Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: relm1 on Today at 06:00:10 AMI loved the queen witch who was fabulous and over the top.  She looked very familiar and I realized the evil sorceress queen here:

...was the same beauty in the classic Twilight Zone episode, "The Lonely".

You speak of the great Jean Marsh, who gained fame in the c. 1970's British series Upstairs, Downstairs.

Yes, that Twilight Zone episode is a great one: it hearkens back, of course, to The Sandman, the malicious story by E.T.A. Hoffmann.

In her later years, Jean Marsh was also a villainess in Return to Oz:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on Today at 06:48:49 AMWith the exception of his Yorkshire Tea ad.

I can't give enough likes to this one  8) ... The Dog and Trumpet makes me laugh every time... :laugh: 
Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on Today at 08:30:39 AMYou speak of the great Jean Marsh, who gained fame in the c. 1970's British series Upstairs, Downstairs.

Yes, that Twilight Zone episode is a great one: it hearkens back, of course, to The Sandman, the malicious story by E.T.A. Hoffmann.

In her later years, Jean Marsh was also a villainess in Return to Oz:

I hadn't made the Return to Oz connection! And of course, "The Lonely" has an exquisite Herrmann score!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Quote from: pjme on Today at 06:04:46 AMUn métier sérieux -  A real job

A 2023 film by Thomas Lilti.
A nice little film, almost a documentary on teaching in France - anno 2023.

Teaching is 'a serious profession', this French film does not want to leave any misunderstandings about that. For a year we follow a group of teachers at an ordinary, contemporary secondary school. They have to deal with difficult students, boring teaching material, overwork, conflicts with parents and colleagues. But fortunately there is also a lot of satisfaction in return.
Un métier sérieux fits in with films such as Entre les murs and Das Lehrerzimmer (both very exiting, dramatic films),  but has less to offer in terms of drama and tension.
Still a beautiful professional portrait, with lots of nuance and excellent actors.

Peter

Hadn't heard of this - or of Das Lehrerzimmer. Thanks for the heads-up.

Have you seen Bertrand Tavernier's film "Ça commence aujourd'hui" or the documentary "Être et avoir" on the same theme?

Karl Henning

Ken Burns' film, The American Buffalo
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot