Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: ultralinear on March 09, 2024, 08:44:56 AMYes I saw them play that set around the same time, including a 20-minute Interstellar Overdrive as an encore. This may not have been their original intention, however when they came out for the 2nd encore, some guy in the audience started shouting "INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE! INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE!"  - over and over, very loud - clearly wasn't going to stop - until in the end Roger Waters shrugged, and shouted back "WELL IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT...!" ;D

Apparently Tangerine Dream used to play that nearly every night in the late 60s. Which I can well imagine having listened to Electronic Meditation 8) .

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 09, 2024, 06:25:09 AMNo, there is no direct connection with Schubert's cycle. Maybe the mood is similar, melancholy and despair.
I thought that by looking at the titles that it might be about a relationship maybe forming and then dissolving and perhaps a person looking back.  Then again, I didn't listen to much of it.

Do you know why he named the album that?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 09, 2024, 11:55:58 AMI thought that by looking at the titles that it might be about a relationship maybe forming and then dissolving and perhaps a person looking back.  Then again, I didn't listen to much of it.

Do you know why he named the album that?

PD

No idea :)

SimonNZ

drogulus

In 1970 I went to see the Tony Williams Lifetime in Portchester, N.Y in a small theater. I was baffled by them since my larval concept of fusion was Larry Coryell.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Rush: The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987

Good anthology for folks like me, who like their hits but don't feel like digging into the individual albums. 80 minutes of proggy goodness!
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Tool: Lateralus, The Weeknd: Starboy, Billie Eilish: When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 19, 2024, 06:52:39 AMI still remember my excitement on seeing Discipline in the record store. "They're back!"

Going back to Discipline for a moment. Listening to the title tune, I thought: "This would make a great keyboard piece." Turns out I wasn't alone in thinking this; I got on YouTube and found:

But hey, that wasn't all. There's a great version of this for percussion too:

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

DavidW

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Opens with a superb cover of Richard and Linda Thompson's "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" and includes an equally fine version of "Barbara's Song from Threepenny Opera. And I was gladdened to hear her do Kate Bush's "The Kick Inside".

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 23, 2024, 01:30:43 PM

Opens with a superb cover of Richard and Linda Thompson's "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" and includes an equally fine version of "Barbara's Song from Threepenny Opera. And I was gladdened to hear her do Kate Bush's "The Kick Inside".
I have not heard of her before, but it sounds like she might be right up my alley!  Is this a fairly recent album?  And does she play by herself or has a band?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

For those on phones that it is The Jesus and Mary Chain Glasgow Eyes.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 26, 2024, 03:30:22 AMI have not heard of her before, but it sounds like she might be right up my alley!  Is this a fairly recent album?  And does she play by herself or has a band?

PD

This is her second album from 1978 - the same year as Kate Bush's debut, from which she covers. There's also a Kate and Anna McGarrigle sone which would also have been a recent release, and interesting choices of songs by Sandy Denny and John Lennon.

Its with a band, but with multiple guest musicians on each track it has a wide variety of band sound.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 26, 2024, 02:35:20 PMThis is her second album from 1978 - the same year as Kate Bush's debut, from which she covers. There's also a Kate and Anna McGarrigle song which would also have been a recent release, and interesting choices of songs by Sandy Denny and John Lennon.

Its with a band, but with multiple guest musicians on each track it has a wide variety of band sound.
Thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Listening to the first CD from that 50th anniversary boxed set of the Beatles' Abbey Road (which was remastered by Giles Martin).  Sounds great to me though I don't have a CD of the original A.R. to compare it to.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

hopefullytrusting

Auroa's newest: Some Type of Skin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMfQoZUrn4M

This might be my favorite song of hers - she is, I feel, a seeming embodiment of freedom, and her voice is out of this world (superb control).

Followed by maybe the perfect album to represent the alternative/grunge movement: Pearl Jam's Ten:

An album, back then, you could have recorded off the radio, as all these tracks were played with great consistency.