What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longears

Quote from: MN Dave on February 11, 2008, 06:50:03 AM
I stopped reading this. Too much of a Christian perspective. Yeah, I know he's a Catholic monk, but based on all the accolades, I expected a more philosophically neutral book.
The error is in regarding a mind closed to the divine as "neutral."

MN Dave

Quote from: longears on February 14, 2008, 04:48:48 AM
The error is in regarding a mind closed to the divine as "neutral."

Nothing to do with that. Too much faith, hope, charity, God, Jesus, etc.

Haffner

Bogey

My wife gave this to me for Valentine's Day.  Mostly "captional" text, and incredible photos...many I have never seen.  The book is coffee table size (14.5 x 11.2 x 1.4 inches), 300+ pages long, and almost 7lbs.  Amazon has it at 50% off.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Kullervo

W. Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage in a very nice Modern Library edition (copyright says 1915, but that probably isn't the print date).

SonicMan46

Gastrointestinal Radiology (2008, 3rd ed.), edited by Gore & Levine - LOL!  ;D  Hey, but true for the weekend! Just released - 2 volume set @ 2500+ pages - I actually wrote 2 chapters in Vol. 1 - but I have a couple lectures comin' up in a few weeks w/ my radiology residents on the biliary tract & the pancreas, so I've been updating myself -  ;)  My residents are 'sharp as tacks' so need to be ahead of the game - but, keeps you goin' -  :D

orbital

This was just standing there in our bookcase. It started quite ok, let's see how it goes.

George

Quote from: orbital on February 18, 2008, 01:58:15 PM

This was just standing there in our bookcase. It started quite ok, let's see how it goes.

Sorry to interrupt your reading ;D but did you see that movie, Everything is Illuminated? I found it funny and interesting. 

orbital

Quote from: George on February 19, 2008, 07:43:43 AM
Sorry to interrupt your reading ;D but did you see that movie, Everything is Illuminated? I found it funny and interesting. 
No, I haven't read the book either. I've seen the dvd cover a lot at the rental store, let me get it :)

Haffner

Life of Richard Wagner vol.2 (Newman)

Still fascinating; I only get bored reading about the political mess in Germany at the time. politics never really interests me in general. Otherwise, terrific reading!

EmpNapoleon

Reading the Theban Trilogy of Sophocles again and again for years now.  I still can't picture that they used no female actors, but had female roles.  I know everyone on stage wore a mask, but sill. 

Why has there never been an Oedipus movie in the cinema.  That character is responsible for drama.

M forever

Quote from: Haffner on February 19, 2008, 09:15:26 AM
Life of Richard Wagner vol.2 (Newman)

Still fascinating; I only get bored reading about the political mess in Germany at the time. politics never really interests me in general.

Still very important to understand Wagner's life and works though, among other cultural and historical factors.

Anne

Quote from: EmpNapoleon on February 19, 2008, 02:10:14 PM
Reading the Theban Trilogy of Sophocles again and again for years now.  I still can't picture that they used no female actors, but had female roles.  I know everyone on stage wore a mask, but sill. 

Why has there never been an Oedipus movie in the cinema.  That character is responsible for drama.

I think there are 2 Oedipus DVD's and I have them.  There may be more.

Danny

A 1946 edition of The Great Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant, edited buy William Brockway. So far each story has provided either profound insights, humorous incidents or feel good moments. 

Haffner

Quote from: M forever on February 19, 2008, 06:04:11 PM
Still very important to understand Wagner's life and works though, among other cultural and historical factors.

Ja! The author asserts often the idea that Wagner could have given us many more music dramas if he hadn't been so constantly busy begging money, writing pamphlets, drinking champagne, chasing women, and participating in various "revolutionary" activities. However, I suspect that the life he led had alot to do with how profoundly inspirational the music dramas he did write were.

Without the life, there would have been no great drama. Just a speculation of mine.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Haffner on February 20, 2008, 02:35:55 AM
Ja! The author asserts often the idea that Wagner could have given us many more music dramas if he hadn't been so constantly busy begging money, writing pamphlets, drinking champagne, chasing women, and participating in various "revolutionary" activities. However, I suspect that the life he led had alot to do with how profoundly inspirational the music dramas he did write were.

Without the life, there would have been no great drama. Just a speculation of mine.

I agree. An artist isn't a masterpiece-producing machine, cut loose from reality. Though twenty music dramas would have been great...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

longears

Quote from: EmpNapoleon on February 19, 2008, 02:10:14 PM
Why has there never been an Oedipus movie in the cinema.
A quick google will show a few movies and teleplays.  And here's a link to one you might enjoy: http://www.oedipusthemovie.com/

Haffner

rockerreds