazel was ,I think, the first conductor to program the triptych on one evening ( Paris / Orchestre National de France - ca 1980-1985).

But for now ,it's back to Wim Henderickx Raga 1, for percussion and orchestra. lovely!

Peter

david johnson

Quote from: bhodges on March 11, 2008, 09:49:57 AM
Forgot about another good one: Muti and Philadelphia.  The sound may not be quite as good as for Batiz or Maazel, but it's still superb, and one of my favorites of Muti's recordings with that orchestra.

--Bruce

a very good one.  i have it, also.

dj

bhodges

About a year ago, Muti did Feste Romane with the New York Philharmonic, and it was sensational--just a riot of noise and color.  He really has the measure of all three of those works.

--Bruce

FredT

Maazel and Cleveland for the Roman Trilogy. The virtuosity is stunning.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: bhodges on March 10, 2008, 06:18:30 AM
This Maazel/Cleveland recording was apparently highly praised when it first came out in the 1970s, not only for its demonstration-quality sound, but for Maazel's excellent work with the orchestra.

That's true, Bruce.

Other pieces that Maazel recorded in Cleveland, especially large, colorful scores, would benefit from his attention to precision, balance, and texture. His recording of Respighi tone poems is a radiant experience. "There is really no point in making comparisons here," wrote Gramophone magazine. "Maazel's account of Roman Festivals is something of a revelation--by far the finest recording this work has ever received...the superb orchestral virtuosity is marvellously controlled here by Maazel."
                                                                                     Donald Rosenberg, The Cleveland Orchestra Story
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

tjguitar

I have the Maazel/Pittsburgh Symphony on Sony with Pines, Foutnains and Roman Festivals. i see nobody's mentioned this recording.

I heard Pines performed by the Pacific Symphony and wanted to hear the rest, and this is what my mom found at borders, lol.  I think it was fairly cheap, though.

turbano1

I don't see one mention of maybe one of the greatest of all interpretations, that of Toscanini. I think we are so enamored with sounds we forget the golden age of conducting. He gave the American premier in '26 with the NY Philharmonic. No histrionics just lets the music speak for itself.