Stravinsky: Rite of Spring

Started by MDL, March 19, 2008, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on October 05, 2012, 07:58:08 AM
I've noticed that I going off Topic on EVERY SINGLE THREAD I'm Posting on. Aye. ;) No professionalism here. ::)

Since you're already completely off topic here, a little further off won't matter. So what did happen on the way to Ruddfuckers? I really want to know (and I really can't help the spoonerism; it's the only way my brain will process that name  ;D ).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: snyprrr on October 04, 2012, 07:54:32 AMmaybe the first Dorati (Minn.)

You mean the first (mono) Minn. Dorati?

I'd like to hear the Maazel, but Telarc recordings are nixed when there is a bass drum in the orchestra.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on October 05, 2012, 08:20:00 AM

I'd like to hear the Maazel, but Telarc recordings are nixed when there is a bass drum in the orchestra.

As snyprrr noted previously, the (in-)famous Telarc bass drum is rather tepid in this recording.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 05, 2012, 08:52:07 AM
As snyprrr noted previously, the (in-)famous Telarc bass drum is rather tepid in this recording.

Sarge

I was assuming that was because his woofers were blown out in the first bar.   :D

brunumb

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on October 05, 2012, 08:20:00 AM

Yea, no, the bass drum was NOT the terror I was lead to believe. Know that I DID turn the volume down just in case, but then turned it up again.

snyprrr

Quote from: brunumb on October 05, 2012, 04:31:44 PM
This should keep devotees busy for a while  :o

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4783729

Haha, that's hilarious! Break out the crack pipe, haha

snyprrr

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 05, 2012, 08:13:31 AM
Since you're already completely off topic here, a little further off won't matter. So what did happen on the way to Ruddfuckers? I really want to know (and I really can't help the spoonerism; it's the only way my brain will process that name  ;D ).

Sarge

How's the '58?

Khazidhea

I was wanting to get Rite of Spring as a gift for someone, but seeing dozens of names/orchestras/versions etc in this thread got me a bit lost. From what I've seen I think I'll go with Boulez and the Cleveland Orchestra, but out of these versions which would be recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Boulez-Edition-Stravinsky-Petrouchka/dp/B000002A2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352702750&sr=8-1&keywords=074646410929
or

http://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-The-Rite-Spring-Firebird/dp/B00006L71P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352702613&sr=8-1&keywords=0028947174127

or some other version? I'll probably be using ebay, not Amazon, just thought those links would be more permanent.

xochitl

i never warmed to boulez' DG recording

well, maybe 'warmed' is the wrong word talking about a boulez performance, but you get my point

Scarpia

Quote from: Khazidhea on November 11, 2012, 10:03:30 PM
I was wanting to get Rite of Spring as a gift for someone, but seeing dozens of names/orchestras/versions etc in this thread got me a bit lost. From what I've seen I think I'll go with Boulez and the Cleveland Orchestra, but out of these versions which would be recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Boulez-Edition-Stravinsky-Petrouchka/dp/B000002A2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352702750&sr=8-1&keywords=074646410929
or

http://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-The-Rite-Spring-Firebird/dp/B00006L71P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352702613&sr=8-1&keywords=0028947174127

or some other version? I'll probably be using ebay, not Amazon, just thought those links would be more permanent.

The old Columbia/Sony Boulez/Cleveland rite is perhaps my favorite.  There's an old Mehta/LA Phil which never gets mentioned, but which I like a lot.

Sean

This recording from the early 60s is very much one of the most extraordinary I've ever heard, totally in the zone, blood on the wall like I'm going to absolutely tear your head off music making. You must hear this, it's totally colossal.

Sean

I guess this should be in the Great reviews board.

flyingdutchman

Well, sean, you could tell us where to get it.

Sean

CDAccord ACD115, supplied by Naxos.

This is the centre of the universe, make no mistake.

Sean

May 29th just gone was of course one hundred years since the first performance, under Monteux.

elotito

I'm trying to decide between Levi and Litton. Both seem to have very good reviews and great sound from the samples I've heard.

xochitl

i love telarc but the Litton slays both in sound and performance.  probably my new reference along with salonen/LA.

speaking of reference-quality and slaying: i just heard the live Zander/boston phil and i was literally in shock by the end of the danse sacrale. hoooly crap!  especially after getting thru the much anticipated Rattle/BPO that actually made me sad.  im gonna have to go back to the Zander and see if it's truly a 'great performance' after the shock wears off, but for now im still wearing a huge smile.

snyprrr

NOBODY?? has Posted that the '58 Bernstein is NOW AVAILABLE??? >:D

Come ON, people!!! ::)

Well, I guess it's no longer a pipe dream... so, when will we get it?

Sarge??

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on July 16, 2013, 06:45:12 AM
NOBODY?? has Posted that the '58 Bernstein is NOW AVAILABLE??? >:D

Come ON, people!!! ::)

Well, I guess it's no longer a pipe dream... so, when will we get it?

Sarge??

I posted about it recently on the WAYLT thread. Where were you? $:)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach