EXPRESSIONISM

Started by bach_ko, March 20, 2008, 08:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

few questions for expressionism

1 (50%)
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

bach_ko

hi everyone... I need help again~!  i'm currently taking advanced musicology class in conservatory now. I've chosen expressionism as my presentation topic. here are the topics...(and i hv came out with my own questions...) i need your opinions and views about all these before i start. thanks for that

1. Expressionism in Painting
-How does Expressionism relate to French Fauvism?
-Later, where are the main centres of German Expressionist painting?
-Which painters are associated with these centres?
-What is the 'aesthetic' of Cerman expressionism?
-What are the 'characteristics of German expressionism?
-How do aesthetic and characteristic compare with that of Fauvism?
-Wat is Abstract Expressionism?
-Which painters are regarded as Abstract Expressionists?
-What aspects of Expressionist painting are present in Abstract Expressionism?

2. Expressionism in the music of SChoenberg
-What works by Schoenberg are usually considered to be Expressionist?
-What are some of the principal musical characterisitcs of Schoenberg's expressionist style?
-What are some of the principal technical features of that style?
-What are the features of Schoenberg's Expressionism aesthetic?
-Why did Schoenberg consider the move to Atonality to be historically inevitable and to what extend to do you think he was correct?
-How does Schoenberg's early expressionist music relate to events in the composers personal life?
-How does Schoenberg's Expressionist music relate to the psychoanalytical work of Freud?
-Do features of Schoenberg's expressionist style continue with his later serial pieces? if so how?
-Can you illustrate your answers by reference to specific pieces by SChoenberg?

3. Expressionism and Psychoanalysis
-What is Psychoanalysis and how is usually thought of as its inventor?
-What are the essential features of Psychoanalysis and how does it work?
-What are the points of contact between Psychoanalysis and Expressionist music especially SChoenberg's?
-What are the points of contact between psychoanalysis and Expressionist painting?

4. Expressionism in the music of Berg and Stravinsky
-Which of Berg's/Stravinsky's works are usually considered to be Expressionist?
-What are the musical characteristic of Berg's Stravinsky's Expressionist music?
-What are the technical features of Berg's/Stravinsky's Expressionist music?
-HOw does Berg's/Stravinsky's Expressionist music differe to that by Schoenberg?

5. Expressionism in the music of the second half of the 20th century?
-Are composers of the second half of the 20th century still writing expressionist music?
-Why should this be so since the origins of Expressionism are associated with a particular time and place in European history?
-Who are the composers and what are the pieces that can be described as Epressionist and why?
-How does these recent manifestations relate to earlier Expressionist music in terms of characterisitcs, technical means and aesthetic?

pjme

dear Bach Ko,

I'm convinced some of the fellow posters here at GMG will try to help you. But I'm sure you need first to go to the library.( don't trust Wikipedia on all points!)
Expressionism has been very well studied. You should be able to do a thorough research - come back later ..for some finetuning.

Good luck!

Peter

DavidW

What do you mean?  What opinions?  Do you want help choosing your topic?  That should depend mostly on what you're interested in.  If you're not sure what you might be interested in, you still need to provide more structure to your questions to elicit the kind of response that would make it easier for you to reach a decision.

Topaz

Quote from: bach_ko on March 20, 2008, 08:36:24 PM
hi everyone... I need help again~!  i'm currently taking advanced musicology class in conservatory now. I've chosen expressionism as my presentation topic. here are the topics...(and i hv came out with my own questions...) i need your opinions and views about all these before i start. thanks for that

No problem. You'll find all the answers to your questions in the following Rupert Bear Annual for 1959: 

Just be careful not to read too much at a time as it gets quite complex.  We have experts here who can help translate difficult passages. 

Bonehelm

No one's doing your homework for you.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: bach_ko on March 20, 2008, 08:36:24 PM
-Why did Schoenberg consider the move to Atonality to be historically inevitable and to what extend to do you think he was correct?

He wasn't.  ;D

Haffner

One could see atonaliy as being historically inevitable.One could also see the further and further descent into the realm of novelty music these days as similarly inevitable. There could be recuurent prerequisites seen throughout history, in different fields.