Author Topic: Coronavirus thread  (Read 175826 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Coronavirus thread
« Reply #4740 on: July 30, 2021, 08:42:21 AM »
I just found out that my sister has COVID. She works for the health department (restaurant health inspector) and has been fully vaccinated (Pfizer). Let’s hope that the vaccine does its job effectively, but, more importantly, I hope she makes a full recovery.

Warm wishes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #4741 on: July 30, 2021, 08:56:32 AM »
I just found out that my sister has COVID. She works for the health department (restaurant health inspector) and has been fully vaccinated (Pfizer). Let’s hope that the vaccine does its job effectively, but, more importantly, I hope she makes a full recovery.

I and my wife (48 and 47 respectively) had Covid in early March and we were not vaccinated. Had only minor symptoms (the most annoying being the loss of smell and taste but it didn't last long for me, longer for my wife, though --- she's not fully recovered yet in this respect). Your sister being vaccinated, she shouldn't have any problems. Best wishes to her, hoping for a quick and full recovery!
"Melody is the essence of music."  --- Mozart

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #4742 on: July 30, 2021, 09:25:35 AM »
CDC studies found 2.5 severe reactions per million Moderna shots administered and no deaths. The person you heard the story about may very well have been hospitalized for something unrelated to the vaccine.

The delta variant is probably 3 times more contagious than the Covid-19 virus that first reached the U.S. You are going to get it sooner or later and without a vaccine you may very well have a severe case. I don't think you can say it is a strictly "personal decision" since you will become a vector for transmitting the virus and a reservoir in which the virus can mutate.

The idea that if you’re vaccinated then you’re less of a vector, or less of a reservoir for mutations, is possibly wishful thinking

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/30/health/breakthrough-infection-masks-cdc-provincetown-study/index.html

If that’s right, it’s harder to make out the argument from social responsibility for vaccination that you’ve been using against Mirror Image.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Spotted Horses

• Formerly Baron Scarpia
« Reply #4743 on: July 30, 2021, 09:36:20 AM »

Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully the vaccine will prevent severe illness, as data indicates it does in most cases.

I’ll be off next week for five days and I plan on getting the first dose during that time off.

Very glad to hear this. The risk is small and the potential benefit large.

The idea that if you’re vaccinated then you’re less of a vector, or less of a reservoir for mutations, is possibly wishful thinking

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/30/health/breakthrough-infection-masks-cdc-provincetown-study/index.html

If that’s right, it’s harder to make out the argument from social responsibility for vaccination that you’ve been using against Mirror Image.

This is very concerning, I agree. The CDC indicated that there was conclusive data that the vaccines reduce transmission for the Covid-19 variants that were circulating at the start of the epidemic, but seem to indicate that delta variant is behaving differently.

It should be a straightforward task to reformulate the mRNA vaccines so that they are based on the delta variant spike domain. Perhaps that will be decisive. Otherwise we are in for a rough ride.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4744 on: July 30, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »

This is very concerning, I agree. The CDC indicated that there was conclusive data that the vaccines reduce transmission for the Covid-19 variants that were circulating at the start of the epidemic, but seem to indicate that delta variant is behaving differently.

It should be a straightforward task to reformulate the mRNA vaccines so that they are based on the delta variant spike domain. Perhaps that will be decisive. Otherwise we are in for a rough ride.
Perhaps it might be a case of a booster shot for the Delta variant?  Or are there studies that think that we would need to get a 2-shot (or whatever is needed) in terms of a new vaccine?  Probably being overly hopeful here.

PD

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #4745 on: July 30, 2021, 11:27:22 AM »
The thing to say is that it's a very small study and probably not true. But it does show how precarious our understanding of the disease is.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4746 on: July 30, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »
Just heard that the Delta variant is as contagious as the chicken pox.   :o

PD

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #4747 on: July 30, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »
The thing to say is that it's a very small study and probably not true. But it does show how precarious our understanding of the disease is.

Yes. there are conflicting results of studies and experts disagree. The Danish Serum Institute has found out - now the Delta variant has become predominant here, that fully vaccinated people only constitute 1% of those which contract the disease, and they tend to be hospitalized much less than unvaccinated people. Maybe some of the reason of the low percentage is that vaccinated persons get fewer symptoms and tend to be tested less.

Our health authorities think that we only need to give the particularly vulnerable group a third jab in the course of the next 6 months, but a Danish expert (Jens Østergaard) says, that we will need to give all vaccinated people a third jab to cope with the Delta variant . I hope they find out before it's too late.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #4748 on: July 30, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »
Is there clear evidence that the vaccines are effective at stopping you catching delta - I know they are effective at stopping symptoms. I just can’t see anything about this online!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:30:43 PM by Mandryka »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4749 on: July 30, 2021, 12:45:39 PM »
CDC study shows three-fourths of people infected in Massachusetts covid-19 outbreak were vaccinated but few required hospitalization

Critically, the study found that vaccinated individuals carried as much virus in their noses as unvaccinated individuals, and that vaccinated people could spread the virus to each other. The CDC was criticized this week for changing its mask guidance without publishing the data it relied on. The report released Friday contains that data.

Scientists said the Provincetown outbreak and other recent data on breakthrough infections make clear that the vaccines offer significant protection, as they were designed to, against severe illness and death but do not offer blanket protection against any chance of infection. Only a handful of people in the outbreak were hospitalized, but four of them were fully vaccinated.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
« Reply #4750 on: July 30, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
Is there clear evidence that the vaccines are effective at stopping you catching delta - I know they are effective at stopping symptoms. I just can’t see anything about this online!

I think the consensus is that vaccines reduce the risk of getting infection, but there is doubt as to how much, and there is also doubt as to how much the vaccinated, infected persons are prone to infect others.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

• Veteran member

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Romantic Era through the 20th Century
« Reply #4752 on: July 30, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »
I and my wife (48 and 47 respectively) had Covid in early March and we were not vaccinated. Had only minor symptoms (the most annoying being the loss of smell and taste but it didn't last long for me, longer for my wife, though --- she's not fully recovered yet in this respect). Your sister being vaccinated, she shouldn't have any problems. Best wishes to her, hoping for a quick and full recovery!

Thank you, Andrei.

Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully the vaccine will prevent severe illness, as data indicates it does in most cases.

I appreciate it, SH.
“Competitions are for horses; not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Romantic Era through the 20th Century
« Reply #4753 on: July 30, 2021, 08:03:58 PM »
Firstly, very sorry to hear that your sister has contracted Covid and hope that she fully recovers and soon!

Secondly, I'm delighted to hear that you will be getting your vaccine next week and hope that all goes smoothly.  Please keep in touch here and let us know how it all goes and any reactions.

Best wishes,

PD

Thanks, PD.
“Competitions are for horses; not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #4754 on: July 30, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »
I think the consensus is that vaccines reduce the risk of getting infection, but there is doubt as to how much, and there is also doubt as to how much the vaccinated, infected persons are prone to infect others.

But no evidence - don’t forget the consensus was that vaccination is effective against transmission!

Interesting to be watching the cutting edge of a science operate - everything is so precarious, everything rests on temporary consensus.