Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on April 26, 2024, 10:36:16 AM
A friend of mine just told me about St. Vincent last night.  So far, I've checked out two of her videos and enjoyed them.  First one was "Big Time Nothing".  Today, I listened again to that song and also played the official video version of "Broken Man".  Quite clever and artistic!

What did you think of that album, Todd?  And any favorites from it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 07:48:55 AMA friend of mine just told me about St. Vincent last night.  So far, I've checked out two of her videos and enjoyed them.  First one was "Big Time Nothing".  Today, I listened again to that song and also played the official video version of "Broken Man".  Quite clever and artistic!

What did you think of that album, Todd?  And any favorites from it?

PD

You might be interested in the film in which she plays herself, The Nowhere Inn.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: AnotherSpin on Today at 08:02:29 AMYou might be interested in the film in which she plays herself, The Nowhere Inn.
Thanks!  I'll jot it down.  :)

Note:  I just listened to "Flea".  Good "stuff"!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 07:48:55 AMWhat did you think of that album, Todd?

Like all her albums, it's extremely fine.  Ms Clark is one of the best pop musicians out there today qualitatively.  I can't say that any one song on this album stands out, it just goes from solid track to solid track.  Thus far, her eponymous album stands as her best, and it has her best single as well, Birth in Reverse
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on Today at 08:06:54 AMLike all her albums, it's extremely fine.  Ms Clark is one of the best pop musicians out there today qualitatively.  I can't say that any one song on this album stands out, it just goes from solid track to solid track.  Thus far, her eponymous album stands as her best, and it has her best single as well, Birth in Reverse
Thanks, I'll check it out.  :)

Her music (and videos) so far made me think of a combo of David Bowie meets Kate Bush with sometimes a dose of metal?  Hmmm?  It is nice to hear something/someone new...I get tired of listening to the same music all of the time lol.  Been trying out some new (to me anyway) artists and their music via (mostly) my local library.  Youtube has been a big blessing too (except when they throw in ads in the middle of a classical piece!).

PD

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 08:15:24 AMHer music (and videos) so far made me think of a combo of David Bowie meets Kate Bush with sometimes a dose of metal?

If memory serves, her guitar work was refined and developed in various avant garde styles, with her name being associated with Math Rock, though I don't keep up with microgenres enough to know for sure.  That would explain the hard rock/heavy metal sound.  Her "indie" style has many influences, which is one of the reasons she recorded with David Byrne. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on Today at 08:35:45 AMIf memory serves, her guitar work was refined and developed in various avant garde styles, with her name being associated with Math Rock, though I don't keep up with microgenres enough to know for sure.  That would explain the hard rock/heavy metal sound.  Her "indie" style has many influences, which is one of the reasons she recorded with David Byrne. 
I read that she had worked with David Byrne.  Was it on various songs on one album or?  I also noticed that she had done at least one song with David Grohl on the drums.

I'll google Math Rock which I hadn't heard of before now.  And, yes, there are too many subgenres to keep track of!  ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

DaveF

Gnidrolog: ...in spite of Harry's toe-nail:

Crazy title, crazy guys.  It lies somewhere between Henry Cow (without the politics) and Gentle Giant, so suits me just fine.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison