Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 3318313 times)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #33380 on: August 11, 2022, 07:26:13 AM »
Last night, Susan continued w/ her interest in cop/detective films but wanted color this time -  ::)   My pick:

In the Heat of the Night (1967) - a favorite of mine w/ music by Quincy Jones and Ray Charles doing the theme song - the Criterion BD in my collection was rated 5*/5* for both audio and visuals HERE, and looked spectacular on my 4K HDTV (which usually 'upscales' blu-rays).  Dave :)

In the Heat of the Night is an American mystery drama film directed by Norman Jewison. It tells the story of Virgil Tibbs, a Black police detective from Philadelphia, who becomes involved in a murder investigation in a small town in Mississippi. It stars Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger; the screenplay was written by Stirling Silliphant. At the 40th Academy Awards the film was nominated for seven Oscars, winning five including Best Picture and Best Actor for Steiger. (Source)

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #33381 on: August 11, 2022, 02:10:08 PM »
Hey VS - believe the Star Wars Franchise is at IX (as added above); there appears to be a X in pre-production (which would bring the saga duration to nearly 50 years - wow!) - see quote/link - for myself, I own the original trilogy (IV-VI) on BD, and earlier this year streamed the same ones as 4Ks on Disney+ (really looked great!) - now, I've streamed all of the remainder but have purchased none (assume I could stream on Disney) - but if memory recalls, I must say that the The Force Awakens is a favorite in that non-original bunch.  :)  Dave

I didn't know there was a 10th on the way Dave, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If addicted to that universe, between the big screen and small, one could really be over-saturated, I think.

VS
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #33382 on: August 12, 2022, 09:20:00 AM »
SW: The Last Jedi (2017)
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fischer, Benicio del Toro

I have been enjoying these. The girls really like all of the droid and creature humor.

VS

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #33383 on: August 12, 2022, 10:06:35 AM »
The Killers (1946) w/ Lancaster in his film debut and a ravishingly young Ava Gardner - synopsis below, much more at the link - if you're into 'film noir' and want to see two future great actors in early roles, then highly recommended!  Dave :)

The Killers is an American film noir starring Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, and Sam Levene. Based on the 1927 short story of the same name by Ernest Hemingway; it focuses on an insurance detective's investigation into the execution by two professional killers of a former boxer who was unresistant to his own murder. Directed by Robert Siodmak, it featured an uncredited John Huston and Richard Brooks co-writing the screenplay, which was credited to Anthony Veiller. On release, The Killers was a critical success, earning four Academy Award nominations, including for Best Director and Best Film Editing. Hemingway, who was habitually disgusted with how Hollywood distorted his thematic intentions, was an open admirer of the film. (Source)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #33384 on: August 13, 2022, 11:45:09 PM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #33385 on: August 14, 2022, 02:02:30 AM »

Ah, there's a new Terence Davies film I was unaware of. And it's about Sigfried Sassoon? what did you think of It?

His The Long Day Closes is, I think, one of the best films ever.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #33386 on: August 14, 2022, 06:14:34 AM »

The Hateful Eight in its serialized, extended version.  I watched this once before, in its roadshow version, projected in 70 mm Panavision on the only local screen capable of showing the movie in that format.  That presentation helped the movie because the imagery was less detailed and obviously much vaster than its digitally mastered, downsized version.  On the high res small screen, Minnie's Haberdashery looks like a TV studio set from the 50s, though in color.  The exterior shots still look good, but a lot of the impact of the movie is lost in the downsizing.  The movie also does not gain from the upsizing of content.  I can't remember every detail of the viewing experience from seven years ago, but the current version, with a bit more exposition, merely seems a bit longer overall.  Some of the dialogue is sharp and compelling, but some also sounds anachronistic to the point of diversion.  One always expects gratuitous violence in a Tarantino movie, and this has it, but it doesn't really help matters.  The movie has not held up well.  It's one of Tarantino's lesser efforts. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #33387 on: August 14, 2022, 06:41:38 AM »
Last few nights, two very different films, i.e. a comedy about an Australian Tarzan and a chilling film noir:

Crocodile Dundee (1986) - short summary below staring Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski - I've watched and enjoyed No. 2, but No. 3 to complete a trilogy was poor IIRC but would need to watch again.  The first one is highly recommended for the many laughs!

The Killing (1956) - synopsis below; many actors in an ensemble cast; Stanley Kubrick, director - guess the ending's moral is 'crime doesn't pay' -  :D 8)  Dave

Crocodile Dundee is an action comedy film set in the Australian Outback and in New York City. It stars Paul Hogan as the weathered Mick Dundee, and Linda Kozlowski as reporter Sue Charlton. Inspired by the true-life exploits of Rod Ansell, the film was made on a budget of under $10 million as a deliberate attempt to make a commercial Australian film that would appeal to a mainstream American audience, but proved to be a worldwide phenomenon. (Source)

The Killing is an American film noir directed by Stanley Kubrick and produced by James B. Harris. It was written by Kubrick and Jim Thompson and based on the novel Clean Break by Lionel White. The drama stars Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray, and Vince Edwards, and features Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook Jr., Jay C. Flippen and Timothy Carey. (Source)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #33388 on: August 14, 2022, 09:44:36 AM »
Another lesser-known Buñuel, Cela s’appelle l’aurore (“This is Called Dawn”).

This movie from 1954 is Buñuel’s first French film since his departure for the US and then Mexico at the end of the Spanish Civil War. It’s a love story set in a very backward Corsican town, but everything is tinged with strong social critique. Some of the cinematography is simply stunning, and as usual Lucia Bosé’s elusive beauty is a great bonus.

The title is taken from a line of Jean Giraudoux’s play Électre.
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« …tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #33389 on: August 14, 2022, 01:26:43 PM »
Crocodile Dundee (1986) - short summary below staring Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski - I've watched and enjoyed No. 2, but No. 3 to complete a trilogy was poor IIRC but would need to watch again.  The first one is highly recommended for the many laughs!

Yes, Dave, 3 was not good, other than to see what Paul Hogan was up to.

This past weekend, I finished up the most recent SW trilogy with:

SW: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac
Carrie Fischer, Billy Dee Williams, Ian McDiarmid

VS

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #33390 on: Today at 01:17:24 AM »
Mothering Sunday:

This is a two track [perhaps, specifically, a three track at a push] then and now film about a young woman in service in a big house in 1924. It is quite well done and oftentimes quite atmospheric. It ploughs a good furrow between sentimentality and sensationalism. It was a quietly studied film and I enjoyed it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline pjme

• Veteran member
« Reply #33391 on: Today at 01:53:36 AM »

I've seen several films by Ozon. I liked most of them (Huit femmes, Ricky, Potiche, Frantz...) and this (gay) free adaptation of Fassbinder's Petra von Kant is no exception. It is a claustrophobic melodrama of impossible love, full of histrionics, brutal humor and bitter tears.....it is all very theatrical and the set (basically one large room) feels like a prison...Excellent!