What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 08:03:30 AMSalvor Hardin was famous for saying "violence is the last act of the incompetent" and finding nonviolent resolutions, while in the tv show Salvor solves most issues with violence, including Salvor and a reincarnated Harry Seldon murdering someone while Harry quips "I never liked her anyway." 
As someone who read the original trilogy as a teenager. I'm profoundly disappointed in this. And, a non-judgmental corrigendum, as this thought arises from your citation, I believe it's actually the last refuge. I seem to remember that phrase being echoed in the curtain line of the chapter.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on Today at 08:18:57 AMAs someone who read the original trilogy as a teenager. I'm profoundly disappointed in this. And, a non-judgmental corrigendum, as this thought arises from your citation, I believe it's actually the last refuge. I seem to remember that phrase being echoed in the curtain line of the chapter.

I humbly stand corrected sir. 8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

krummholz

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 08:03:30 AMI think the biggest changes were (a) in the books psychohistory predicts what large groups of people do because we are predictable over large numbers, and has nothing to say about the individual, while in the tv show it is exactly opposite.

That's surprising. Is it explained? I distinctly remember Hari Seldon in the first episode, under questioning, answering that psychohistory can only predict the behavior of large numbers of people. If it just sort-of happens that "special individuals matter more than the group", with no discussion of what that means for Seldon's theory, or whether it is somehow consistent after all with his theory, I'd call that a failure of continuity.