What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell_E and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Iota

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 13, 2024, 05:32:18 PMGlad you liked it. My friend has watched the extras on the dvd and tells me the original ending for the story of the sister in law and her mother is there, the one Meadows scrapped and reshot after the filming had officially wrapped. Apparently its still not a reconciliation, but doesn't go quite as dark, so I'm keen to see that.

I don't think I've seen Time, so will go looking for it. Thanks.

Thanks, that's really interesting to hear about the original endings. The fact that the drama ends on such a traumatic out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire moment (and not just for the sister-in-law I feel), having seemed to have offered a momentary foothold of sorts, at least for Joe, was another big part of its impact for me.

Here I couldn't help myself and am back in the saddle with the brilliant 'This is England '86' series. In the first five minutes four belly laughs and straight back under the Meadows dramatic spell. Brilliant characters/actors all, and the usual perfect marriage of actor and character that Meadows always seems to achieve. One of the few living artists I would unhesitatingly call a genius.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Iota on April 14, 2024, 02:01:38 AMThanks, that's really interesting to hear about the original endings. The fact that the drama ends on such a traumatic out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire moment (and not just for the sister-in-law I feel), having seemed to have offered a momentary foothold of sorts, at least for Joe, was another big part of its impact for me.

I watched that original ending tonight (after watching Dead Man's Shoes with a friend). It's very different. Most notably it has no religious imagery or mention of religion. It would make for an interesting conversation about which ending you prefer and why.

One thought I offered to my friend was that after Meadows had made so many brilliant reconciliation scenes he finally thought that maybe some things can't be forgiven. Maybe sometimes you can't dig down into a person to find their humanity and to find the way that they too had been hurt.

Iota

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 14, 2024, 02:47:15 AMI watched that original ending tonight (after watching Dead Man's Shoes with a friend). It's very different. Most notably it has no religious imagery or mention of religion. It would make for an interesting conversation about which ending you prefer and why.
One thought I offered to my friend was that after Meadows had made so many brilliant reconciliation scenes he finally thought that maybe some things can't be forgiven. Maybe sometimes you can't dig down into a person to find their humanity and to find the way that they too had been hurt.

An interesting thought, which certainly seems plausible. My own feeling was that as the drama had long since tipped over the edge of the abyss of madness, his instinct was perhaps to end it not with any kind of conciliatory epiphany or even neutrality, but to just push the dial even further, beyond 11 as it were, thus making it no kind of ending at all and thus reflecting life, red in tooth and claw as it can be sometimes. But who knows.

I was chatting with somebody yesterday about it, and was in the weird position of having waxed lyrical about how brilliant it was, then saying that actually I wasn't sure I'd recommend it to anybody, unless they were sure they'd be happy to dive into something that might be well out of many peoples comfort zones. I'm sure there must be many who would find it went beyond the pale for them. And I can imagine in some moods it might seem a bit too much for me to take, and I'd need to wait for the right moment.

George

Watching this show now, I'm up to Season 2, episode 2. I love the main character, played by Jean Smart, but the protégé is almost annoying. Maybe that's what they were going for, or maybe I am getting old. (Or both.) Anyway, worth a watch, even if I think it could have been a lot better. Why is it shows/movies about things, (standup, poker, etc) so often have very little of that actual thing in it? 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Watched a few episodes of The Walton Goggins Show Fallout.  Based on a video game I used to play along with my son a decade or whatever ago, and helmed by the less talented Nolan brother, this mostly cartoon ain't too shabby.  It's high concept, includes some almost thought-provoking ideas, and some slightly self-unaware thinky ideas - eg, multi-gazillionaire owned studio bankrolls gazillionaire producer in bringing up class issues - and it looks like the sleekest video game ever brought to life.  The violence is over the top, surpassing the game, and basically evoking and surpassing the best that Troma films once offered.  When Kyle MacLachlan is a supporting cast member, and when the perfectly cast Dale Dickey is involved, the viewer knows some good stuff will show up on screen.  And Goggins, as always, delivers.  When he is not on screen, the show chugs along dutifully and nicely enough, but when he chews the scenery, it lights up.  This here is some high gloss throwaway entertainment.  I don't know how the season ends and whether there can be a second season, but since Nolan the Lesser is involved, if there is more to come, I fully expect the Westworld precedent to be followed: a brilliant first season followed by exponential decay. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 13, 2024, 06:46:31 PM"Dialogues With Death" on Thriller: Best use of a telephone on television? Maybe.
The title is certainly quite thrilling!  :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on April 14, 2024, 10:36:45 AM

Watched a few episodes of The Walton Goggins Show Fallout.  Based on a video game I used to play along with my son a decade or whatever ago, and helmed by the less talented Nolan brother, this mostly cartoon ain't too shabby.  It's high concept, includes some almost thought-provoking ideas, and some slightly self-unaware thinky ideas - eg, multi-gazillionaire owned studio bankrolls gazillionaire producer in bringing up class issues - and it looks like the sleekest video game ever brought to life.  The violence is over the top, surpassing the game, and basically evoking and surpassing the best that Troma films once offered.  When Kyle MacLachlan is a supporting cast member, and when the perfectly cast Dale Dickey is involved, the viewer knows some good stuff will show up on screen.  And Goggins, as always, delivers.  When he is not on screen, the show chugs along dutifully and nicely enough, but when he chews the scenery, it lights up.  This here is some high gloss throwaway entertainment.  I don't know how the season ends and whether there can be a second season, but since Nolan the Lesser is involved, if there is more to come, I fully expect the Westworld precedent to be followed: a brilliant first season followed by exponential decay. 

Mostly on Todd's favourble nod I have watch the first episode of this series.  I must say I enjoyed it.  My initial reaction is that it's much less inane than I expected.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 15, 2024, 01:52:27 AMThe title is certainly quite thrilling!  :o

PD
And the series host, Boris Karloff, plays roles in both parts of this diptych.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roy Bland on March 01, 2024, 05:41:48 PM
Well, it turns out that there is yet another Rex Stout story in common between the two series: "What Happened to April" is based on "Death of a Doxy."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 15, 2024, 06:46:47 PMWell, it turns out that there is yet another Rex Stout story in common between the two series: "What Happened to April" is based on "Death of a Doxy."
Fun to see Thaao Penghlis, whom I'd only known from the 80's reboot of Mission: Impossible 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA