What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

facehugger

i'm on t s eliot 'four quartets'. and my god it's amazing. i suspect i'm going to be here for a while. i adore that he doesn't give up his secrets easily, i can endlessly reread him

Mozart

It's difficult, I spend a day on just 1 proof.

The Mad Hatter

I'm not reading anything at the moment, because the last few books I picked up failed to hold my interest...

I did just read, however, Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell, by Suzanna Clarke, which I frankly thought was amazing. Written in the style of a Victorian novelist, it's by turns a fantasy, fairy tale, comedy, drama and romance, and is (to my great joy) the kind of story that can only be told by a book.

Harvested Sorrow

I just finished The Idiot a few days ago and Freethinkers a few days before that.  Both were excellent.  I also read Lovcraft's The Colour out of Space.  Again, excellent, and very very chilling.  I'm now going to be starting on Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita (translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky) and Oren's Power, Faith and Fantasy and will be restarting on first volume of Nicholas Boyle's Goethe biography.

toro913

John Irving's The World According to Garp and Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth, both are good books so far, but im biased towards Irving.

George

I'm reading the memoirs of David Dubal about Vladimir Horowitz.

It's called "Evenings With Horowitz."

Luckily they just stick to the music. 

...and yes, it's great!

bwv 1080

Alternating between Ron Chernow's amazing biography of Alexander Hamilton and rereading (selectively) Shelby Foote's Civil War History

Bogey

Quote from: bwv 1080 on April 08, 2007, 06:16:37 PM
Alternating between Ron Chernow's amazing biography of Alexander Hamilton and rereading (selectively) Shelby Foote's Civil War History
[/b]

Which part are you re-reading?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: bwv 1080 on April 08, 2007, 06:16:37 PM

Just returned from a trip to Richmond, VA - great place for Civil War history (as you likely already know) - the famous 'ruins' of the Tredegar Iron Works is now the 'Visitor's Center' for the Richmond battlefields (includes both the '62 & '64 campaigns in the area); there is also a new 'commercial' exhibit museum that is quite good.  Also, just finished Gary Gallagher's superb lecture series (on DVD) from the Teaching Company - outstanding.  Dave  :D

Varg

Lucrece "De La Nature"

I cant give you an english/latin equivalent to the author's name, nor to the title; i cant really speak english, and i know nothing about latin. Those of you who are familiar with antique Greek/Roman philosophy probably know who he is/was. Maybe Lucrecius "Of Nature"?!!

I like it. He has a very poetic, deep and elegant way of speaking about Nature.

Those ancient spirits! ::)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on April 08, 2007, 06:38:26 PM
Just returned from a trip to Richmond, VA - great place for Civil War history (as you likely already know) - the famous 'ruins' of the Tredegar Iron Works is now the 'Visitor's Center' for the Richmond battlefields (includes both the '62 & '64 campaigns in the area); there is also a new 'commercial' exhibit museum that is quite good.  Also, just finished Gary Gallagher's superb lecture series (on DVD) from the Teaching Company - outstanding.  Dave  :D

Gary Gallagher's course looks outstanding Dave....did you have to pay the $129 for the dvds?  Have you read the Foote material that BWV was discussing?  It is absolutely the best overview of the American Civil War I have ever read.  Even blew away Bruce Catton's overviews IMHO.  The opening of Foote's third volume may in fact be the best nonfiction writing I have ever come across.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

I am in a very low-key re-reading of Crime & Punishment.  Although, on one hand, I am finding it brilliantly written, and I could simply stay up all night and finish it off . . . I am allowing it to breathe, and I do savor it.

bwv 1080

Quote from: Bill on April 08, 2007, 06:26:52 PM
[/b]

Which part are you re-reading?

Focusing on the major campaigns, skipping the minor ones and Northern politics (I just read Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals)

bwv 1080

Also just began Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which I was suprised to see was on Oprah's book club.  Probably the first book in the club where cannibalism is prevalent :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 08, 2007, 07:06:47 PM
Gary Gallagher's course looks outstanding Dave....did you have to pay the $129 for the dvds?  Have you read the Foote material that BWV was discussing?  It is absolutely the best overview of the American Civil War I have ever read.  Even blew away Bruce Catton's overviews IMHO.  The opening of Foote's third volume may in fact be the best nonfiction writing I have ever come across.

Bill - good morn to you; yes, I read the Foote volumes many years ago (no longer have them, but probably should buy them again for a re-read; he was just an outstanding 'story teller' - love him on the Ken Burn's series on the Civil War, which would be my recommendation for a 'video' set to those just getting into this period of American History).

The Foote series may be somewhat 'daunting' for those wanting an introduction to the American Civil War; although innumerable books exist on this subject (and numerous sub-topic), my 'one-volume' recommendation would be Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson (published in 1988) - winner of the Pulitzer Prize and now an inexpensive paperback.

Concerning the Gary Gallagher DVD set, I did pay the $129 (which is their sale price for the 8 DVDs - 24 hrs of lectures in total, so takes a while); I did have a CD set in the past but sent it to my father; the DVDs are much more engrossing - Gallagher is superb in this material and the addition of photos & battle maps as visuals is more enjoyable.  Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: bwv 1080 on April 09, 2007, 06:21:10 AM
Focusing on the major campaigns, skipping the minor ones and Northern politics (I just read Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals)

Just started it....again.  Was going to read it some time ago, but got sidetracked with other reading.  However picked it up again and just finished Chapter 1 last night.  A good read so far....I am especially fascinated with the portrayals of Seward and Chase so far.

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on April 09, 2007, 06:42:18 AM
Bill - good morn to you; yes, I read the Foote volumes many years ago (no longer have them, but probably should buy them again for a re-read; he was just an outstanding 'story teller' - love him on the Ken Burn's series on the Civil War, which would be my recommendation for a 'video' set to those just getting into this period of American History).

The Foote series may be somewhat 'daunting' for those wanting an introduction to the American Civil War; although innumerable books exist on this subject (and numerous sub-topic), my 'one-volume' recommendation would be Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson (published in 1988) - winner of the Pulitzer Prize and now an inexpensive paperback.

Concerning the Gary Gallagher DVD set, I did pay the $129 (which is their sale price for the 8 DVDs - 24 hrs of lectures in total, so takes a while); I did have a CD set in the past but sent it to my father; the DVDs are much more engrossing - Gallagher is superb in this material and the addition of photos & battle maps as visuals is more enjoyable.  Dave  :)

Dave,
Thanks for the info.  By the way, the Foote series in hardback is on sale at Amazon.  I may replace my paperbacks with them.

uffeviking

Of course it's good, otherwise I would not have read it a few minutes ago. And it's good because it's not about War, but Peace!

It's Allen Ginsberg's Howl.

This afternoon I spent less than hour watching my lasted DVD purchase: An Elegy for Allen Ginsberg and the next logical step was to reread his 'Howl', prominently mentioned and intelligently discussed by William F. Buckley, Philip Glass and many other of his friends.

karlhenning

Quote from: uffeviking on April 09, 2007, 03:16:51 PM
Of course it's good, otherwise I would not have read it a few minutes ago. And it's good because it's not about War, but Peace!

It's Allen Ginsberg's Howl.

Oh, what you want now, Lis, is to listen to The Fugs  :D

uffeviking

Quote from: karlhenning on April 09, 2007, 03:19:51 PM
Oh, what you want now, Lis, is to listen to The Fugs  :D

Who are they? The Fuggers? Their family started in the 16th century and still some of them around, but I didn't know they were in the recording business!  ;D