What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 14, 2024, 01:08:27 PMI started watching it last night--quite a shift from the usual buddy system police procedural. I enjoyed (if that's the right word!) the first episode--Martin Freeman is such a good actor.

Hope you enjoy it, the further I got into that series the more I was knocked out by it. And yes, I had no idea Freeman had that in him until now.

SimonNZ

Pohjolas Daughter

Just started watching this one -- and yes, it's a hard one to watch.

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 08:20:59 PMJust started watching this one -- and yes, it's a hard one to watch.

My sister read it with her Library Book Club, and found it a rough go. If I understand/recall aright from our @Cato, the book is a fictionalization, and I cannot help feeling that the facts of the extermination camps are sufficiently dramatic of themselves. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 16, 2024, 05:42:17 AMMy sister read it with her Library Book Club, and found it a rough go. If I understand/recall aright from our @Cato, the book is a fictionalization, and I cannot help feeling that the facts of the extermination camps are sufficiently dramatic of themselves.

True!

Mrs. Cato
and I listened to the "audio-book."  Here is an excerpt of my thoughts on the book:

"...Joseph Mengele appears as a cartoonish villain, as do the commandant and another character who helps to run things.

One thing learned from the verbatim transcripts of Nazi meetings and the writings of Albert Speer is the great hum-drum mediocrity of Nazi bureaucrats and officers.  There was no Colin-Clive mania in them, nor any smooth, James-Mason villainy, which is what you find in this novel.  Mengele almost curls his moustache in this book!

Plus, there are several anachronisms and downright mistakes: in one scene, in 1943, a small American reconnaissance airplane buzzes Auschwitz!  No, that did not and could not have happened!  Where would or could it have been based?  And why would Americans want reconnaissance of eastern Poland?!  Worse, when the main character makes it to Vienna in 1945, he describes it as being something from a "John Le Carre' novel."

John le Carre's first book came out in 1961: he was a teenager during World War II !

So it was interesting from the point of view of "how did this get published" !

Anyway, it could make a decent movie, following Alfred Hitchcock's rule that mediocre books can be improved for the big screen.

So, perhaps Hitchcock's rule is being proven correct!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 16, 2024, 05:42:17 AMMy sister read it with her Library Book Club, and found it a rough go. If I understand/recall aright from our @Cato, the book is a fictionalization, and I cannot help feeling that the facts of the extermination camps are sufficiently dramatic of themselves.
I watched about half of the first episode last night then decided that I wasn't in the right mood for it.  Will see how long I last.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter