Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2586504 times)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #30260 on: July 02, 2020, 08:20:40 AM »

I managed to acquire a DVD of The Bofors Gun, an old favorite. I scoured sites all over and found it in Canada.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30261 on: July 02, 2020, 11:52:36 PM »
A Vigilante

This is a hard hitting film about a woman, with a particular history, who is driven to mainly avenge other women who are beaten by their husbands. The story unfolds well in both a general and specific way. It highlights an unfortunately very real problem very well and I agree very much with the dispensation of her type of justice to the perpetrators.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30262 on: July 03, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »

Second viewing. Still a few criticisms, but liked it more this time around.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30263 on: July 03, 2020, 06:30:45 PM »
Angel and the Badman (1947) w/ John Wayne, Gail Russell, Harry Carey and Bruce Cabot - short synopsis below - Russell's eyes were just beautiful - great story - Gail's early death in her mid-30s is tragic (LINK) - recommended.

Anchors Aweigh (1945) w/ Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, & Kathryn Grayson; also Dean Stockwell in his youth - second synopsis below - not the same as their later film On the Town (1949) - expect less of a story, more a musical revue, some great numbers, and Gene dancing w/ a mouse in an animated scene - Dave :)

One of John Wayne's most mystical films, Angel and the Badman is also the first production that Wayne personally produced. The star plays a wounded outlaw who is sheltered by a Quaker family. Attracted to the family's angelic daughter Gail Russell, the hard-bitten Wayne undergoes a slow and subtle character transformation; still, he is obsessed with killing the man (Bruce Cabot) who murdered his foster father. The storyline traces not only the regeneration of Wayne, but of the single-minded sheriff (Harry Carey) who'd previously been determined to bring Wayne to justice.

Anchors Aweigh is a 1945 American Technicolor musical comedy film directed by George Sidney and starring Frank Sinatra, Kathryn Grayson, and Gene Kelly, with songs by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn. In the film, two sailors go on a four-day shore leave in Hollywood, meet a young boy and his aunt, an aspiring young singer, and the sailors try to help her get an audition at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. In addition to a live-action Kelly dancing with Jerry Mouse the cartoon mouse, the film also features José Iturbi, Pamela Britton, Dean Stockwell, and Sharon McManus

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30264 on: July 04, 2020, 04:36:22 AM »
Latter Days

Mostly, rather cheesy. Occasionally, quite emotional.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #30265 on: July 04, 2020, 05:04:04 AM »

The Hustle.  A gender-swapped remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Bedtime Story, this flick remains watchable only because of Rebel Wilson's willingness to do anything for a laugh.  Most of the time it works, but every once in a while one misses what was done in the 80s.  Wilson's Princess Hortense character compared to Steve Martin's Ruprecht (Oklahoma!) highlights all the shortcomings of this remake.  It's paint by numbers filmmaking across the board.  I kept wanting more.  At least it killed ninety minutes.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30266 on: July 05, 2020, 01:20:31 AM »

Wonderful effects that still hold up very well today for me.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30267 on: July 05, 2020, 04:17:14 AM »
Babel

Well, 13.5 years on, I like this film pretty much the same as I did the first time I saw it. Though the impact is inevitably a little different when you know how the stories are connected from the beginning, instead of finding out at various points.

But it's still a powerful take on the world's diversity.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30268 on: July 05, 2020, 01:03:06 PM »
On the 4th of July, we usually alternate watching Yankee Doodle Dandy or 1776 but disagreed on the choice last night, so I selected a couple of different films - The Patriot w/ Gibson - this film is quite atmospheric for us, i.e. we travel the Carolinas and have been to many of the Revolutionary battle sites and National Treasure w/ Cage, what more appropriate than stealing the Declaration of Independence:laugh:  Dave

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #30269 on: July 06, 2020, 06:33:40 AM »
The Patriot w/ Gibson

Hi, Dave! The movie stroke me as propaganda through and through but I greatly enjoyed what Gibson's character retorts at some time; I fear one tyrant 10,000 miles away much less than 100 of them at home (or something to that effect) --- with respect to whether the colonies should stay within UK or declare independence.  ;D
"Visând, întrezărim prin doruri –
latente-n pulberi aurii –
păduri ce ar putea să fie
și niciodată nu vor fi."

--- Lucian Blaga

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30270 on: July 06, 2020, 07:23:00 AM »
Hi, Dave! The movie stroke me as propaganda through and through but I greatly enjoyed what Gibson's character retorts at some time; I fear one tyrant 10,000 miles away much less than 100 of them at home (or something to that effect) --- with respect to whether the colonies should stay within UK or declare independence.  ;D

Hi Andrei - beginning of the Wiki article quoted below w/ an emphasis on 'historical fiction'!  Over the decades living in the Carolinas and visiting many of the areas where these events took place (and having read numerous books on the subject and the characters, a recent one on Francis Marion, the 'Swamp Fox') - the battles of Camden (at the beginning) and Cowpens (at the end) are all wrong although wonderfully filmed - I've been to Camden, SC - the battle took place outside of town, i.e. no houses; also have visited Cowpens, again not the way shown.

The British colonel, William Tavington is a fictional representation of Banastre Tarleton, who indeed was known as 'The Butcher' - whether he did all that was shown in the film is doubtful.  General Daniel Morgan virtually destroyed his army at the Battle of Cowpens, leading Cornwallis to retreat to Wilmington, NC to lick his wounds before entering Virginia, and ending up at Yorktown - and we know how that ended.

The southern campaign was more a civil war between the colonists and much of the 'butchery' took place not w/ the British soldiers but between the 'Tories' and 'Patriots', so I guess that would qualify in part as propaganda - Roger Ebert's review HERE, if interested.  BUT for me, the attraction of the movie is the filming in an area well known to me in our many travels here.  How would I rate the movie?  Probably 3* to 4* depending on whether ranking the distortion of history or the atmospheric scenery more important?  Dave :)

The Patriot is a 2000 American historical fiction war film directed by Roland Emmerich, written by Robert Rodat, and starring Mel Gibson, Chris Cooper, Heath Ledger, and Jason Isaacs. The film mainly takes place in rural Berkeley County, South Carolina, and depicts the story of an American Colonist, nominally loyal to the British Crown, who is swept into the American Revolutionary War when his family is affected. Benjamin Martin is a composite figure who Rodat has stated is based on four factual figures from the American Revolutionary War: Andrew Pickens, Francis Marion, Daniel Morgan, and Thomas Sumter.

The film takes place during the events of the Southern theater of the American Revolutionary War. It attracted controversy over its fictional portrayal of historical British figures and atrocities, especially with the infamous burning church scene, of which there is no historical record. Critic Roger Ebert wrote: "None of it has much to do with the historical reality of the Revolutionary War". (Source)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #30271 on: July 06, 2020, 07:48:52 AM »
The British colonel, William Tavington is a fictional representation of Banastre Tarleton, who indeed was known as 'The Butcher' - whether he did all that was shown in the film is doubtful. 

Yes, Banastre Tarleton is one of the main reasons I call the movie propaganda. That Tavington guy reminded me of oh so many Nazi colonels committing oh so many atrocities in oh so many movies about WWII. I always ask myself: had the Loyalists won and there had been no independent USA, or had the Nazi won, how would the Patriot or the Allied colonels have been portrayed in movies? And I always answer my own question thus: precisely and exactly like Tavington or Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Bastards: Patriots butchering Loyalist's childre and burning their churches, and Englishmen and American officers sadically torturing innocent German civilians.  ;D

The southern campaign was more a civil war between the colonists and much of the 'butchery' took place not w/ the British soldiers but between the 'Tories' and 'Patriots', so I guess that would qualify in part as propaganda - Roger Ebert's review HERE, if interested.

This, too.

BUT for me, the attraction of the movie is the filming in an area well known to me in our many travels here.   

I can see where you're coming from. I liked The Tourist (stupid and far-fetched plot) for the sole reason of its taking place in Venice, so there.  :)

"Visând, întrezărim prin doruri –
latente-n pulberi aurii –
păduri ce ar putea să fie
și niciodată nu vor fi."

--- Lucian Blaga

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30272 on: July 07, 2020, 03:58:33 AM »
The Town

This is a hard hitting crime thriller which can be violent but there is a good story to it.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #30273 on: July 07, 2020, 04:58:38 AM »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30274 on: July 07, 2020, 11:53:15 PM »
The Daughter

This is a film about lies and deception and the impact that they have and the consequences that follow. It makes for good viewing.