What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ, San Antone, Karl Henning and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DavidW

I also finished S1 of Foundation.  I thought it was great.  I know I read them so long ago, if it was fresh I might have been mad... but those short stories and novellas have clever ideas but not much in the way of character development and depth.  I think the changes for the adaptation were necessary to make a tv show out of it, and I feel like ultimately it honors the themes and tone of the trilogy... but keep in mind that it has been a long time since I read it.

There is only one thing which is the violation of the three laws of robotics.  I do know that the last robot in the books adhered to the zeroth law which allowed him to do that, but that has not been addressed in the show.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 24, 2024, 09:35:30 AMI also finished S1 of Foundation.  I thought it was great.  I know I read them so long ago, if it was fresh I might have been mad... but those short stories and novellas have clever ideas but not much in the way of character development and depth.  I think the changes for the adaptation were necessary to make a tv show out of it, and I feel like ultimately it honors the themes and tone of the trilogy... but keep in mind that it has been a long time since I read it.

There is only one thing which is the violation of the three laws of robotics.  I do know that the last robot in the books adhered to the zeroth law which allowed him to do that, but that has not been addressed in the show.

Boy, I haven't read those books for a gazillion years!  It looks like it's an Apple exclusive?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 24, 2024, 01:23:30 PMBoy, I haven't read those books for a gazillion years!  It looks like it's an Apple exclusive?

PD

Yup it is on Apple Plus.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Odds and ends from my recent viewing of The New Twilight Zone. The "Christmas Show" is fun: "But Can She Type" is probably my favorite of that triptych, with a brief appearance by Jno Frakes as a superficial dude at a cocktail party. The remake of "Night of the Meek" is passable. Even allowing for the original suffering the disadvantage of having been shot on tape rather than film (in retrospect, an ill-considered "cost save" that season. It hadn't registered, the first time I watched "The Star" that it featured Fritz Weaver. Weaver played across Leslie Nielsen in the Night Gallery episode "A Question of Fear. As to other New TZ stories, John Carradine (and son?) appear in "Still Life," a fun riff on the "natives think that the camera steals their soul" motif. Kenneth Mars is the Tooth Fairy in "Tooth and Consequences," whose plot germ bears a passing familiarity to "The Chaser" from the original series. "Monsters" is a fun, and suitably unconventional vampire story. "The Elevator" is a creepy Ray Bradbury story. Bradbury was an important (generally offstage) personality for Serling's original series, a mentor to Beaumont and Matheson, although the way things fell into place (or didn't) there was only one direct Bradbury contribution to the original show.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on Today at 09:56:29 AMOdds and ends from my recent viewing of The New Twilight Zone. The "Christmas Show" is fun: "But Can She Type" is probably my favorite of that triptych, with a brief appearance by Jno Frakes as a superficial dude at a cocktail party. The remake of "Night of the Meek" is passable. Even allowing for the original suffering the disadvantage of having been shot on tape rather than film (in retrospect, an ill-considered "cost save" that season. It hadn't registered, the first time I watched "The Star" that it featured Fritz Weaver. Weaver played across Leslie Nielsen in the Night Gallery episode "A Question of Fear. As to other New TZ stories, John Carradine (and son?) appear in "Still Life," a fun riff on the "natives think that the camera steals their soul" motif. Kenneth Mars is the Tooth Fairy in "Tooth and Consequences," whose plot germ bears a passing familiarity to "The Chaser" from the original series. "Monsters" is a fun, and suitably unconventional vampire story. "The Elevator" is a creepy Ray Bradbury story. Bradbury was an important (generally offstage) personality for Serling's original series, a mentor to Beaumont and Matheson, although the way things fell into place (or didn't) there was only one direct Bradbury contribution to the original show.

I see that the new series didn't last long.   :(

Sneaking in a bit more tennis before listening to the Davis Prom concert.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 10:14:49 AMI see that the new series didn't last long.  :(

PD
It really lasted only two seasons; they produced a third season for syndication. The classic observation by Creative Consultant Harlan Ellison was on the lines of: You know you're sunk if you can't beat Webster in the ratings.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot